Hemispherical Power Historical

M42Sparks

Okay so i only recently started to keep an eye on these readings. The overal average seems quite high. Is there a rational acceptable normal level. I seem to recall it barely being 15GW per Hemisphere a year or so ago.

Edited by M42Sparks
Spelling

4 hours ago, M42Sparks said:

Okay so i only recently started to keep an eye on these readings. The overal average seems quite high. Is there a rational acceptable normal kevel. I seem to recall it barely bei g 15GW per Hemisphere a year or so ago.

I just searched around a bit and couldn't immediately find any historical data; there was supposed to be some on NOAA's site, but I could only find recent values.

I would guess, though, that the values are not that high compared to historically. A year ago we were still not that far into the cycle, and the cycle has not been that strong overall either, so lower average values at that point is what I'd expect. It's also easy to get the average wrong when eyeballing it due to e.g. higher values being more noticeable, low and sporadic sampling rate, and so on.

If someone knows where to find historical data on it (if it exists), that'd be great, then we could compare it more directly.

• Like 1

You might try GFZ in Germany as a suggestion.  

2 hours ago, Philalethes said:

I just searched around a bit and couldn't immediately find any historical data; there was supposed to be some on NOAA's site, but I could only find recent values.

I would guess, though, that the values are not that high compared to historically. A year ago we were still not that far into the cycle, and the cycle has not been that strong overall either, so lower average values at that point is what I'd expect. It's also easy to get the average wrong when eyeballing it due to e.g. higher values being more noticeable, low and sporadic sampling rate, and so on.

If someone knows where to find historical data on it (if it exists), that'd be great, then we could compare it more directly.

A note of caution if pulling data: I had difficulty with their ftp server. possibly because I am not a registered user.  Hopefully ya find whatcha are after.  Mike/Hagrid. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
ftp issues
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, M42Sparks said:

Wonderful answer in technical terms but i was hoping for an easier to confirm the "Normal" range.

The bottom two plots above should give good indications of what the normal ranges are. As you can see in e.g. the very bottom one, for most of the time we've recorded the Kp-index, which is a good estimate of hemispheric power, it's been significantly higher on average; our current "high" is just barely higher than the "low" of the lowest previous cycles (except for that of SC24, which brought exceptionally low activity). If considering the overall records, it would be fair to say that a normal range would be something like 20-50 GW on average.

Edited by Philalethes