Famous US meteorologist claims Aurora Borealis will be visible as south as Alabama tonight. Is this true?

kota

There has been a lot of geomagnetic activity up to the severe G4 geomagentic storm level tonight over Europe due to the CME arrival. Aurora was seen overhead in the Netherlands (!!!) Right now the Bz has swinged strong northward which will suppress geomagnetic activity. Alabama is only possible if the Bz flips southward again towards -20nT but as it is right now it does not seem very likely that the aurora will be seen that far south with the current conditions. But again it depends on what the solar wind does in the next few hours.

• Like 2

That sounds extremely far south, even for the current potential conditions. There have indeed been multiple reports across Europe, but the northernmost point of Alabama is at ~35° N, which is at the very edge of the mid-latitudes; it's one degree further south than the southernmost point of the entire European mainland.

Consider me highly skeptical of that possibility, but it's not impossible.

Looks like we are now inside the core of the CME which means the Bt and Bz could stay steady like this for multiple hours. I am beginning to believe we could yet again see severe G4 conditions and most of the US could catch a glimpse of aurora. This is the best solar storm in years.

• Cool 1

24 minutes ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Looks like we are now inside the core of the CME which means the Bt and Bz could stay steady like this for multiple hours. I am beginning to believe we could yet again see severe G4 conditions and most of the US could catch a glimpse of aurora. This is the best solar storm in years.

Cloud cover is quickly clearing up too in some places in North America tonight, should make for some great views in Toronto => New York

On 4/23/2023 at 8:29 PM, Marcel de Bont said:

The BEST in years? Ofc it was stormy all night. 

damn I have bad luck 💀

It was the first time ever I've seen AB/NL at Boulder, Colorado ~40-degrees lat (home of NOAA). If not for moon brightness and clouds during the UTC 3-6 kp8 time frame, then so humid/hazy as it was fading during UTC 6-9, it would have been spectacular. Here I captured it at UTC 8 looking northeast over the lights of Boulder.

OverBoulder1080.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Christopher S. said:

35 degrees lat here. Sadly too far south.

I just saw this on Twitter:

Apparently Arizona ranges from ~31.3° to 37° N, so I would guess that means it was visible below the 35° mark somewhere; I would definitely never have expected that, that's quite remarkable.

ap-forecast-1.webp.2df7137e0eb546551439773b9c257f6f.webpap-forecast-3(2).webp.d214961bc5579b250fbba84d9bff6f0f.webpap-forecast-3(1).webp.ec30200c0fea4bf8de7c53dd94b33f3c.webp

This phenomenon seems to have been happening on a monthly basis, at each Carrington Rotation, since 26/27 February, as that particular location on the solar surface turns to face Earth, with the associated aurora each time.

Anybody got any good analysis of the "Solar Hot-Spot" that is causing this and whether it is likely to continue ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Atmosphere Guy said:

Anybody got any good analysis of the "Solar Hot-Spot" that is causing this and whether it is likely to continue ?

Peak in Ap 27th Feb - could be linked to M6.3 flare from AR3229 on 25th Feb, located at Carrington longitude 35 / latitude 21S

Peak in Ap 23rd / 24th March - could be linked to M1.2 flare from AR3256 on 20th March, located at Carrington longitude 4 / latitude 20S

Peak in Ap 23rd / 24th April - could be linked to M1.7 flare from AR3283 on 21st March, located at Carrington longitude 359 / latitude 22S

It is possible that there has also been influence from repetitive Coronal Holes which have crossed centre disk close to time when these flares were produced

There has been significant development in magnetic field in this zone.......

ComparisonRotations2266to2269.jpg.5f19d5484d88cafeb36c15b2aacfdd15.jpg

I would not have much confidence in predicting what will happen next month.

• Like 1