Geomagnetic storm 23 april 2023 theory?

Go to solution Solved by Christopher S.,

I've read and see a lot of articles about a Solar event that is supposed to happen the 23 april 2023, a Big geomagnetic storm but i don't know what to think of it, is it just Fake news or exagerated ? I check Space weather.com and i didn't see anything special, Can someone tell me more about this ? Thanks you in advance 

Edited by Sam Warfel
sensationalism/fearmongering

I'm not entirely sure why Spaceweather.com is being bashed regularly here. Apart from not being updated as quickly as SWL, it's not doing any doom or fear mongering that I can see. It to just states facts without much exaggeration. Even the latest CME news clearly state rather uninteresting G2 activity at max.
I do agree however to educate oneself from reputable scientific sources, like this site here, NOAA or NASA. ESA is unfortunately not very forthcoming with information, which I personally find rather sad. 

6 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I'm not entirely sure why Spaceweather.com is being bashed regularly here. Apart from not being updated as quickly as SWL, it's not doing any doom or fear mongering that I can see. It to just states facts without much exaggeration. Even the latest CME news clearly state rather uninteresting G2 activity at max.
I do agree however to educate oneself from reputable scientific sources, like this site here, NOAA or NASA. ESA is unfortunately not very forthcoming with information, which I personally find rather sad. 

Spaceweather.com loves to exaggerate wording and risks. It's just how they roll.

• Like 2

Okay, yes, they are quite a way away from the hard and cold facts stated unexcitedly by the actual scientific organisations. But then they also sell ads and actual gimmicks  to stay keep their education and research going in a place the like US where notorious underfunding of education is quite common. One does not need to like it.
On that note I agree, that spaceweather.com may not be the best source of information for already anxious people.
Coming here is much more educational.

• Like 1

• Sam Warfel changed the title to Geomagnetic storm 23 april 2023 theory?

People are probably overexerting this CME or proposing that the date of one month since the March 23rd G4 is significant.
Neither is accurate.  Storms don't go on a monthly schedule, and the current CME and storm watch is of a thoroughly average sort, given we are approaching solar maximum. Nothing to be concerned about, just a chance for good aurora.
It's also the peak of the Lyrids meteor shower! Maybe we can enjoy a double show! 

Let's keep any further discussion of this CME before it impacts to the thread for its AR