Sunspot region 3283 (M1.7 solar flare)

MinYoongi

I think it was 3283; I was about to make this thread myself.

I'd agree that it looks quite eruptive indeed, both from the the flux and from looking at SUVI. Great position for an Earth-directed CME too, will be interesting to watch what pops up on LASCO.

• Like 1

Just now, Philalethes Bythos said:

I think it was 3283; I was about to make this thread myself.

I'd agree that it looks quite eruptive indeed, both from the the flux and from looking at SUVI. Great position for an Earth-directed CME too, will be interesting to watch what pops up on LASCO.

People are already claiming its "huge" and will do a "massive geomagnetic storm" which is kinda startling me a bit.. i'd like opinions

• Like 1

A very nice M1.7 solar flare is currently taking place around sunspot region 3283 which is located near the center of the earth-facing solar disk. It is a long duration solar flare and I do expect a coronal mass ejection with a likely earth-directed component from this event based on the most recent SDO imagery available. More information will follow when coronagraph imagery from SOHO becomes available.

latest_1024_0131.jpg

M1.gif

• Cool 1

Just now, Philalethes Bythos said:

Probably best to merge the two threads I guess. But yes, this one looks promising for sure, would surprise me if there's nothing Earth-directed.

i just wonder how people are already saying its gonna be an extreme geomagnetic storm

@Marcel de Bont this does not give away a hint to the CME speed right?

• Like 1

6 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

hey, i already opened a thread for this eruption. could you merge mine into this? 

I merged the threads, I did not knew you made one already, I just looked at the titles and did not saw one for sunspot region 3283.

1 minuut geleden, Landon Moeller zei:

I fully expect at least a partial halo, if not full. This is one of the best looks ive ever seen, and filaments tend to produce nice cme's

Agreed, could be at least an asymmetrical full halo. Maybe not a super fast CME but something did release.

https://www.sidc.be/solardemon/dimmings_details.php?science=0&dimming_id=6178&delay=80&prefix=pBDI_&small=1&aid=0&graph=1 

Here is a cool EIT/Dimming graph for you guys.

1 minute ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Maybe not a super fast CME but something did release.

Did it look slow to you? to me it looked rather fast/ not super fast

@Marcel de Bont @Vancanneyt Sander @Philalethes Bythos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NEAurora said:

Not speaking from a place of expertise, but comparing this to other Earth directed flares I can remember seeing, this one looks pretty darn good, especially for M1. I’m stoked to see what lasco looks like.

i agree with you :) 

I just wish people would stop dooming on SM

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drax Spacex said:

I expect a full halo out of this one.

and what else? Speedwise etc.

btw i asked this earlier but i think it got repressed by all the other stuff (understandable)

The type2 emission is 580kms, is this in any way related to the CME's speed and could tell us how fast it could be?

a3d4fad42f9243230388cf67ab54b5b0.png

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Yay Fridays CMEs. A wonderful looking shock across the solar disk and full halo.

I believe 2 CMEs looked to have launched within a few minutes, so it's interesting.

I'm thinking this is may bring a moderate event, Kp7 likely and Kp8 possible. I will go with a preliminary arrival time at L1 of 2023/04/23 7:10Z (37 hour travel time) with a chance of error +-7.5 hours. 

Oh , 2? Interesting. i think its an uneven filament release, this could explain the 2 cmes.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Oh , 2? Interesting. i think its an uneven filament release, this could explain the 2 cmes.

The speeds look close to each other. The first seemed to be the slower and slightly southwestward directed. The second is the faster and very slightly southeastward directed.

novice here.

so we have an uneven filament release>3283 M1.7>2 cmes>Kp7/8>earlier cme:slower and SW bound>2nd cme faster and SE bound> L1 of 2023/04/23 7:10Z (37 hour travel time) with a chance of error +-7.5 hours. 

will cme #2 catch up and merge with cme @1?

and relevance of nearby coronal hole 96?

any carrintgon-like signatures?