Again stealthy cme

Isatsuki San
Go to solution Solved by Jesterface23,

8 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

Yeah, with the solar wind velocities so low the CIR arrival can act as a sort of shock.

Spaceweather.com called it a CME, but they have been wrong and it is often hard to tell for sure on something like this.
There's no incoming CH that could give a CIR though, is there? So maybe CME is most likely.

1 hour ago, Sam Warfel said:

There's no incoming CH that could give a CIR though, is there? So maybe CME is most likely.

There was a CH right above the line splitting the northern disk about 3-4 days ago. I hadn't checked at the time of my post, but the density was dropping and velocities and temp rising giving the classic CH HSS arrival.

I think CIRs, or maybe non-CME SIR, can rarely reach or go above 400km/s on arrival when the velocities prior are so low.

And the CH,

JHV_2023-04-10_17_37.59-0001.thumb.jpg.48956676263062ee87935bf70a433628.jpg

Edited by Jesterface23
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Andrey M said:

But what can you say about EPAM in this case? Is it not an indicator of CME? 🤔

The EPAM began to rise as the CIR entered, so any possible CME would have been behind it. The EPAM peaked around the time the CH HSS fully arrived, as the high proton density was no longer blocking the EPAM.

The EPAM can help tell when a CME may be in the area, but doesn't guarantee a CME arrival.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

The EPAM began to rise as the CIR entered, so any possible CME would have been behind it. The EPAM peaked around the time the CH HSS fully arrived, as the high proton density was no longer blocking the EPAM.

The EPAM can help tell when a CME may be in the area, but doesn't guarantee a CME arrival.

Ok, we will assume that in this case a random cocktail has arisen and it is difficult to extract individual pure parts from it 🍹

• Cool 1

7 hours ago, Andrey M said:

we will assume that in this case a random cocktail has arisen and it is difficult to extract individual pure parts from it

I don't think that was the point or the conclusion. The point was rather that there wasn't really any indication of anything else than the HSS arriving, since the EPAM rise doesn't indicate a CME by itself; at least that's how I understood it, and what seems to be the case.