AR 13272

Philalethes

Not sure which number this one's getting, but it already did an M-flare within a day of rotating into view, so it's already deserving of its own topic in my book. Looks powerful from the flux signature as well, doubt any potential CME will be Earth-directed at that angle, but will be interesting to see if anything happened. It was also flaring a lot in the C-range immediately upon becoming visible.

Edited by Philalethes Bythos
updated region number
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

Do you mean 3251?

Yep

Scratch that, 3251 was just ahead of 3261 by about 25 degrees longitude. The spot that we see on our eastern side of the disk may have been between(roughly) where the two regions were. Region 3261, or what remained of it since last seen, should still be behind the limb.

Edited by Jesterface23

Looks like it released a few CMEs earlier associated with some of the smaller flares, a couple of bursts around 01:30 and 03:30 as seen on C2, and also a little bit during the M-flare, but not as much. Nothing Earth-directed as far as I can see, as expected, and the angles look narrow.

6 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

Yep

Scratch that, 3251 was just ahead of 3261 by about 25 degrees longitude. The spot that we see on our eastern side of the disk may have been between(roughly) where the two regions were. Region 3261, or what remained of it since last seen, should still be behind the limb.

Yes, agreed. I had not spotted that 3261 appeared briefly, just behind 3251,  before disappearing off the West limb !

Helio HEC server is down, so I was unable to check Carrington coordinates.

I agree, looks like old AR 13261. We’re just starting to get a glimpse of it on the limb. Although, I’m not 100% sure whether this will be part of AR 13272 or not.

6CEB7F61-A18E-4815-93B3-D05D82317737.jpeg.00e093c3688798a65d18390380552a1e.jpeg

Edited by Calder
Merged all images into 1 image, and changed sentence structure.

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

The Carrington coordinates aren't rotating from the first image of region 3261. It is the imagery on a sphere that is rotating

It's a good way to see how an AR would appear at any longitude, with the program calculating the appropriate coordinate transformations for our viewpoint.

• Like 1