Active tornado-like prominence Mar 18

Christopher S.
Go to solution Solved by Jesterface23,

I believe I have asked this before, but do you guys have a tool yet for studying the total mass ejection from these? There are quite a few tools I wish were available, such as total x-ray flux for the full sun vs just earth facing. I know about the proton spiral graph (whatever you call that), but I want somekind of reliable Sigma energy formula or better yet a graphical representation.

12 minutes ago, Cronus said:

I believe I have asked this before, but do you guys have a tool yet for studying the total mass ejection from these? There are quite a few tools I wish were available, such as total x-ray flux for the full sun vs just earth facing. I know about the proton spiral graph (whatever you call that), but I want somekind of reliable Sigma energy formula or better yet a graphical representation.

The answer to that is complicated, in general no there is no single tool. I don't think that's related to this discussion at all. Try creating your own topic to ask this question.

50 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

It looks to be a pre-launch of a CME in progress, going back starting around /17 08:00Z

Similar to the south-central disk filament earlier,

A fill day of fullaments. I mean, a fulfillamenting day. 

As of right now the prominence has deteriorated, having peaked in the picture I've added to the original post.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Well, now we can't see it lol.

While we could see it, though, it must have spanned several Jupiters. From a meteorologist's POV it is mind-boggling to see such a phenomenon so closely resemble terrestrial tornadoes, while being subject to very different forces.

7 minutes ago, Christopher S. said:

While we could see it, though, it must have spanned several Jupiters. From a meteorologist's POV it is mind-boggling to see such a phenomenon so closely resemble terrestrial tornadoes, while being subject to very different forces.

Roughly 250,380km from the solar surface from last view.

Wind shear in different speeds and directions here, magnetic shear possibly in different speeds and directions there. There was somehow even an EF3 equivalent fire tornado in California a few years back.

47 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Roughly 250,380km from the solar surface from last view.

Wind shear in different speeds and directions here, magnetic shear possibly in different speeds and directions there. There was somehow even an EF3 equivalent fire tornado in California a few years back.

To imagine the interplay of gravity and electromagnetism within the structure... I guessed at the distance pretty well.

I greatly enjoy visualization experiments. I think very deeply about things like this. I don't rely on magic or assumptions. I wish to picture plasma as an uncountable number of similar particles, hurricanes as deep depressions in the gas and vapor of the atmosphere, and the atmosphere itself in quasi-electrostatic and thermodynamic orbit around a molten clump. This aids in referencing material across several fields of study, as it would be otherwise impractical to major in 6 different things while maintaining my other interests.

Is that literally what I think of these things as? No. But the visualization provided by such thoughts and phrasing may inspire somebody to seek material which would educate them and construct upon their interest. This is the science of education, and I feel that you contribute to it here quite nicely. Thank you for the information you've provided, and I'd type out a better comment but there's a neighborhood cat right outside my window chasing mice and causing quite a ruckus lol. There's a wooden board leaning, lookin' like roach motel but for rodents. 

• Like 2

Wow! That was very cool! Not long ago I read some material from sites provided by others who are here on this site (there is a separate discussion topic for it) and IIRC there are thought to be two kinds of tornado-looking solar features. One kind (the more interesting one to me) has rapid rotation (compared to earth tornadoes) and have their roots deep within the sun, near the core. And there is some thought that this accounts for the far hotter corona than solar photosphere. These features, the thinking goes, provide a mechanism for the intense heat deep within the sun to be transported up to the corona. (I may well have misstated some of that as I am going by my memory only of what I read back then.) Very interesting! And thanks for providing this pic. That momma is huge!

• Thanks 1