Are we Safe ?

Mogh, Lord of Blood
Go to solution Solved by Christopher S.,

You and all people should be just fine.

We have survived many many of these events and in fact wait in anticipation of the beautiful auroral displays. Our electrical grids are also far better capable of handling these things than in years past.   Don’t watch the scary stuff unless you like fear.  The more you learn the safer you will feel.  mike. 

• Like 4

No need to worry! The sun is approaching it's maximum amount of activity, but this geomagnetic storm was caused by a filament eruption. Earth is protected by a magnetic field, which shields us from quite a lot. The worst that could happen is some local power outages, if one is unlucky enough. But the people who manage the power grids know how to handle the eventual increased load on the power grid.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mogh, Lord of Blood said:

Is what's going on with the sun right now serious?

It's serious business for aurora enthusiasts and space weather scientists, that's for sure.

4 hours ago, Mogh, Lord of Blood said:

What will happen in the next few days the level of Kp continues to increase up to 9?

Better aurorae and more interesting data for space weather scientists.

Well, I guess a KP9 would be extreme enough that some satellites might kick the bucket, and maybe blow some transformers.

But there's practically 0% chance that these CMEs will cause a G5 (KP9).

Edited by Philalethes Bythos
  • Like 2

What other people have said above, but also, the KP will not increase to 9. It hasn’t since the early 2000s 

But even if it did, you would be perfectly fine, and probably not know anything at all was happening if you weren’t reading about it online, or if you didn’t look out the window and see aurora. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Sam Warfel said:

Lo que otras personas han dicho anteriormente, pero también, el KP no aumentará a 9. No lo ha hecho desde principios de la década de 2000. 

Pero incluso si lo hiciera, estarías perfectamente bien, y probablemente no sabrías nada en absoluto si no estuvieras leyendo sobre eso en línea, o si no miraras por la ventana y vieras la aurora. 

That is true there is even a registration of a temporary turnover for a solar storm, the solar storm of 1989, which left Quebec for 9 hour I think I remember that it was 2 times smaller strong than the Carptong storm

Edited by Isatsuki San

Theres been a widespread power & internet outages near our local plate tectonic boundary for the last two days when the geomagnetic storm hit and we got freak snow on the mtns & beach! Now the solar wind speed is over 800km/sec and a huge gust just rolled in... It sure seems like a lot is going on despite not seeing auroras in a geomagnetic storm at 37 deg latitude! 

8 minutes ago, Bry said:

Theres been a widespread power & internet outages near our local plate tectonic boundary for the last two days when the geomagnetic storm hit and we got freak snow on the mtns & beach! Now the solar wind speed is over 800km/sec and a huge gust just rolled in... It sure seems like a lot is going on despite not seeing auroras in a geomagnetic storm at 37 deg latitude! 

I'm sorry i'm not an expert about this could you explain it to me in a simple way please ? 

Sorry, I just meant central California coast has seen some weird weather during this geomagnetic storm. It never snows on the beach usually because the Pacific Ocean keeps air temps warm. This rare snowstorm could have impacted power and internet too I’d imagine.

We live near the San Andreas fault which is a plate tectonic boundary and is where all the power comes over on the mountain. I imagine during a strong geomagnetic storm the more resistive side vs the more conductive side of the faults get issues, along with topographic effects.

All is well though mostly, I’m just noting there have been some notable events during this geomagnetic storm even at low latitudes where auroras can’t be usually seen. 

I’m curious if anyone else experienced anything notable at lower latitudes as well.

6 minutes ago, Christopher S. said:

Sometimes, people will draw lines of connection between space weather and like, 5 other things simultaneously. If you're not an expert, I recommend finding actual expertise on the subject and not using this forum in place of simple Google searches. 

Completely unrelated.

Thank you for bringing some sense into the topic.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Bry said:

Weather is based on the water cycle, ocean currents, and geological structures like mountain ranges. 

Solar wind originates in space and is diverted through the polar cusps in the magnetosphere.

Structure_of_the_magnetosphere_LanguageSwitch_svg.png.c6d5b095cfb50d46f2d2fcf5798ba0fa.png

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Christopher S. said:

Completely unrelated.

I think reporting power outages, internet outages, or notable weather events (like if it snowed on the beach where it never snows) during notable geomagnetic storms is useful especially for lower latitudes where the majority of people live & unaware of the aurora. 

Did anyone experience anything other than the expected aurora? I’ll take the agitated answers from those near the aurora as a yes ..lol.

Its snowing again in central California!

I would love to discuss more about the relationships between earth and solar weather & equipment interactions at different latitudes because I don’t think experts are the only ones affected or needing to know. 

3 hours ago, Archmonoth said:

Solar wind originates in space and is diverted through the polar cusps in the magnetosphere.

Interesting how solar wind speed got to be over 800km/sec today & is said to be rare & associated with a 2hPa change in pressure on earths surface at midlatitudes according to this study in South Korea. Looks like some solar winds can make it through when they are that high via a “forebrush decrease” to increase pressures on earths surface. @David Silver shared this awhile back with you, guess you missed it. Weather physics is so fun!

https://www.technologyreview.com/2011/07/13/258537/solar-wind-changes-atmospheric-pressure-over-south-korea/amp/

Thanks for keeping this forum friendly and warm, really shows what latitude can do for the soul and spirit & might provide some answer as to why global tensions seem to be flaring up where they do!

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

jgra21199-fig-0004.png

I think @Vancanneyt SanderPosted this article awhile backhttps://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2010JA016362

showing more geomagnetic storms occurred during the equinoxes than solstices. The equinoxes are also when the jet stream on earth crosses into the opposite hemisphere from the poles, and when midlatitudes tend to get their most severe weather events.

This tells me earths tilt in relation to the sun does indeed influence the occurrence of seasons on earth & geomagnetic storms at least annually.

Thus, I would expect the most impactful geomagnetic storms to occur during solar max years during the equinoxes when the polar jet stream crosses midlatitudes.

Thats why I think it’s worth noting when notable weather events, power & internet outages occur with geomagnetic storms because tracking the jet steam at least seems completely forecastable at this point. 

At least, effects on earths surface that are mildly detrimental to hardware or communication issues seems to be more what @Mogh, Lord of Bloodwas worried about than the aurora itself.

Glad to not hear of any severe issues at auroral latitudes, I do think much of the world is deeply concerned about countries with delicately dangerous equipment getting disturbed by our sun & starting a nuclear blame reaction Cold War style ...so it’s good to hear nothing but stalwart resilience & awareness up there!

There’s been quite a few train derailments and chemical plant explosions in the US lately, makes me think larger infrastructure at lower latitudes is prone to more than just crappier attitudes during periods of geomagnetic unrest... 😝

I certainly do wish it was possible to forecast future changes to equipment, behavior & any potential effects they might have on global conflicts to prevent them ahead of time... instead of just praying for peaceful negotiations!

• Confused 1
  • Dislike 3

On 2/27/2023 at 3:14 PM, Bry said:

Interesting how solar wind speed got to be over 800km/sec today & is said to be rare & associated with a 2hPa change in pressure on earths surface at midlatitudes according to this study in South Korea. Looks like some solar winds can make it through when they are that high via a “forebrush decrease” to increase pressures on earths surface. @David Silver shared this awhile back with you, guess you missed it. Weather physics is so fun!

A pressure change of 2hPa doesn't cause extreme weather. Perhaps 20-30, or 50+ but pressure changes aren't the issue with current weather conditions, its artic air, its mountain ranges, it's the systems we measured before the solar wind hit 800+. 

On 2/27/2023 at 3:14 PM, Bry said:

Thanks for keeping this forum friendly and warm, really shows what latitude can do for the soul and spirit & might provide some answer as to why global tensions seem to be flaring up where they do!

Global tensions are not causes by solar wind, activity or geo magnetic storms. That is a lie, its false, it's as incorrect as you can be. Global tensions are caused by limited resources, territory, moral issues, past history between nations, and political power plays. Alexander Chizhevsky was someone who suggested this connection, and it is pure speculation.

The Sun isn't invading a country or interacting with a global market. 

Solar events can be correlated with millions of things which are not connected to solar activity. Correlation means they only happen at the same time, not that their systems or effects interact. 

21 hours ago, Bry said:

Thats why I think it’s worth noting when notable weather events, power & internet outages occur with geomagnetic storms because tracking the jet steam at least seems completely forecastable at this point. 

The jet streams may have broken down over the last couple of years. Not from solar activity, but due to climate change (off topic) and you can see their collapse here: Windy: Wind map & weather forecast (This is why Europe had droughts last year, due to the jet streams going around the geography.)

The extreme weather currently, is due to the arctic air being pulled south as described by Rosby waves: Rossby wave - Wikipedia

This has nothing to do with solar wind. 

21 hours ago, Bry said:

There’s been quite a few train derailments and chemical plant explosions in the US lately, makes me think larger infrastructure at lower latitudes is prone to more than just crappier attitudes during periods of geomagnetic unrest... 😝

Criminal greed and oversight have nothing to do with solar wind or geomagnetic activity. 

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 3

3 minuten geleden, Nilesh zei:

What's happening, 3rd Deed Droop ?

image.png.6896775ca32a96bd08ccaaa3c7f3a53f.png

GOES eclipse season has started and lasts till April. During this eclipse season the spacecraft enters the shadow of the Earth so the earth blocks X-rays of the Sun causing these drops. Once the spacecraft goes out the shadow X-rays are measured again. This is normal behaviour of the satellite 

• Like 2

These eclipse happens in a row , 27- feb-23, 28-feb-23 and 1- Mar-23. How many times it would appear till April ?

29 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

GOES eclipse season has started and lasts till April. During this eclipse season the spacecraft enters the shadow of the Earth so the earth blocks X-rays of the Sun causing these drops. Once the spacecraft goes out the shadow X-rays are measured again. This is normal behaviour of the satellite 

These eclipse happens in a row , 27- feb-23, 28-feb-23 and 1- Mar-23. How many times it would appear till April ?