Real-time Whistler Wave data

davlovsky

I am wondering if anyone here knows if there's a place to get real-time whistler wave data? I did my Masters thesis three years ago measuring the magnetospheric plasma density using whistler waves, but all the data I had access to was older data from the Palmer Station in Antarctica. I no longer keep in touch with any of my professors or anything, so was just wondering if anyone here know if there are any online sources that provide this spectrogram data (example) to the public?

Are you possibly referring to those waves generated by lightning on our sphere?  If not I cannot help ya, sorry. 

Excuse me, oblate spheroid. I stand reeducated, by Sam. 🤣🤣

3 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Are you possibly referring to those waves generated by lightning on our sphere?  If not I cannot help ya, sorry.  

Edited by hamateur 1953
humor

17 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Excuse me, oblate spheroid. I stand reeducated, by Sam. 🤣🤣

Yeah, lightning-induced where the EM impulse travels along the Earth’s magnetic field lines from one hemisphere to the other, undergoing dispersion of several kHz due to the slower velocity of the lower frequencies through the plasma environments of the ionosphere and magnetosphere. My thesis was using whistler data and the Tarcsai algorithm in order to measure plasma density in the ionosphere and magnetosphere. The end result were 2D heatmaps. I wanted to revisit this and if I can find a reliable source of data, start a website that would recreate these heatmaps, possibly in real-time. It's somewhat computationally-intensive, but with proper programming/hardware (parallelization and GPU utilization), it might be possible to streamline the entire process.

• Like 2

wowie newbie. I just answered an email from him saying that Id always assumed they were from terrestrial lightning strikes.  no kidding. He is unable to build a receiver that I could suggest however due to constraints presently   ( beats shelling out fifty gs any day) 🤣🤣

4 hours ago, Newbie said:

Whistler waves are considered a form of helicon waves. A helicon is a low-frequency electromagnetic wave that can exist in bounded plasmas in the presence of a magnetic field that travel in a corkscrewlike, or helixlike, pattern. When helicons interact with plasmas, they exert pressure and torque. Magnetic reconnection is a ubiquitous plasma process occurring in the laboratory, space and astrophysical plasmas. It is an important transport and energy conversion process.

The following is the abstract of a research paper that appeared in Nature Communications Volume 13 Article No 6295 (2022) (Various Authors). It is the latest research in this particular field that I have encountered. The references are exhaustive, however NASA's MSS mission may provide the up to date data that you are seeking. 

Electromagnetic whistler-mode waves in space plasmas play critical roles in collisionless energy transfer between the electrons and the electromagnetic field. Although resonant interactions have been considered as the likely generation process of the waves, observational identification has been extremely difficult due to the short time scale of resonant electron dynamics. Here we show strong nongyrotropy, which rotate with the wave, of cyclotron resonant electrons as direct evidence for the locally ongoing secular energy transfer from the resonant electrons to the whistler-mode waves using ultra-high MMS mission temporal resolution data obtained by NASA’s Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) mission in the magnetosheath. The nongyrotropic electrons carry a resonant current, which is the energy source of the wave as predicted by the nonlinear wave growth theory. This result proves the nonlinear wave growth theory, and furthermore demonstrates that the degree of nongyrotropy, which cannot be predicted even by that nonlinear theory, can be studied by observations. 

Edited by hamateur 1953

Fascinating. So, to paraphrase I believe this is a discussion of the global electric circuit, in which electrons are transferred into the atmosphere and down to the ground from solar plasma, even in collisionless events. A variety of such conditions are known to take place from normal Southward Bz and daily magnetic reconnection (NASA “portals”) to larger events. Energy penetrating the atmosphere then can manifest as lightning, induced ground current, or other non-minor energetic ground level events. Bob Leamon has mentioned that since the 1950s the atmosphere has become more electrically conductive.

Induced current: Real-time data

NASA “portals”: Every 8 Minutes

Leamon

Edited by David Silver
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 3:46 AM, Newbie said:

Whistler waves are considered a form of helicon waves. A helicon is a low-frequency electromagnetic wave that can exist in bounded plasmas in the presence of a magnetic field that travel in a corkscrewlike, or helixlike, pattern. When helicons interact with plasmas, they exert pressure and torque. Magnetic reconnection is a ubiquitous plasma process occurring in the laboratory, space and astrophysical plasmas. It is an important transport and energy conversion process.

The following is the abstract of a research paper that appeared in Nature Communications Volume 13 Article No 6295 (2022) (Various Authors). It is the latest research in this particular field that I have encountered. The references are exhaustive, however NASA's MSS mission may provide the up to date data that you are seeking. 

Electromagnetic whistler-mode waves in space plasmas play critical roles in collisionless energy transfer between the electrons and the electromagnetic field. Although resonant interactions have been considered as the likely generation process of the waves, observational identification has been extremely difficult due to the short time scale of resonant electron dynamics. Here we show strong nongyrotropy, which rotate with the wave, of cyclotron resonant electrons as direct evidence for the locally ongoing secular energy transfer from the resonant electrons to the whistler-mode waves using ultra-high MMS mission temporal resolution data obtained by NASA’s Magnetospheric Multiscale (MMS) mission in the magnetosheath. The nongyrotropic electrons carry a resonant current, which is the energy source of the wave as predicted by the nonlinear wave growth theory. This result proves the nonlinear wave growth theory, and furthermore demonstrates that the degree of nongyrotropy, which cannot be predicted even by that nonlinear theory, can be studied by observations. 

Of course I understood all of that…..  NOT!  🤣🤣🤣   Mike/Hagrid 

whistler waves observed by Van Allen Probes, JGR Space Physics

Reading on this topic a bit more:

”Recent studies have also shown that whistler mode chorus wave can provide local acceleration of energetic electrons by efficient energy diffusion in the outer radiation belts [e.g., Summers et al., 2002; Meredith et al., 2003; Li et al., 2014]. It has also been shown that intense whistler mode chorus emission may cause microburst electron precipitation into the atmosphere…

Previous studies have shown that whistlers play an important role in the dynamics of the radiation belts and are partly responsible for the loss of the energetic electrons… Pitch angle scattering of energetic Van Allen belt electrons by whistlers can result in the precipitation of these electrons into the atmosphere [Dungey, 1963]. Lightning-induced electron precipitation (LEP) from the Earth's radiation belts, caused by whistler wave-particle interaction, is a known troposphere-to-magnetosphere coupling mechanism.”

20 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Of course I understood all of that…..  NOT!  🤣🤣🤣   Mike/Hagrid 

The fusion reactions which occur in the sun separate Hydrogen nuclei from their electrons. The resultant electrons flow in waves. It seems that the electron plasma arranges itself into patterns, structures if you like.

The electron structures within the plasma exhibit strong nongyrotropy, in other words the structures don’t exhibit chirality or handedness. The resonant interactions between the electron wave and the surrounding magnetic fields cause a transfer of energy. It is contactless….there is evidence that the resonance caused by this electron flow creates the observed Whistler Waves, and their helix like pattern. It has been difficult to observe because of the short time scale over which the interactions occur and difficult to predict because of its nongyrotropy, but it is observable.

N.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Newbie said:

The fusion reactions which occur in the sun separate Hydrogen nuclei from their electrons. The resultant electrons flow in waves. It seems that the electron plasma arranges itself into patterns, structures if you like.

The electron structures within the plasma exhibit strong nongyrotropy, in other words the structures don’t exhibit chirality or handedness. The resonant interactions between the electron wave and the surrounding magnetic fields cause a transfer of energy. It is contactless….there is evidence that the resonance caused by this electron flow creates the observed Whistler Waves, and their helix like pattern. It has been difficult to observe because of the short time scale over which the interactions occur and difficult to predict because of its nongyrotropy, but it is observable.

N.

From your description I think plasma might have a high amount of entanglement, similar to the understanding of quantum entanglement: Contactless, conductive, and organized to conserve total charge and momentum. 

Great descriptions Newbie! :)

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2023 at 7:49 AM, davlovsky said:

I am wondering if anyone here knows if there's a place to get real-time whistler wave data? I did my Masters thesis three years ago measuring the magnetospheric plasma density using whistler waves, but all the data I had access to was older data from the Palmer Station in Antarctica. I no longer keep in touch with any of my professors or anything, so was just wondering if anyone here know if there are any online sources that provide this spectrogram data (example) to the public?

Not sure if this will help, but it's a site I use often to observe solar flares and electromagnetic wave propagation.

https://iswa.ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/IswaSystemWebApp/