Solar 3D image pairs

Drax Spacex

Amazing! The images are similar enough that I'm able to achieve stereoscopic depth by crossing my eyes and treating it as a stereogram; you can literally see the coronal loops protruding out of the surface, that's really cool.

Edited by Philalethes Bythos
  • Like 2
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, praxisofbootes said:

Very cool! I have 18.4K followers on TikTok who would love this… would I be able to share with them? I’d credit of course.

You might have a look at https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/data/rules.php

I don't personally require credit, but since I posted here, you might check with the admins on their guidelines for sharing content posted to this forum.

I did add "Originally posted to spaceweatherlive.com." and "Source imagery courtesy of NASA/SDO and the AIA, EVE, HMI, and STEREO science teams." to the image linked in the first post.

4 hours ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Amazing! The images are similar enough that I'm able to achieve stereoscopic depth by crossing my eyes and treating it as a stereogram; you can literally see the coronal loops protruding out of the surface, that's really cool.

Capturing a filament or CME eruption from the solar disk in 3D might look particularly impressive!  It would be necessary to obtain images with as close to the same timestamp as possible - within a few minutes.

Edited by Drax Spacex
added credit

22 hours ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Capturing a filament or CME eruption from the solar disk in 3D might look particularly impressive!  It would be necessary to obtain images with as close to the same timestamp as possible - within a few minutes.

Polar Filament Eruption 2023-FEB-10:

https://ibb.co/YcN9c0G

Edited by Drax Spacex
polar filament eruption
  • Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

Really awesome stuff. Works just as well in color, and looks that much better when looking at it stereoscopically. Sadly the fact that this particular filament eruption was polar means that you don't get as much of a 3D effect there, but you can visibly see it twisting into the depth, which is very cool.

Wasn't there another filament eruption a day or two later that is supposed to possibly bring some mild geomagnetic activity to Earth tomorrow? Maybe I'm getting my dates mixed up and it was this one, but if not, then maybe that would make for an even more impressive 3D view.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

That’s a great shot! Really looks cool. Maybe I can try to adjust the angle using helioviewer. I’ve been posting 3D image challenges to my followers - most are also huge Solar weather enthusiasts - they’ll love it. I’ll credit you and the website! I’ll play with helioviewer a bit and see what I can come up with. I think you are the first I’ve seen suggest this with solar imagery. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Sadly the fact that this particular filament eruption was polar means that you don't get as much of a 3D effect there, but you can visibly see it twisting into the depth, which is very cool.

Yes that's true - the 3D effect isn't as good where there isn't a lot of difference in depth along the line of sight.  The polar vortex and eruption was such an interesting case, I had to try it and see.  A side-by-side 3D movie take some time to generate, but it may be worth the effort to better visualize this particular event.

15 hours ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Wasn't there another filament eruption a day or two later that is supposed to possibly bring some mild geomagnetic activity to Earth tomorrow? Maybe I'm getting my dates mixed up and it was this one, but if not, then maybe that would make for an even more impressive 3D view.

Yes I downloaded SDO 304 and STEREO A 304 images for 20230211 1115 UT, but it's mostly the flare that's visible only slightly above the surface; the filament eruption was rather faint and washed out in the background.

On 2/12/2023 at 3:31 PM, Drax Spacex said:

SDO and Stereo A satellites are now separated by an angle that yields a good 3D stereoscopic view using images from each satellite at the same timestamp.  Here's an example from 20220211 with SDO 193 on the left and STEREO A 195 on the right.  This is a "cross-eyed" 3d pair.  Both have been converted to grayscale and enhanced using the same B&W filter.

https://ibb.co/YTxQWLw

Source imagery courtesy of NASA/SDO and the AIA, EVE, HMI, and STEREO science teams.

In looking at the sun using a telescope and a Hydrogen alpha filter, some features on the sun appear in 3D. This is particularly true of filaments as you move away from center sun towards the limbs. This happens because of the angle…

2 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

Yes I downloaded SDO 304 and STEREO A 304 images for 20230211 1115 UT, but it's mostly the flare that's visible only slightly above the surface; the filament eruption was rather faint and washed out in the background.

I managed to catch a filament eruption on Saturday on the East limb. You can see some ejecta below the larger prominence. Keep in mind the view here is mirrored horizontally - so East is East and West is West ;-). Reversed from what you usually see. 

786E55C7-0E7D-4B5A-92F5-BA881CED11D0.thumb.jpeg.56140caaf7418ba4745b9b1883642679.jpeg

You can also see a couple of filaments just above and to the left of the prominence. There are also a couple of spots at the bottom. This filament eruption was from Sunday. I didn’t take any pics on Saturday unfortunately….

If you want to see the 3D effects that I can see in H-a, check out the Gallery here on SWL, in particular:

And here:

Both of these guys do awesome work! You can really see the 3D in a lot of features. 

Enjoy.

Will 

• Like 3

On 2/12/2023 at 9:31 PM, Drax Spacex said:

SDO and Stereo A satellites are now separated by an angle that yields a good 3D stereoscopic view using images from each satellite at the same timestamp.  Here's an example from 20220211 with SDO 193 on the left and STEREO A 195 on the right.  This is a "cross-eyed" 3d pair.  Both have been converted to grayscale and enhanced using the same B&W filter.

https://ibb.co/YTxQWLw

Source imagery courtesy of NASA/SDO and the AIA, EVE, HMI, and STEREO science teams.

Oh I love this!