Unnamed ARs

WildWill

Howdy Y’all, 

Caught these two ARs this morning. They were not there yesterday. The one closer to the equator popped up near a plage area which may have been associated with AR13208 (credit 3gMike). The one to the north popped outta nowhere! Quite active in H-a and EUV. I spent 3 hours staring at the sun yesterday, so I was quite surprised this morning when I checked out SDO and GONG.  White light images showed spots in both regions where there were none yesterday. The spots have grown significantly since early this morning when I fist spotted them.

They are really kickin out the jams too! 

581236D5-55CD-4350-93DC-C590076A45C4.jpeg.2960779a952f0f216fcbc6ce575354b5.jpeg

-Will

Edited by WildWill
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, arjemma said:

I saw that too and they have grown rather quickly. Looks like they starting to appear more clearly around 04 UTC on February 10 (today).

The top one had a nice eruption around 11:28 UTC.

spacer.png

Nice catch once again! Is that He II? (304A)?

Cheers!

Will

1 minute ago, arjemma said:

Thanks. It's a bit sad that they are developing now when they are going around the limb soon.

That image is from SDO AIA 304.

Min has named it the “limb of disappointment” do to all the stuff that’s quiet until it gets to the limb and then starts kickin it, as it goes around the bend… 

Thats what I thought, but wanted to make sure. Singly ionized Helium… chromosphere and lower transition zone.

Thanks!

Will

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, WildWill said:

Min has named it the “limb of disappointment” do to all the stuff that’s quiet until it gets to the limb and then starts kickin it, as it goes around the bend… 

Thats what I thought, but wanted to make sure. Singly ionized Helium… chromosphere and lower transition zone.

Thanks!

Will

Haha that is such a fitting name cause I'm getting frustrated that almost all the action is at the limbs.

No problem, I'm gonna keep an eye of them for sure. It's hard to determine deltas now as well since there is some foreshortening.

4 hours ago, WildWill said:

Howdy Y’all, 

Caught these two ARs this morning. They were not there yesterday. The one closer to the equator popped up near a plage area which may have been associated with AR13208 (credit 3gMike). The one to the north popped outta nowhere! Quite active in H-a and EUV. I spent 3 hours staring at the sun yesterday, so I was quite surprised this morning when I checked out SDO and GONG.  White light images showed spots in both regions where there were none yesterday. The spots have grown significantly since early this morning when I fist spotted them.

They are really kickin out the jams too! 

581236D5-55CD-4350-93DC-C590076A45C4.jpeg.2960779a952f0f216fcbc6ce575354b5.jpeg

Isn't the region bottom on 3208? I hadn't paid attention to it, but given that numbering I would assume it got that designation earlier than a lot of the other regions. The top one does seem to be new, and now has the designation 3222, which is the latest number.

They don't look that active for now, but it's always nice to see new regions popping up, even if near the limb and about to make an exit.

3 hours ago, WildWill said:

Min has named it the “limb of disappointment”

Still makes me laugh; and the other limb would be the limb of false hope and wishful thinking.

And now 3220 actually produced the latest M-flare; impressive. That's a lot of different regions producing M-flares right now.

Edit:

Never mind, I thought for a second it was 3222; 3220 is way on the other side of the disc, so doesn't belong here.

Edited by Philalethes Bythos

1 hour ago, Philalethes Bythos said:

Isn't the region bottom on 3208? I hadn't paid attention to it, but given that numbering I would assume it got that designation earlier than a lot of the other regions. The top one does seem to be new, and now has the designation 3222, which is the latest number.

They don't look that active for now, but it's always nice to see new regions popping up, even if near the limb and about to make an exit.

Still makes me laugh; and the other limb would be the limb of false hope and wishful thinking.

Howdy!

im not sure if I was clear in my post - the bottom AR came up close to an area of plages that was associated with the old AR13208. 

There are AR numbers shown on our pages, but I don’t think they are the “official” designations. Those only come out once a day and they are there when I get on in the morning. I don’t remember the whole process, but sometimes it can take 2 days for the assigned AR numbers to show up. 

We saw designations show up for AR13088 and AR13089 in late August and whoever put them in there, got it backwards. AR13088 originally showed as AR13089 - it was the vertical group that popped up near mid-sun. I recall because I had already started a topic for it (AR13088) using “89”. It caused some confusion. 

I’ll wait to see the numbers in the AM… 

There are lotz o spotz, that’s for sure. We’ve had a nice hi-C background flux since yesterday. (Ok, maybe not that “Hi”, but it does sound good… do they even make that stuff anymore? 

And I’ve got clouds for the next 5 days…

Cheers!

Will

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Sam Warfel said:

We have *12* named ARs on the sun at the moment! That may be a new high for the SC! And with a couple of these being pretty feisty ones, I’m excited to see what happens!

The SN is almost at 200 now, impressive.

Also, earlier 3222, the new top region WildWill was referring to earlier, did in fact M-flare, not just 3220 this time.

• Like 1