Ellerman Bombs & Magnetic Dopplergram

WildWill

Today, I observedan Ellerman bomb going off near Ar13199, in H-a, it lasted about 8 minutes. I’ve gone to gong and found this “movie” of the sun today in H-a. Gong has a number of locations, I chose this one because It is tuned (CWL) closer to what mine is. Tuning it to the “wings” also has the effect of reducing the band pass. This allows you to see different features. And what is coming at you and going away!

In any case, this movie shows a whole “storm” of them…they shine so brightly because the filter is tuned to just the right offset, to see the light coming at you (blueshift).

https://gong2.nso.edu/products/scaleView/view.php?configFile=configs/hAlpha.cfg&productIndex=0

I had read they were common, but this is only the second one I’ve caught. I wish I had stayed at the scope. As you can see, they put on a nice little show… 

I am also very curious about the magnetic dopplergram that halfferalhuman found. It sure looks interesting. I posted another picture of it as it approached the limb, so it is something that lasted a good while and may still be happening. I’ve never seen much of interest on the Doppler gram. Couple of little dimples, one way or the other, but nothing like this. 

Does anyone know what causes this effect? Maybe it’s tied to the Jesterface “blip”. 
Anybody seen it before? It’s behavior is quite interesting…

Cheers.

W&A

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

30 minutes ago, WildWill said:

Maybe it’s tied to the Jesterface “blip”. 

What you are referring to is this,
https://community.spaceweatherlive.com/topic/2716-incorrect-values-in-magnetogram-imagery/

For region 3190, the incorrect values occurred most of the trip across the disk. Magnetogram lower negative values were near consistent, periodically reaching positive values. Maybe other events helped push the values positive at times, I can't say for certain on every single occurrence.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WildWill said:

Today, I observedan Ellerman bomb going off near Ar13199, in H-a, it lasted about 8 minutes. I’ve gone to gong and found this “movie” of the sun today in H-a. Gong has a number of locations, I chose this one because It is tuned (CWL) closer to what mine is. Tuning it to the “wings” also has the effect of reducing the band pass. This allows you to see different features. And what is coming at you and going away!

In any case, this movie shows a whole “storm” of them…they shine so brightly because the filter is tuned to just the right offset, to see the light coming at you (blueshift).

https://gong2.nso.edu/products/scaleView/view.php?configFile=configs/hAlpha.cfg&productIndex=0

I had read they were common, but this is only the second one I’ve caught. I wish I had stayed at the scope. As you can see, they put on a nice little show… 

I am also very curious about the magnetic dopplergram that halfferalhuman found. It sure looks interesting. I posted another picture of it as it approached the limb, so it is something that lasted a good while and may still be happening. I’ve never seen much of interest on the Doppler gram. Couple of little dimples, one way or the other, but nothing like this. 

Does anyone know what causes this effect? Maybe it’s tied to the Jesterface “blip”. 
Anybody seen it before? It’s behavior is quite interesting…

Cheers.

W&A

Hi Will,

That link is not working for me - just shows current data. What timeframe do I need to set to see the Ellerman bombs?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3gMike said:

Hi Will,

That link is not working for me - just shows current data. What timeframe do I need to set to see the Ellerman bombs?

Howdy 3g,

Sorry about that. You are gonna wanna start at about 1PM (Texas time CDT) and go through about 75 frames.

it looks like your flying in a bomber and looking down as the bombs hit and go off...

Cheers

W&A

• Thanks 1
  • Cool 1

13 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

What you are referring to is this,
https://community.spaceweatherlive.com/topic/2716-incorrect-values-in-magnetogram-imagery/

For region 3190, the incorrect values occurred most of the trip across the disk. Magnetogram lower negative values were near consistent, periodically reaching positive values. Maybe other events helped push the values positive at times, I can't say for certain on every single occurrence.

Howdy!

Actually I was referring to the magnetic dopplergram…  

Cheers.

W&A

I call them cascades~

It's like rapid activations of multiple zones, on SDO you can sometimes make them out if you zoom your perspective out, it's more of a feel thing.

I wonder now that the earth core paused and is now going in a new direction if we're going to see the dance of the magnetic poles of my ~dreams~.

Exciting times.

I saw someone also mention that it seems like some sunspots have been activating in tandem as well, which could lead to some interesting shows if we have a multi-CME epic.

Edited by MissNeona
Spelling error and excitement
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 12:38 PM, MissNeona said:

I call them cascades~

It's like rapid activations of multiple zones, on SDO you can sometimes make them out if you zoom your perspective out, it's more of a feel thing.

I wonder now that the earth core paused and is now going in a new direction if we're going to see the dance of the magnetic poles of my ~dreams~.

Exciting times.

I saw someone also mention that it seems like some sunspots have been activating in tandem as well, which could lead to some interesting shows if we have a multi-CME epic.

I like the term “cascade”, I started to use that word, but it implies association. Hence, the word “storm”. I’ll have to check out SDO a bit closer for these. I had read about Ellerman Bombs, but I’d never seen one until a couple of weeks ago. I’ll certainly be on the lookout… going forward.

Its funny you mentioned SDO, my next search will be for sigmoids. I’m trying to do a little. More study before searching, but bombs on SUVI, that would be cool…

Ive not studied it, but I am not sure about the earth’s core slowing and reversing direction, nor on the sun. We just had a brief discussion about this. In reference to this happening on the sun. It got filed under unproven theories, along with the one which says the sun’s core rotates 4x as fast as the surface at the equator. 

Regarding the Ellerman Bombs, it makes sense that you could see them on SUVI, as they have been described as mini-flares - I’ve read 1/10,000 to 1/100,000 as strong as a flare. One would expect x-rays from such “mini-flaring”.

Do you happen to know which wavelengths they are most visible? 304 is ionized He, gives us a good view Of the chromosphere. 094 and 171 both look at different places, but should show flares well, along with 131…

with regards to some of the stuff available (this doesn’t incluse gong.nso.gov. 

https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/news/how-safely-stare-the-sun-soho-sdo-and-goes-r-instruments

But it does give ya a rundown on GEOS-R class, SOHO & SDO. The NOAA website also maintains an archive of data from those three sources.

Thanks!

Have ya a good one!

W&A

and decided a

On 1/27/2023 at 4:23 AM, 3gMike said:

Hi Will,

Howdy 3g,

There was another “storm” OR “cascade” of bombs went off this morning in the same area.

This link should start 1/25/2023 and go through the present:

https://gong2.nso.edu/products/scaleView/view.php?configFile=configs/hAlpha.cfg&productIndex=3

If you have probs with this link, just go to the H-a images on gong, then choose Tololo. Then put in the dates above. When you are running it, youshould slow it down quite a bit. It goes through 3 days pretty quick…

Cheers.

WnA

Edited by WildWill
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, WildWill said:

I like the term “cascade”, I started to use that word, but it implies association. Hence, the word “storm”. I’ll have to check out SDO a bit closer for these. I had read about Ellerman Bombs, but I’d never seen one until a couple of weeks ago. I’ll certainly be on the lookout… going forward.

Its funny you mentioned SDO, my next search will be for sigmoids. I’m trying to do a little. More study before searching, but bombs on SUVI, that would be cool…

Ive not studied it, but I am not sure about the earth’s core slowing and reversing direction, nor on the sun. We just had a brief discussion about this. In reference to this happening on the sun. It got filed under unproven theories, along with the one which says the sun’s core rotates 4x as fast as the surface at the equator. 

Regarding the Ellerman Bombs, it makes sense that you could see them on SUVI, as they have been described as mini-flares - I’ve read 1/10,000 to 1/100,000 as strong as a flare. One would expect x-rays from such “mini-flaring”.

Do you happen to know which wavelengths they are most visible? 304 is ionized He, gives us a good view Of the chromosphere. 094 and 171 both look at different places, but should show flares well, along with 131…

Thanks!

Have ya a good one!

W&A

and decided a

Howdy 3g,

There was another “storm” OR “cascade” of bombs went off this morning in the same area.

https://gong2.nso.edu/products/scaleView/view.php?configFile=configs/hAlpha.cfg&productIndex=3

If you have probs with this link, just go to the H-a images on gong, then choose Tololo. Then put in the dates above. When you are running it, youshould slow it down quite a bit. It goes through 3 days pretty quick…

Cheers.

WnA

I don't check SUVI often, however on SDO I can see how there are apparent linkages as one seems to expand and activate into eachother. I like calling it soonoos cause as soon as it hits it pops the next one to make it's own wave. Like crystal bowls building resonant sound but it activates different locations. Very interesting. The strange part is sometimes you can see a lightning like connection between them on SDO sometimes it's the eruptions invisible echo you have to watch for. Usually takes me the third viewing of the movie to catch it. 

1 hour ago, WildWill said:

Thanks Will,  I managed to see them this time😄

• Like 1

On 1/27/2023 at 4:23 AM, 3gMike said:

Hi Will,

I used 2023/01/25 to 2023/01/28

There are a couple of “sets” going off… be sure and slow it down.

36 minutes ago, MissNeona said:

I don't check SUVI often, however on SDO I can see how there are apparent linkages as one seems to expand and activate into eachother. I like calling it soonoos cause as soon as it hits it pops the next one to make it's own wave. Like crystal bowls building resonant sound but it activates different locations. Very interesting. The strange part is sometimes you can see a lightning like connection between them on SDO sometimes it's the eruptions invisible echo you have to watch for. Usually takes me the third viewing of the movie to catch it. 

SDO EVE (Extreme Ultraviolet Experiment / AIA and GEOS-16 (SUVI) show about the same thing. I like checking both because while they share some of the same channels (wavelengths) but not all - so both have something unique to offer. I also like the composites on SDO

It takes a couple of viewings on the H-a images from GONG as well - to really catch what’s going on. 

In a previous image - posted above by 3g, you can see all the circled Ellerman Bombs, but it that wavelength, they didn’t look like anything more than pores to me.

Cheers.

W&A

10 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

Thanks Will,  I managed to see them this time😄

Way cool! Did you also see the action on the limbs? Not only flashes, but the plasma clouds as well?  I watched it a half dozen times and then picked a couple of sections and went through it frame by frame. 
I have been wondering about sigmoids as of late, doing a little reading. Like tostart trying to find some. Reading about SEPs as well.  It would appear that these Ellerman Bombs could also be a precursor (or perhaps a vent). 

In any case, both phenomena are worthy of further investigation. I’ve seen a couple of models of ARs/sunspots - magnetic models. I wonder how these phenomena would fit into those. I’ve not delved deep into these models as my brain is full with just an incompressible, steady  flow that I’m trying to model. Which also brings me to noting that the sun seems to “pulse” once or twice a month, it occurred to me that it may affect flux (total flux, so the effect would be very small - on the order of a tenth of one percent or less…) One assumption with steady flow is you can define any spherical shell inside the sun and the total flux passing through that sphere will be equal to the total flux from any other sphere, centered on the center of the sun…

But I digress!

W&A

• Like 1

MAGNETIC DOPPLERGRAM!

Howdy All Y’all,

Does anyone know what this is on the attached Dopplergram? I’m referring to the “crater” looking thing on the SW limb.

It was “under” AR13190. I believe halfferalhuman posted a few images from when it was center sun. 

Any ideas guys? (Guys being generic and includes gals and whatever else may apply…). I’ve been looking at the Dopplergrams for months and never seen anything like it. 

Thank ya kindly & all y’all have a great day!

W&A

32B3AA33-D42D-4EC4-92DC-7327BE121E55.thumb.jpeg.448891ee2466a95dedf389c934124b0d.jpeg