SDO and angstrom overlays

hamateur 1953
Go to solution Solved by 3gMike,

I was watching the unusual flaring late last evening and decided to check SDO for a better view and was astounded by what I saw.  Perhaps WW knows better than I just why the composite views reveal details ( especially on the limb!) and is willing to chime in here .. 

Edited by hamateur 1953
  • Like 1
  • Cool 1

What a shame.  I just rechecked the sdo. overlay. AIA 094 335 193.  All gone.  Shame that everyone else seems to have missed this.  btw it wasn’t magnetogram, rather the pix above it on RH side.  Hamateur 

Edited by hamateur 1953

Rechecking the synoptic map it seems nearly certain that what I viewed was an exchange between active regions 3191 and 3192.  What was fascinating was that I was apparently able to see beneath the activity!  The vantage point was at that time at the near perfect angle for observation. Forewarned is Forearmed😎 maybe next time……

4 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Rechecking the synoptic map it seems nearly certain that what I viewed was an exchange between active regions 3191 and 3192.  What was fascinating was that I was apparently able to see beneath the activity!  The vantage point was at that time at the near perfect angle for observation. Forewarned is Forearmed😎 maybe next time……

Yeah, I was wondering if 3191 and 3192 are actually all part of the same sunspot complex instead of two separate ones. Are exchanges between two clearly different regions very common? Or rare enough that that might indicate that these are parts of the same single region? (A newbie question.)

25 minutes ago, marc-pdx said:

Yeah, I was wondering if 3191 and 3192 are actually all part of the same sunspot complex instead of two separate ones. Are exchanges between two clearly different regions very common? Or rare enough that that might indicate that these are parts of the same single region? (A newbie question.)

Howdy.  fellow ham!   They are two separate active regions, at least according to the synoptic map compiled by Space weather prediction center.  Looks as though 3191 is already showing its activity well.  Btw solar flux is over 200! Check out six meters for F2. The lower frequencies may be unstable but 50 mhz should be wide open west on some directions by now. My quad is down but back up soon 73 mike N7ORL. 

9 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Howdy.  fellow ham!   They are two separate active regions, at least according to the synoptic map compiled by Space weather prediction center.  Looks as though 3191 is already showing its activity well.  Btw solar flux is over 200! Check out six meters for F2. The lower frequencies may be unstable but 50 mhz should be wide open west on some directions by now. My quad is down but back up soon 73 mike N7ORL. 

Another ham Dr Tamitha Skov has her own production. She goes by Space Weather Woman.  She hasn’t been active of late but provides the general public with the real information without typical hype.  We need more people like her for certain!! 

40 minutes ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Another ham Dr Tamitha Skov has her own production. She goes by Space Weather Woman.  She hasn’t been active of late but provides the general public with the real information without typical hype.  We need more people like her for certain!!  And in answer to your question on the frequency that this unusual type of exchange between active regions may take place.  I have only been on this site for a year, still have MUCH to learn, believe me!  A wealth of knowledge awaits those with genuine interest in this subject!   I am clueless on this fact for certain.. 

15 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:

Another ham Dr Tamitha Skov has her own production. She goes by Space Weather Woman.  She hasn’t been active of late but provides the general public with the real information without typical hype.  We need more people like her for certain!!  And in answer to your question on the frequency that this unusual type of exchange between active regions may take place.  I have only been on this site for a year, still have MUCH to learn, believe me!  A wealth of knowledge awaits those with genuine interest in this subject!   I am clueless on this fact for certain.. 

Hello to you too! (I know we're off topic for this discussion group and about to be scolded!) Thanks very much for that info! Wish I would have seen it much earlier than just now. But it's very helpful! I'm a new licensed ham, as well - KK7HSD... just down the road from you! We'll talk more later! Probably in the Ham area (as I was told yesterday)! Thank you again!!  :)

No sweat there!  Sam may cut us a little slack as we are both newbies.  hopefully🤣

12 minutes ago, marc-pdx said:

Hello to you too! (I know we're off topic for this discussion group and about to be scolded!) Thanks very much for that info! Wish I would have seen it much earlier than just now. But it's very helpful! I'm a new licensed ham, as well - KK7HSD... just down the road from you! We'll talk more later! Probably in the Ham area (as I was told yesterday)! Thank you again!!  :)

• Solution
On 1/15/2023 at 6:57 AM, marc-pdx said:

Looking at their locations - AR3191 at C127, 12N and AR3192 at C118, 19N - and comparing with latest photospheric map (unfortunately quite old) you can see that they probably share the same area of very intense positive field (blue) centred around C120

prelim.pho_jan1_2023.gif.a0aa4f5e03fe7f819b001283cb687d0f.gif

This view is reinforced by the synoptic map from Jan 15th, 07-45

synoptic-map_jan15_23_07-45_cropped.thumb.jpg.2c946af5ad0449ac038d8eb626a56d38.jpg

• Like 2