mike

mike

Hi All just joined the forum this afternoon,

I've seen the northern lights 5 times now in 5 visits so i've been very lucky in that respect.. i used to follow a russian site called tesis but since the ukraine war that satellite has been closed down.

I can vaguely  remember on one of my trips the guide on our mini bus had a different site and he could almost monitor when the lights where going to arrive as it had like an aerial view of the north pole from way high up ( possibly the ISS ) which way the aurora leaning as regards the magnetic pole...(hope this makes sense)

if it makes any sense to anyone do you know what site they would have used.??

i thank you in advance

mike

5 minuten geleden, mike zei:

it had like an aerial view of the north pole from way high up ( possibly the ISS ) which way the aurora leaning

There are no satellites monitoring the Aurora visually. There is only the ovation prime model (the follow up of the Kanopus oval), this model maps the auroral oval in function of the current parameters of the solar wind, IMF, hemispheric power and others. This results in a view from the poles with the oval.

Ovation prime is implemented in SWL on the front page and on our app we even have a map view.

04958140-B357-4256-BD83-97686B29EE52.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...