RTSW question

NEAurora
Go to solution Solved by Jesterface23,

I’ve been wondering about this for a while and I can’t seem to figure it out, figured I’d see if anyone here is able to fill me in.  When looking at the RTSW from SWPC, specifically the bz/bt time series, does anyone know why the figure is sometime highlighted with blue fill when bz is negative? It seems to be associated with at least modest activity.

I guess most importantly, does this color fill mean anything, or provide any additional information?  It’s not always highlighted when it’s negative, it doesn’t seem to be a threshold value, at least as I can tell.  Picture attached as an example. 

DAC986A7-3D24-4E0F-B79E-19F453EA7E54.jpeg

The only thing I can guess for the purple highlight is that it is a period of favorable Bz conditions and maybe along with a mix of other components(I don't know exactly).

Phi and Theta are directions and maybe this math helps, for the GSE coordinate system at least they are given for the GSM coordinate system,
Bx = - B * cos(theta) * cos(phi)
By = + B * cos(theta) * sin(phi)
Bz = + B * sin(theta)

Edited by Jesterface23

17 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

Ahhh, got it. The purple highlight is when the Bz component is <=-5nT.

Is it truly that simple? I thought I had ruled out a simple threshold value.  Though now that I’m looking more closely, I’m not so sure, you might be right here.  In any case, I appreciate the answer.  Thanks!