AR 13169

Philalethes

Apparently this one produced one of M-flares from yesterday (M1.2), and is still flaring around C2-3 (C2.5, C2.2, C2.8).

Mostly grasping at straws at this point, but with the increase in activity lately I figure there might be a chance. Still not very good visibility, but in a day or two we should get a clearer view.

Edited by Philalethes Bythos

2 hours ago, Carolyn M said:

Would anyone be able to tell me the previous number of AR3169?  Could this have been AR3149?

No previous number for this group. It is a new region as 3gMike stated above, “There was nothing in this zone during the last rotation”

On 12/17/2022 at 6:10 PM, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Ah yes, of course when I am not watching. 

You should turn on notifications so you stop missing stuff 😄

2 hours ago, Orneno said:

This region looks weird, it’s like all the spots are only one polarity. 

Certainly the leading spots are very dominant, but if you look carefully there is a large number of very small spots in the trailing field. Actually, the same is true for most regions in both hemispheres at present.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3gMike said:

Certainly the leading spots are very dominant, but if you look carefully there is a large number of very small spots in the trailing field. Actually, the same is true for most regions in both hemispheres at present.

Are the small spots the source of the flaring? I thought small spots were generally weaker

6 hours ago, Orneno said:

It's a weird Sun.   Speculation:  Maybe this is a setup for a transequatorial flare?  A flare that connects large positive polarity (blue) sunspots in the northern hemisphere with large negative polarity (red) sunspots in the southern hemisphere?  Atypical, yes - if they ever happen at all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Orneno said:

Yep, but you can see the negative area is much more widely dispersed. Presumably this means the field lines aren't as neatly organized, which might explain the activity despite the lack of anything too obvious.

13 hours ago, Orneno said:

I don’t get why it’s flaring at all 

Magnetic reconnection… 😉

12 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

It's a weird Sun.   Speculation:  Maybe this is a setup for a transequatorial flare?  A flare that connects large positive polarity (blue) sunspots in the northern hemisphere with large negative polarity (red) sunspots in the southern hemisphere?  Atypical, yes - if they ever happen at all.

Howdy Drax,

Check it out, we see a lot of field lines connecting spots across the equator. I would imagine that magnetic reconnection is taking place on some of these. The thing is that the reconnection is gonna happen at either AR, so, it’s hard to associate the flare with a trans-equatorial connection - or so I would imagine. 

This is one of the images/data that I like to look at every morning: 

This is from SDO. This is 512*512, they go up to 4096*4096

latest_512_HMIBpfss.jpg

As you can see, there are a lot of connections across the equator. As for flares, I would expect as I said, the flares would probably be at the ends of the field. 

I hope you find this to be useful. I have noted a lot of trans equatorial field lines in the past, at times, a great many more than today. This image is updated throughout the day I believe. 

Anyway, I think it’s pretty nifty!

Enjoy!

WnA

—————————-Related————————

I also like this one, from GONG: 

https://gong2.nso.edu/products/tableView/table.php?configFile=configs/averageMagnetogram10min.cfg

They also have an interesting set of models of the magnetic fields in and around the sun… (PFSS models)

https://gong2.nso.edu/products/tableView/table.php?configFile=configs/pfssModels.cfg

Those are like way cool in my true love’s not so humble opinion! In addition, GONG has some other interesting stuff on it. I like the NRT H-a images (updated every couple of minutes) along with some of the other stuff available, synoptic maps, Farside, etc. 

Hope all y’all find these to be useful. 

I’ve got 45% cloud cover and I’m debating right now… lol. H-a is where all the action is. Caught a nice high C flare last week. The filament eruptions also put on a great show in H-alpha. 😏  Thinking about a Ca, Mg or Na next. I can sit there for hours checking it out in H-alpha..

Hope All Y’all Have Ya A Great Day!

WnA

Just put all the eyepieces and filters outside to cool off to ambient temp… 

BF205D59-303F-41DD-B507-C6F1237ED47C.jpeg

——————————————————- Mag field plots GONG————  

Here is one of the magnetic field plots. There are a number of them available and they are updated every 2 hours. This is the “line of sight field plot”. Below is the synoptic coronal field plot.864B0EBC-DC38-4603-9E59-98C39B6F7DB0.gif.7723082571347eb05b55cfe2987f2623.gif

D78132BD-B207-431C-BDE6-5916662B3BDF.gif.25e64e8a1457e60fadb6aa2c2c88c6e1.gif

There are several other similar plots there. The data is archived and also available there. 

Enjoy!

W&A

Edited by WildWill
  • Like 3