Newcomer request for help using tools

Krtischer

I find myself coming here daily and saying the same thing to myself:
"Someday I'm going to learn how to use all these tools."

Even to a newcomer that has a decent understanding of electromagnetics from an EE and physics perspective the breadth and depth of these tools is daunting. There are tools at the SpaceWeatherLive, SpaceWeather, and other sites from NASA and NOAA. When I look at what is available I come across analysis paralysis, kind of like what I get when trying to pick out a new brand of toothpaste but are faced with hundreds of varieties all with their own target audience, flavor, and application. Without context I'm likely to pick the same old thing, or in this case come back again tomorrow and say "Someday I'm going to learn how to use all these tools".

OK it's a poor analogy, and I expect that different tools have different uses depending on what is being analyzed or studied, and I expect that some people use the same tools differently, or different tools simply out of personal preference. The answer to so many questions usually starts with "Well, it depends...". 

A few months ago I ran across a Youtube page (no not that S0 one) that had a fairly large series of shorter videos (one on each tool) and gave an overview of terms and usage. I can't seem to locate this today now that I'm looking.

I don't have an expectation to pick all this up in one sitting. Like any area of specialization, acquiring competence and proficiency is a long game. At this point I've spent more time thinking about taking this on than it probably takes to get started. At this point I might as well dig in.

I would be grateful if some video resources could be linked to. The younger people I interact with have asked me questions on occasion when I have these resources open, and it would benefit them as well if I could actually show them a thing or two. 

In any case, thank you all for doing what you do.

15 hours ago, Krtischer said:

I find myself coming here daily and saying the same thing to myself:
"Someday I'm going to learn how to use all these tools."

Even to a newcomer that has a decent understanding of electromagnetics from an EE and physics perspective the breadth and depth of these tools is daunting. There are tools at the SpaceWeatherLive, SpaceWeather, and other sites from NASA and NOAA. When I look at what is available I come across analysis paralysis, kind of like what I get when trying to pick out a new brand of toothpaste but are faced with hundreds of varieties all with their own target audience, flavor, and application. Without context I'm likely to pick the same old thing, or in this case come back again tomorrow and say "Someday I'm going to learn how to use all these tools".

OK it's a poor analogy, and I expect that different tools have different uses depending on what is being analyzed or studied, and I expect that some people use the same tools differently, or different tools simply out of personal preference. The answer to so many questions usually starts with "Well, it depends...". 

A few months ago I ran across a Youtube page (no not that S0 one) that had a fairly large series of shorter videos (one on each tool) and gave an overview of terms and usage. I can't seem to locate this today now that I'm looking.

I don't have an expectation to pick all this up in one sitting. Like any area of specialization, acquiring competence and proficiency is a long game. At this point I've spent more time thinking about taking this on than it probably takes to get started. At this point I might as well dig in.

I would be grateful if some video resources could be linked to. The younger people I interact with have asked me questions on occasion when I have these resources open, and it would benefit them as well if I could actually show them a thing or two. 

In any case, thank you all for doing what you do.

Howdy!

Might I suggest you start right here. There is an exception help section as well as a good FAQ and glossary. 
 SWL (this website), like many others, is an aggregator. SWL does not produce any of the data, SWL pulls it from a variety of sources. 

You can find much of the data along with good information on what it means at SWPC.noaa.gov.  The space weather prediction center. They have some good information about wear it all means.  Check out "Products & Services" on that website.

Another good resource is sdo.gsfc.NASA.gov - the solar Dynamics observatory.  
 Checking out the data and images, along with what's happnin' on the sun, and the discussions here should provide you with a good starting point!

The x-ray flux is a good indicator of what's going on.  And how intense it is at the moment.  Flares are measured by X-ray flux. Right now, background flux is about B9 and falling, from a C6 flare about two hours ago...

There are also some interesting educational posts under "Insightful Reading" in the forums.

Hope this helps!

WnA

• Like 1