AR3147

Sam Warfel

22 hours ago, Orneno said:

This little spot seems to be crackling with a lot more (very small) flares than I would have thought for an *alpha* class spot… is there something about this spot I’m missing?

image.png.6fc3419a7c0a45df833b20c199a70b00.png

Hello Orneno there was an amount of sigmoid actiity around this AR yesterday. The twisting and recombining of magnetic fields detected as sigmoids will often result in flares being produced. The colourised magnetogram doesn't always show what is going on under the surface. Flares occur in active regions often around sunspots, where intense magnetic fields penetrate the photosphere to link the corona to the solar interior. Flares are powered by the sudden (timescales of minutes to tens of minutes) release of magnetic energy stored in the corona.

Of further interest is that there is sigmoid activity around AR13150 a sunspot that has grown very quickly lately. Unfortunately it is not in a good position for sun watchers as it will soon depart around the West Limb.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Newbie said:

Hello Orneno there was an amount of sigmoid actiity around this AR yesterday. The twisting and recombining of magnetic fields detected as sigmoids will often result in flares being produced. The colourised magnetogram doesn't always show what is going on under the surface. Flares occur in active regions often around sunspots, where intense magnetic fields penetrate the photosphere to link the corona to the solar interior. Flares are powered by the sudden (timescales of minutes to tens of minutes) release of magnetic energy stored in the corona.

Of further interest is that there is sigmoid activity around AR13150 a sunspot that has grown very quickly lately. Unfortunately it is not in a good position for sun watchers as it will soon depart around the West Limb.

Thanks for shedding light on the activity!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Newbie said:

Howdy Ms Newbie!

Ya nailed that one right smack dab on the middle of the head! Smack dab! It's (13150)  taken over from 13147 in providing some activity! AR13150 just popped of an M1.6. Also, the last 3 C flares came from it as well. And, unfortunately, it's rapidly approaching the limb...

Nice call!

Will

😎

• Haha 1

It looks to me like we are seeing a greater amount of intermixing. Additionally, both the spot count and the size have increased by 20% since yesterday! 

Perhaps once it gets around the limb, it'll pop off a nice X Class flare or 2...

All y'all have a nice day!

WnA

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 11/17/2022 at 8:30 PM, Orneno said:

This little spot seems to be crackling with a lot more (very small) flares than I would have thought for an *alpha* class spot… is there something about this spot I’m missing?

image.png.6fc3419a7c0a45df833b20c199a70b00.png

Hi Orneno,

One thing to keep in mind is that it was still to far out on the limb to accurately determine magnetic classification with any certainty. My guess is that the alpha designation was little more than a placeholder. Even at this angle, I can see what appears to be some intermixing of polarities. 

WnA