A solar meteor?? LASCO C2

WildWill
Go to solution Solved by Jesterface23,

Howdy all y’all! 

Has anyone else noticed what appears to be a shooting star head for the sun and burn up?? 
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/lasco-coronagraph

It’s visible beginning at 2022/11/6 @ approx 10:00 UT. 
Just before, you can see mercury or Venus enter the view from the right, just after that, you can see a tiny streak of a “shooting star” enter the view from the bottom and move very quickly to about 1/3 to 1/4 as far from the sun as when it entered the view!  

We see it enters the picture at the edge of LASCO C2 and about two thirds out on LASCO C3. On LASCO C3, it’s actually visible at the beginning of the current loop - 2022-11-05 17:00 UT. 

Talk about space trucking’!

Anybody got any more info on this “thing”. Could have been a comet or an asteroid. It sure is cooking along pretty quickly! Or was, I should say. You can see it burn up at the end!

Check it out! I thought it was very cool!

And, the sun just came out here, so I’m off to the back yard..,

Cheers & Enjoy!

WnA

Edited by WildWill
  • Like 1

• Solution

That is a comet, becoming brighter as they come closer to the Sun and have a tail. They don't go directly into the Sun, but it is probably close enough to burn up and no longer exist in a few hours. 

The other small bright spot planet is Mercury.

Edited by Jesterface23

8 hours ago, Jesterface23 said:

That is a comet, becoming brighter as they come closer to the Sun and have a tail. They don't go directly into the Sun, but it is probably close enough to burn up and no longer exist in a few hours. 

The other small bright spot planet is Mercury.

The whole “meteor” bit was meant to be amusing… pretty picture. To me, it’s trajectory would suggest an Orr Cloud Comet - I wonder how long ago it began this journey that ended today. 

Looks like a pair of small asteroids crashed into the east limb at about the same time as the comet came apart.

• Cool 1

This comet appears to match an inbound trajectory Kreutz group comet.

https://sungrazer.nrl.navy.mil/C2_C3_Comet_Tracks#TrackImages

"Note that SOHO's Kreutz-group discoveries do not survive perihelion -- this means that we never see them on the "outbound" portion of their orbit. " 

Edited by Drax Spacex
no outbound
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, WildWill said:

The whole “meteor” bit was meant to be amusing… pretty picture. To me, it’s trajectory would suggest an Orr Cloud Comet - I wonder how long ago it began this journey that ended today. 

Hi WildWill! It's actually a Kreutz group comet or also known as Kreutz sungrazer! You may have already saw people say that already, but I just wanted to tell you. If you want more info on it, read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kreutz_sungrazer

It's very interesting actually!

Edited by Solarflaretracker200
  • Like 1