Explanation of various types of solar radio emissions

6 hours ago, farm24 said:

someday i hope to be able to detect a radio burst with my equipment, but alas no bursts happen when i have it setup

and i don't know if my equipment is capable of even detecting them

Hello farm24 you will have more opportunity when solar activity ramps up in the coming years. Iā€™ve heard recordings of bursts that have been posted on sites at different times. Quite amazing.

N.

Ā 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2022 at 9:31 AM, farm24 said:

someday i hope to be able to detect a radio burst with my equipment, but alas no bursts happen when i have it setup

and i don't know if my equipment is capable of even detecting them

Howdy farm24,

There are a couple of programs out there that you might be interested in. Have you checked out the Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers? They will sell you a Ā setup for US$48. Then, you can become part of their observer program... Ā check it out there:

https://www.radio-astronomy.org/node/276

They have a couple of other interesting programs as well.Ā 
Ā 

AAVSO also has a couple of projects going and need observers (all about variable stars)

https://www.aavso.org/sid-software
Ā 

The Astronomy League also has some interesting programs you could get involved with:

https://www.astroleague.org/programs/radio-astronomy-observing-program
Ā 

There's another good program out there that I was looking at last week, but I can't find it now. Ā It may be associated with SuperSID. Ā I do recall it was also associated with the United Nations (no snickers please!).

I also happen to have 3 antennas (dish) on my roof that you are welcome to have - just bring yer own tools and take 'em i off!Ā 
Ā 

I was a real buff for a long time. It started when I went to Arecibo back on the 70's...Ā 

Hope this helps!

Cheers

WnA

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, WildWill said:

Howdy farm24,

There are a couple of programs out there that you might be interested in. Have you checked out the Society of Amateur Radio Astronomers? They will sell you a Ā setup for US$48. Then, you can become part of their observer program... Ā check it out there:

Ā 

AAVSO also has a couple of projects going and need observers (all about variable stars)

Ā 

The Astronomy League also has some interesting programs you could get involved with:

Ā 

There's another good program out there that I was looking at last week, but I can't find it now. Ā It may be associated with SuperSID. Ā I do recall it was also associated with the United Nations (no snickers please!).

I also happen to have 3 antennas (dish) on my roof that you are welcome to have - just bring yer own tools and take 'em i off!Ā 
Ā 

I was a real buff for a long time. It started when I went to Arecibo back on the 70's...Ā 

Hope this helps!

Cheers

WnA

Rest in peace Arecibo šŸ˜­

1 hour ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

What even is that?

A destroyed radio telescope, the largest single radio telescope in the world

10 hours ago, WildWill said:

Howdy farm24,

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Hope this helps!

Cheers

WnA

Thank you these resources will be helpful

3 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

What even is that?

Aricebo is a town in Puerto Rico where they built a radio dish right into the hills, with the receiver hung by cables and repositioned with them as well. It was for a long time the largest dish in the world. Itā€™s the one you see in the movie ā€œContactā€. Ā Last year or the year before, a cablemsnapped and the receivers and all those instruments fell and crashed through the dish - 100m or so acrossā€¦

A few years ago, the Chinese built one that was larger, but Aricebo has been there since the 60s. There is also a drop zone in Aricebo. Itā€™s got fantastic views of the island and the ocean as well as the dish - or whatā€™s left of it nowā€¦ You can Google it and find lots of interesting facts about it. Thereā€™s also a couple at the drop zone who make custom flight suits and while they are a little pricey, they are very cool, lots of color and any design you can dream of, they can make!

Im not aware of any plans to fix or replace Aricebo. While the dishes are smaller, the VLA in New Mexico has has like 20ish very large dishes on railroad tracks with a y shaped path for the dishes to be movedā€¦ in conjunction, all these antennas are more powerful than Aricebo wasā€¦

Aricebo was ā€œThe Placeā€ for many decades. They did a lot of SETI work there, but didnā€™t find any aliens except in the movie Contactā€¦

Im sure more than you ever wanted to know about Aricebo! lol.

WnA

Ā 

PS: The first two times I went there I was a kid and my dad was stationed at RooseveltRoads Naval Station - cross roads of the Atlantic. Given my dads work, I got a pretty cool tour of the place, etc.

The third time, I went to a skydiving boogie at the drop zone there. I think there were about 80-90 jumpers. It was incredibly beautiful!Ā 

Edited by WildWill
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, WildWill said:

They will sell you a Ā setup for US$48. Then, you can become part of their observer program... Ā check it out there:

Ā 

A note regarding those kits. They are to detect SID (disturbances in the ionosphere), not solar radio emissions.

To detect solar radio emissions you ideally need a broadband spectrograph to show the characteristic of the radio emission.
There's also a kit for that, but unfortunately it is sold out for quite a while already:
https://radiojove.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Edit: I just found that the kits are in stock again:Ā https://radiojove.net/kit/order_form.html

Alternatively you can build a broadband receiver setup on your own, but it requires a bit of knowledge on receivers and antennas.Ā 

If you just want to detect solar radio emissions (and don't need to characterize them), you could tune a shortwave receiver with a signal level indicator to any frequency between ~20~30 MHz. Particularly type III emissions can be quite powerful and easy to receive. But it needs patience, they don't happen every day at the moment.

Ā 

Edited by helios

3 hours ago, WildWill said:

Aricebo is a town in Puerto Rico where they built a radio dish right into the hills, with the receiver hung by cables and repositioned with them as well. It was for a long time the largest dish in the world. Itā€™s the one you see in the movie ā€œContactā€. Ā Last year or the year before, a cablemsnapped and the receivers and all those instruments fell and crashed through the dish - 100m or so acrossā€¦

A few years ago, the Chinese built one that was larger, but Aricebo has been there since the 60s. There is also a drop zone in Aricebo. Itā€™s got fantastic views of the island and the ocean as well as the dish - or whatā€™s left of it nowā€¦ You can Google it and find lots of interesting facts about it. Thereā€™s also a couple at the drop zone who make custom flight suits and while they are a little pricey, they are very cool, lots of color and any design you can dream of, they can make!

Im not aware of any plans to fix or replace Aricebo. While the dishes are smaller, the VLA in New Mexico has has like 20ish very large dishes on railroad tracks with a y shaped path for the dishes to be movedā€¦ in conjunction, all these antennas are more powerful than Aricebo wasā€¦

Aricebo was ā€œThe Placeā€ for many decades. They did a lot of SETI work there, but didnā€™t find any aliens except in the movie Contactā€¦

Im sure more than you ever wanted to know about Aricebo! lol.

WnA

Ā 

PS: The first two times I went there I was a kid and my dad was stationed at RooseveltRoads Naval Station - cross roads of the Atlantic. Given my dads work, I got a pretty cool tour of the place, etc.

The third time, I went to a skydiving boogie at the drop zone there. I think there were about 80-90 jumpers. It was incredibly beautiful!Ā 

As an old guy, I remember very well when someone noticed the bowl shaped depression in Puerto Rico and ā€œ Hey sure would make one heck of a radio telescope!). Tough to get the earth to use an equatorial mount however, so they ā€œ steered ā€œ the input above to great success!Ā 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WildWill said:

OH! I know what that is. I didnā€™t know it was called that but I know what your talking about now.Ā 

Ā 

Wow thatā€™s cool. Maybe Iā€™ll Google it and see what other interesting things I can find!Ā 

Ā 

The third time, I went to a skydiving boogie at the drop zone there. I think there were about 80-90 jumpers. It was incredibly beautiful

Jeez. Youā€™re way braver than me. I canā€™t do anything extremely high because I have an intense fear of heights lol (well except be on a plane lol and roller coasters if there not likeā€¦ HIGH) Like I kinda freak out when I got on high places. Yes I know Iā€™m a wuss šŸ˜‚Ā 

• Like 1