CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

Looking for ways to use solar data to improve work...

GNellis

New to this site but so interested to learn more. What brought me here? Great question!!!

I work in the land surveying field and we use a lot of GPS for field work. I recently had a 1st in TX on a project where one of my surveyors had a section of work that was all out by around 0.7'-0.8' horizontally. Typically, this would be a multipath issue where the signals are bouncing off objects before getting to the receiver. With the newer equipment and advancements, this isn't likely as the errors were all very similar...if you multipath, the errors will be all over the place.

One of our techs saw that there were some solar events that day and we are curious whether we should be taking a much more serious look into monitoring space weather to help us predict when some of these major solar events could happen.

Being that our GPS use satellites from multiple constellations and use radio, I would like to get more educated in the things I really need to concentrate on to help examine events like this but also prevent them in the future. I am asking for help in identifying the couple areas I should really concentrate on getting educated on as well as any great reference material you all might have to share that I can use. 

Appreciate any help and guidance for this noob in advance!!!

G

3 hours ago, GNellis said:

New to this site but so interested to learn more. What brought me here? Great question!!!

I work in the land surveying field and we use a lot of GPS for field work. I recently had a 1st in TX on a project where one of my surveyors had a section of work that was all out by around 0.7'-0.8' horizontally. Typically, this would be a multipath issue where the signals are bouncing off objects before getting to the receiver. With the newer equipment and advancements, this isn't likely as the errors were all very similar...if you multipath, the errors will be all over the place.

One of our techs saw that there were some solar events that day and we are curious whether we should be taking a much more serious look into monitoring space weather to help us predict when some of these major solar events could happen.

Being that our GPS use satellites from multiple constellations and use radio, I would like to get more educated in the things I really need to concentrate on to help examine events like this but also prevent them in the future. I am asking for help in identifying the couple areas I should really concentrate on getting educated on as well as any great reference material you all might have to share that I can use. 

G

Check out insightful reading section.  I’ve been here about a year, it has helped me clear up misconceptions held for years!  Best of luck. 

3 hours ago, GNellis said:

G

Based on your description I assume that you are using Differential GPS and that you would normally expect accuracy down to 3" or 4". I found this article which indicates that there has been some fairly detailed analysis of the potential for errors https://earth-planets-space.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/1880-5981-66-62. It seems that they have focused on the Solar Wind and CMEs, and resulting scintillation events. On that basis you might want to take a look at the WSA-Enlil solar wind predictions, which aim to predict event arrival at Earth https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/solar-activity/wsa-enlil.html. I found other data which suggests that the signal can also vary according to time of day and location  https://www.septentrio.com/en/learn-more/insights/solar-wind-blows-gnss-course#:~:text=GPS or more generally%2C GNSS,the quality of satellite signals.

4 hours ago, GNellis said:

By the way, my younger brother just retired in our state as a surveyor. I could forward any pertinent questions, should they arise.  

2 hours ago, hamateur 1953 said:
7 hours ago, GNellis said:

By the way, my younger brother just retired in our state as a surveyor. I could forward any pertinent questions, should they arise.  

My brother says you are most welcome!