Go to solution Solved by Vancanneyt Sander,

UTC or local time?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. UTC or local time?

• UTC is the only way
    • Local time for live data
    • Local time for all data

This poll is closed to new votes

We received a few average ratings in regards of the use of UTC, some prople hate to calculate the difference of their current time zone with UTC. So a poll to see what you guys prefer and we can see what we can do about it.

PS: if we switch to local time, we won't be able to do it on every bit (for example the solar flare list start, max and end time)

1 minute ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Thatā€™s a bit more difficult as we need to update each chart after changing setting.

Ah ok, i don think mixing the times (say having local for live only) would be good, as it may confuse some people. But those are just my ideas i may be wrong.

1 hour ago, Orneno said:

Tbh I never even have to convert anything to local time, I just see ā€œoh CME shock hit DSCOVR about an hour agoā€ or whatnotĀ 

Same, usually the only time I do the conversion is looking at the Kp forecast, to know what time of day I can possibly expect things to ramp up (like will it line up with nighttime).

• Like 2

UTC is what events are timestamped with. Converting it to local time would only create confusion, when people keep referring to those events here in this forum in their local time, I believe. We are more or less like minded and interested in science. Therefore we should aim to understand each other.

Just my two pence...

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

We have a clear winner: UTC all the way.Ā 

Among the sample that is forum users, likely making up the very most dedicated enthusiasts, and less so the casual visitor, who might be those who prefer local time.Ā 

Edited by Orneno

21 minuten geleden, Orneno zei:

Among the sample that is forum users, likely making up the very most dedicated enthusiasts, and less so the casual visitor, who might be those who prefer local time.Ā 

True, but implementing user configurable options isn't really a possibility (which would require user logins to be able to save preferences and t would have a huge impact on the performance of SWL). It's one or the other.Ā 

3 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

True, but implementing user configurable options isn't really a possibility (which would require user logins to be able to save preferences and t would have a huge impact on the performance of SWL). It's one or the other.Ā 

And in that case, I definitely support UTC. Iā€™m just making sure we consider all the variables šŸ˜

Another UTC plus: all solar images are timestamped in UTC, and if things (for me, especially the x-ray flux graph) were in local time, we would still be doing the conversion. For example, earlier I was watching LASCO after the M1 flare, and it's nice to have consistent times to see "oh, flare happened at 15:00, but LASCO's only updated to 13:00, gotta wait still"Ā šŸ˜‰

• Thanks 1