unexpected geomagnetic storm?

Isatsuki San
Go to solution Solved by Newbie,

48 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

It is a CH, possibly starting with a CME that launched around 5-6 days ago(unclear). But did the sudden impulse detection break, because the proton density dropped like a rock? Just got an email lol

How is it a CH when there hasn't been one facing us the last few days? The one facing us now is due to arrive on the 16th.

17 minutes ago, mozy said:

How is it a CH when there hasn't been one facing us the last few days? The one facing us now is due to arrive on the 16th.

It is only 10 to 15 degrees above the center of the solar disk, so it is close enough for some interactions. The one facing us now is 0 to 5 degrees off of the center disk, and much smaller than the CH seen a few days ago (actually still visible in the northern disk).

Edited by Jesterface23

• Solution

This has been reported.

INTERPLANETARY SHOCK WAVE: This wasn't in the forecast. An interplanetary shock wave struck Earth on Sept. 14th at 2313 UT. Magnetometers in Boulder, CO, registered a sudden impulse of 30 nanoTeslas. This may be a previously unrecognized CME embedded in the solar wind. Minor G1-class geomagnetic storms are possible in the hours ahead as Earth's magnetic field reverberates from the impact.

N.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Newbie said:

This has been reported.

INTERPLANETARY SHOCK WAVE: This wasn't in the forecast. An interplanetary shock wave struck Earth on Sept. 14th at 2313 UT. Magnetometers in Boulder, CO, registered a sudden impulse of 30 nanoTeslas. This may be a previously unrecognized CME embedded in the solar wind. Minor G1-class geomagnetic storms are possible in the hours ahead as Earth's magnetic field reverberates from the impact.

N.

I'm surprised no one talked about there being a possible CME coming our way, I saw AR3098 sent one out after a C-class flare and it was pretty visible but since no one was mentioning anything about it I just thought it was a miss.

29 minutes ago, mozy said:

I'm surprised no one talked about there being a possible CME coming our way, I saw AR3098 sent one out after a C-class flare and it was pretty visible but since no one was mentioning anything about it I just thought it was a miss.

Lol let's just say there was a bit of distraction going on with delta spots. Didn't think to look at anything else lol.

The M 1.7 flare was very impulsive too.... but with the flurry of activity from 3098 something had to come from it IMHO.

N.

... and we're all just waiting.. and waiting ... and waiting for some serious action from the Sun!

• Like 2

To follow up, the CIR from the CH is predicted by SWPC to arrive tomorrow on Sept 16.

There was some coronal dimming in SDO AIA 193 imagery that looked CMEish at about 2022-09-11 1300 UT, in the vicinity of and just south of AR3098, perhaps a filament eruption or DSF.

The CME or "transient" responsible for recent Kp4 active conditions may not have been clearly visible on LASCO, or if it was, may have been erroneously presumed to be farside.

1 hour ago, Drax Spacex said:

To follow up, the CIR from the CH is predicted by SWPC to arrive tomorrow on Sept 16.

There was some coronal dimming in SDO AIA 193 imagery that looked CMEish at about 2022-09-11 1300 UT, in the vicinity of and just south of AR3098, perhaps a filament eruption or DSF.

The CME or "transient" responsible for recent Kp4 active conditions may not have been clearly visible on LASCO, or if it was, may have been erroneously presumed to be farside.

image.jpeg.530b3b817f9eac860d3cf282cb3d7a47.jpeg

Two filaments like the twin towers on 9-11.

BR