Updated home page!

Marcel de Bont

Hey folks,

We made some minor changes to our home page! Bit less cluttered, essential information up front, buttons with drop downs to more information but the basic principles are the same. Just take a look to see what you think. Comments about the good and bad are more than welcome!

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Cool 3

Definitely like how things are a bit more compact.

As an amateur radio operator, the "Today's Sun" info is really what I'm looking for. It's a slight nuisance to have to click to see it every time now.

I'm also really interested in seeing the Solar activity graph. Based on the screen size I'm using, I may not be able to see that together with "Today's Sun". I really liked how those two were previously near each other.

Just minor critiques. Thanks for all you do!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Hey folks,

We made some minor changes to our home page! Bit less cluttered, essential information up front, buttons with drop downs to more information but the basic principles are the same. Just take a look to see what you think. Comments about the good and bad are more than welcome!

Cheers!

Not gonna lie, I prefer more scrolling to drop downs. But, I can live with it. 

The one thing that is real bother is not having hemispheric power visible without clicking a button. I use hemispheric power a lot, probably the most used data behind solar wind/imf. And I definitely use it more than the Ovation map that is shown by default without using a button. 
I’d much prefer either Ovation and hemispheric power swapped places with HP visible by default and the oval with a button, or simply display no all the time in this case. 

• Like 2

@Marcel de Bont @Vancanneyt Sanderwhat happened to the the estimated probabilities of “minor” “active” and “severe” aurora at low, middle, and high latitudes? I don’t see it anywhere on the homepage including dropdowns. Was it just removed? I kinda liked it but I guess it wasn’t actually all that useful 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Orneno said:

@Marcel de Bont @Vancanneyt Sanderwhat happened to the the estimated probabilities of “minor” “active” and “severe” aurora at low, middle, and high latitudes? I don’t see it anywhere on the homepage including dropdowns. Was it just removed? I kinda liked it but I guess it wasn’t actually all that useful 

It’s still here: https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/auroral-activity/aurora-forecast.html

18 hours ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Hey folks,

Cheers!

All around I like the changes, just hope the new compact style isn't a prelude to more advertisements. (Since there is more space)

I prefer the larger ratio on the slackpot/magnetometers, but that's about it.

12 hours ago, Orneno said:

Not gonna lie, I prefer more scrolling to drop downs. But, I can live with it. 

The one thing that is real bother is not having hemispheric power visible without clicking a button. I use hemispheric power a lot, probably the most used data behind solar wind/imf. And I definitely use it more than the Ovation map that is shown by default without using a button. 
I’d much prefer either Ovation and hemispheric power swapped places with HP visible by default and the oval with a button, or simply display no all the time in this case. 

100% agree. HP is always good to track for auroras (and can even be more important than Kp for viewing!). But I also think the aesthetics of the Hemispheric Power data look good on the page

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Landon Moeller said:

100% agree. HP is always good to track for auroras (and can even be more important than Kp for viewing!). But I also think the aesthetics of the Hemispheric Power data look good on the page

Agreed, after solar wind speed and Bz it may be the most important thing on there and what I look at most when chasing (after speed and Bz)

Even more than the KP that takes pride of place at the top of the page. 

Edited by Orneno
  • Like 1

We see and read all your comments, thanks for the input. About the HP index... the HP index is calculated by the OVATION computer model and the auroral oval map is also drawn using this data. If you see the auroral oval is getting yellow, orange or red you know the calculated HP index is also elevated. If you really want to see the exact number and not just use the map (which basically shows the number visualized) you can just open the drop down? 

• Like 3

Op 4/9/2022 om 16:20, ebarch zei:

It's a slight nuisance to have to click to see it every time now.

For everyone that just want's to see it all we have a solution in the making. If you tap the button to open for example HP-index it will be saved in memory. Next time you visit it will open it up automatically so you don't need to click again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

For everyone that just want's to see it all we have a solution in the making. If you tap the button to open for example HP-index it will be saved in memory. Next time you visit it will open it up automatically so you don't need to click again.

That would be perfect. Could it be applied to all buttons? And I assume it would work in the app too? That’s what I use. 

One comment I have on the home page is that there appear to be extra borders around the solar wind readout graphs that extend past the column. I am using the Firefox browser (v104.1, Windows), but I also see this in Chromium-based Edge (v104.0.1293.70) and in the Android app.

From what I can tell, these borders are being generated through a media selector CSS rule that is applied to the "graph"-classed <div> elements, which sets the background-color style attribute of those elements. Disabling this rule, at least on my end, seems to only remove the extra borders, and appears otherwise harmless, so perhaps that is something that could be changed to help streamline the look of the new columns, at least if the rule isn't important for other parts of the site styling?
CSSrule.thumb.jpg.846ecbdf10ba5447bf7081ec89544ec2.jpg 

2 uren geleden, explodabat zei:

One comment I have on the home page is that there appear to be extra borders around the solar wind readout graphs that extend past the column. I am using the Firefox browser (v104.1, Windows), but I also see this in Chromium-based Edge (v104.0.1293.70) and in the Android app.

From what I can tell, these borders are being generated through a media selector CSS rule that is applied to the "graph"-classed <div> elements, which sets the background-color style attribute of those elements. Disabling this rule, at least on my end, seems to only remove the extra borders, and appears otherwise harmless, so perhaps that is something that could be changed to help streamline the look of the new columns, at least if the rule isn't important for other parts of the site styling?
CSSrule.thumb.jpg.846ecbdf10ba5447bf7081ec89544ec2.jpg 

Thx for the report, I’ve noticed it too earlier this evening and it’s on our project board to see for a fix.

• Thanks 1

Op 5/9/2022 om 17:29, Vancanneyt Sander zei:

It will be applied to all collapsable content. We haven't pushed it yet so you won't notice it as of now as I just barely finished coding it.

Think this is a brilliant solution for those who enjoy the extra info expanded. All hail our lord and savior @Vancanneyt Sander

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1