Let’s Play a Game -> show me the deltas!

WildWill
Go to solution Solved by arjemma,

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Howdy! Howdy! All Y'all!

And here we are once again! Wanna try yer luck on "Show me the Deltas!"?

47D2ED48-41A1-4A06-B48B-4F2A40EBFF01.jpeg.7785424eec0ad5ca2880b6f87f832255.jpeg

We have AR13153, in bound from the East limb! Perhaps it will give us a nice show!

its socked in here - overcast, clouds and fog...  no sun in the forecast for the next week - so no visual observations... 

This would be the "right time" fer a big ole honkin' X-15 Flare to come flying outta the sun!!  This could be the AR that does it!! 

So, come on all y'all and show me the deltas!!

Cheers.

WnA

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WildWill said:

Howdy! Howdy! All Y'all!

And here we are once again! Wanna try yer luck on "Show me the Deltas!"?

47D2ED48-41A1-4A06-B48B-4F2A40EBFF01.jpeg.7785424eec0ad5ca2880b6f87f832255.jpeg

We have AR13153, in bound from the East limb! Perhaps it will give us a nice show!

its socked in here - overcast, clouds and fog...  no sun in the forecast for the next week - so no visual observations... 

This would be the "right time" fer a big ole honkin' X-15 Flare to come flying outta the sun!!  This could be the AR that does it!! 

So, come on all y'all and show me the deltas!!

Cheers.

WnA

This is not a delta region though.

ouch.  my poor brain.  Sure as heck LOOKS like a delta.  Is it missing

components like magnetic shear perhaps?? 

53 minutes ago, mozy said:

This is not a delta region though.

as per Mins earlier comment on “ sniffing”  I disqualify myself by having a nasty head cold.  

17 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Agree.

No - there are no underlying spots, just a bit of orphan penumbra (credit goes to @Philalethes Bythos)

ok, well if that’s all that are missing..  editing software to the rescue🤣🤣🤣

Ok circling back to my ignorance ifya please. 

I will attempt to illustrate via the english language my confusion (s)  Absence of spots beneath a penumbra = no delta.  My takeaway from this would be: Zero fluxtubes emerging on or near the suns surface.  Correct?? 

From my double exposure image overlay comparison, I don't currently see any delta spots either, though some of these spots are very near the edge between polarities.

The official magnetic classification for AR3153 for the past 2 days has been β-δ.  Why is this?  Why are we not all on the same page?

Cutting-and-pasting from another topic post:

To know for certain, we'd need to see the detailed worksheet / workup.

1) Which HMI imagery is used to determine polarity, colorized or black and white?  

2) How is "same penumbra or "same penumbral area" determined and drawn?

3) Which are the individual sunspots in AR group being evaluated?  Is that really a delta sunspot or just a delta pore that should not be considered?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Drax Spacex said:

From my double exposure image overlay comparison, I don't currently see any delta spots either, though some of these spots are very near the edge between polarities.

The official magnetic classification for AR3153 for the past 2 days has been β-δ.  Why is this?  Why are we not all on the same page?

Cutting-and-pasting from another topic post:

To know for certain, we'd need to see the detailed worksheet / workup.

1) Which HMI imagery is used to determine polarity, colorized or black and white?  

2) How is "same penumbra or "same penumbral area" determined and drawn?

3) Which are the individual sunspots in AR group being evaluated?  Is that really a delta sunspot or just a delta pore that should not be considered?

Thanks for the clarification Drax.  Mike 

• 2 weeks later...

Jumping here from the AR1365 thread...

https://ibb.co/bmgm5s9

Within the red circle, the two small spots pointed to by the white arrows look like delta spots.

Within the teal circle, the two spots might be delta spots IF they are considered part of the same penumbral area; however, they may not be delta spots if they are considered two different penumbras "butt-jointed" side-by-side.

Which are the actual delta spots?

1 hour ago, Drax Spacex said:

Within the red circle, the two small spots pointed to by the white arrows look like delta spots.

Within the teal circle, the two spots might be delta spots IF they are considered part of the same penumbral area; however, they may not be delta spots if they are considered two different penumbras "butt-jointed" side-by-side.

Perhaps one way to answer that is if we can see which one is flaring more, if the flares are localized enough to be determinative

5 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

The area circled in teal is the delta. It's still present, although it's getting harder to tell as the region approaches the limb. That sliver of positive polarity remaining there is a lot more intense than the m-gram gives an impression of, as you can see in the i-gram. If you look at video of the flaring, e.g. in the 131 angstrom band, you can see that it is this part of the region that is flaring, so most of the shear seems to going on there.

imageedit-1-8331701728.gif

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy All Y'all! 
The sensors are detecting 3 deltas, how about y'all who are good with delta identification to show the rest of us where they are.

But, please don't look at anyone else's identification until you've posted your own - perhaps everyone can learn something new! 

So, come on all y'all! Show me the deltas! 

Hope yer all having a great day wherever under the sun you are! 

• Like 1

The only delta spot I see at the time of writing this.

Then again, I don't like calling small spots like this a delta anyways so, other than this little spot, all regions have lost their deltas that they had.

84d61408b9b9fa890dcf4cebb29e6c46.jpgd04d8aa6d8ffe685b3c9213779d311ef.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, WildWill said:

Howdy All Y’all,

We have two regions with deltas! Anyone care to show then to us?

cheers.

The one in 3190 should be rather obvious, so I guess you're probably primarily asking about 3194; at the current time I don't see any delta there at all, so perhaps there was a small one that disappeared at some time (or it was mislabeled, always an option too naturally).

Edited by Philalethes Bythos

7 hours ago, WildWill said:

Howdy All Y’all,

We have two regions with deltas! Anyone care to show then to us?

cheers.

WnA

As PB said, these two are fairly obvious, but to a newer person they could still be informative, so here are the two delta spots in 3190 at time of writing:

B1370655-6710-480E-B084-EACB25BE52CA.jpeg

B5D867E5-52EA-43E9-ACEE-52C1D5399384.jpeg

Edited by Sam Warfel
  • Like 3

ARs with Deltas will now be named like hurricanes... 

Show me the deltas!!! Anyone?!?

E72DDEFE-37F5-4D5B-AE0F-41550D3C0F0A.thumb.jpeg.298e01562555ebd2d9e7af71b7ddf2c4.jpeg

On 1/22/2023 at 3:10 PM, Sam Warfel said:

As PB said, these two are fairly obvious, but to a newer person they could still be informative, so here are the two delta spots in 3190 at time of writing:

B1370655-6710-480E-B084-EACB25BE52CA.jpeg

B5D867E5-52EA-43E9-ACEE-52C1D5399384.jpeg

Howdy O,

I wasn't referring to those two, but two others - one I believed was a delta and the other a wannabe, very close... 

But thank for pointing these two out. 

All y'all have a great day! An if'n yer anywhere round here, stay safe - lots of plasma in the air today!  

Cheers.

W&A

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WildWill said:

ARs with Deltas will now be named like hurricanes... 

Show me the deltas!!! Anyone?!?

Delta Burke??? hamateur 

E72DDEFE-37F5-4D5B-AE0F-41550D3C0F0A.thumb.jpeg.298e01562555ebd2d9e7af71b7ddf2c4.jpeg

Howdy O,

I wasn't referring to those two, but two others - one I believed was a delta and the other a wannabe, very close... 

But thank for pointing these two out. 

All y'all have a great day! An if'n yer anywhere round here, stay safe - lots of plasma in the air today!  

Cheers.

W&A

• 3 weeks later...