Youtube

shemadebeans

sorry for hijacking the other thread. ive been looking at nutjob videos on youtube and want to see what you guys think. 

this video isnt really fearmongering about solar activity, but a certain comment stuck out. the comment is referencing the footage being shown at 38 seconds into the video. "the blue lasco c3 imagery shows massive fluxes in photon output. ive been watching the lasco imagery for years and have never seen that much light output within a coronagraph. whatever NASA/NOAA state that the magnitude of those flares were is a lie. they are far more powerful than any m class flare. its visually obvious."

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

33 minutes ago, Jesterface23 said:

Just stick to websites dedicated to space weather when it comes to geomagnetic storms so you know you are getting information from a reliable source.

yeah of course, but i was more asking if others can see what this person claims to see on the video. idk anything about this sort of thing, otherwise i would look

1 hour ago, shemadebeans said:

sorry for hijacking the other thread. ive been looking at nutjob videos on youtube and want to see what you guys think. 

this video isnt really fearmongering about solar activity, but a certain comment stuck out. the comment is referencing the footage being shown at 38 seconds into the video. "the blue lasco c3 imagery shows massive fluxes in photon output. ive been watching the lasco imagery for years and have never seen that much light output within a coronagraph. whatever NASA/NOAA state that the magnitude of those flares were is a lie. they are far more powerful than any m class flare. its visually obvious."

This will be my first post, hello guys. I would like to start by saying, I am new to observing solar weather myself. Though as any person should. You should question anything brought to your attention. More importantly. YouTube.

I will say what I am noticing from my 3 months of observations is this. Our ancestors have been recording Earth weather, the Sun, and Stars way longer than many may believe. They have made landmarks of these events. For instance, the drying up of the Yangtze River is revealing Buddhist statues within the dried up river bed. Then in Glen Rose TX, at a National Park dedicated to dinosaur fossils. We can see footprints in a creek bed. So, I think it is safe to assume this is normal for the Sun and Earth.

Edited by curiousgeorge

38 minutes ago, shemadebeans said:

yeah of course, but i was more asking if others can see what this person claims to see on the video. idk anything about this sort of thing, otherwise i would look

Maybe he has been watching events for the past 2 years.

You are in the right place to learn.

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

Maybe he has been watching events for the past 2 years.

You are in the right place to learn.

absolutely no disrespect intended but that doesnt really answer my question. i was asking if you could look at the clip in question and come to the same conclusion he did.

3 hours ago, shemadebeans said:

Rage of The Earth is not fear mongering. She does an excellent job of reporting extreme terrible weather. Everyone here and science community fails to recognize weather being impacted by solar activity such as flares, CME and geomagnetic storms not and it does not seem Rage of The Earth misleads about to the solar physics here. I fail to see how her video is fear mongering or inaccurate. Plus it's from the 14th so old news.

Suspicious Observers and World News Report Today seem to analyze solar flaring more extremely. Rage of the Earth is an awesome channel. Still smashomash and tamithha skov are my favorite, accurate, least fear mongering, channels and space weather news summations without bias!

1 hour ago, shemadebeans said:

absolutely no disrespect intended but that doesnt really answer my question. i was asking if you could look at the clip in question and come to the same conclusion he did.

All's good.

4 hours ago, shemadebeans said:

"the blue lasco c3 imagery shows massive fluxes in photon output. ive been watching the lasco imagery for years and have never seen that much light output within a coronagraph. whatever NASA/NOAA state that the magnitude of those flares were is a lie. they are far more powerful than any m class flare. its visually obvious."

So right off the bat they messed up saying the numbers are a lie. I am guessing by light output they mean brightness, and everything looks normal. With the following I'm not saying it is happening, but the brightness could come down to the coronagraph instrument being slightly offset from the center of the Sun, or down to the filter used when processing the image. If they mean the chaos of CME flux ropes, some sunspot regions spit them out like crazy.

7 hours ago, shemadebeans said:

Perdón por secuestrar el otro hilo. He estado mirando videos de chiflados en youtube y quiero ver lo que piensan. 

este video no es realmente alarmante sobre la actividad solar, pero cierto comentario sobresalió. el comentario hace referencia a las imágenes que se muestran a los 38 segundos del video. "Las imágenes de lasco c3 azules muestran flujos masivos en la salida de fotones. He estado observando las imágenes de lasco durante años y nunca había visto tanta salida de luz dentro de un coronógrafo. Lo que la NASA / NOAA afirma que la magnitud de esos destellos fue una mentira. ellos son mucho más poderosas que cualquier bengala de clase m. es visualmente obvio".

I only say that lasco c3 is normal, nothing strange

Hey guys, just decided to repost this in the proper thread now that it's been made.

You can’t depend on YouTubers for information about this subject. Very few are qualified to speak about the subject. The vast majority are either trying to get clicks with fear, are grifters trying to sell survivalist products that aren’t even ideal for an apocalyptic situation or some strange combination of the two.

Let me give you an example from a video I found and posted about in a Facebook group

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLSSOUSTGBrM%26t%3D1450s&h=AT38qU2VY3uMQ9YzousdpC6sDVJvkOY2YH2mRrF5T4nD5Kr0WhAl3KKNIUwD7ouUaGtddUTBUkHvl6rPRr-qnQSr0VhRoKM4IdpCDq6NUXsgpNOGCGPhHjKVvagjx9Y&s=1&__wblt=1

The guy in the Santa outfit is who I am referring to. He is Greg Allison, one of the weirdest characters on YouTube. Now, he was once a rocket engineer for NASA but has been out of the business for years and now farms worms.

He regularly goes on shows like this where he states his ridiculous opinions that we are on the verge of a polar reversal which will lead us to being bombarded by CMEs

Now, even if he is a rocket engineer, he is not a heliophysicist and has no business discussing the Sun. So, he states really out there opinions to this day. 

For instance, he says that the chance of a Carrington Event is higher than 12 percent, the highest it has ever been stated in a study.

What basis does he have for this statement? No clue because he has no studies to back it up.

And my personal favorite, he says that the magnetic field has weakened enough that a 1989 event would take out the grid. Again, no evidence to back him up, just a statement. 

So, in a nutshell, guys like this are prime examples for why you have to avoid YouTuber. Nine times out of ten, you’re not getting scientific information, just grifters trying to scare people for clicks and to selll their crappy survivalist seeds

12 hours ago, FairyG said:

Rage of The Earth is not fear mongering. She does an excellent job of reporting extreme terrible weather. Everyone here and science community fails to recognize weather being impacted by solar activity such as flares, CME and geomagnetic storms not and it does not seem Rage of The Earth misleads about to the solar physics here. I fail to see how her video is fear mongering or inaccurate. Plus it's from the 14th so old news.

Suspicious Observers and World News Report Today seem to analyze solar flaring more extremely. Rage of the Earth is an awesome channel. Still smashomash and tamithha skov are my favorite, accurate, least fear mongering, channels and space weather news summations without bias!

i didnt mean the video was, i was referencing the comment.