File size limits

3gMike
Go to solution Solved by Vancanneyt Sander,

2 hours ago, 3gMike said:

I am trying to insert an image into thread relating to AR3085 and find that I am being restricted to 5.45kB. Is the 200kB limit somehow being applied to the whole thread?

This is due to you having reached the storage limit for your account (this counts all images you have uploaded in the past). You may have to delete them to get the space back, or use Min’s workaround. 

18 minutes ago, Orneno said:

This is due to you having reached the storage limit for your account (this counts all images you have uploaded in the past). You may have to delete them to get the space back, or use Min’s workaround. 

Thanks. Out of interest, what is the account limit?

It is a bit tricky deciding what to delete because it will obviously make any reference in the post meaningless.

12 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

Thanks. Out of interest, what is the account limit?

It is a bit tricky deciding what to delete because it will obviously make any reference in the post meaningless.

Yeah that would make backreading difficult. I don’t remember what the size limit is, @Vancanneyt Sanderwould know though. 

I think the external hosting workaround is a better solution than deleting. 

• Thanks 1

Current limits are 200kb per post and 5mb total (the gallery has other limits). Removing stuff isn't possible for users it seems, we could enable it but it would lead to dead links into posts so that isn't convenient as well. 
The main reason that there is a limit is storage costs. For the forum attachments we make use of an external storage solution that we pay per use (so we pay for the bandwidth used and the disk space used), the more attachments the higher the costs get for us. So with 1000 users that upload 5mb will create 5Gb extra used space, if we raise the limit this can become a lot more and thus raise the costs exponentially. SWL is free for everyone but we have to make sure we get out of all costs and we can keep everything online. I don't say it isn't possible to raise the limit but we do have to look at our finances before making changes 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Current limits are 200kb per post and 5mb total (the gallery has other limits). Removing stuff isn't possible for users it seems, we could enable it but it would lead to dead links into posts so that isn't convenient as well. 
The main reason that there is a limit is storage costs. For the forum attachments we make use of an external storage solution that we pay per use (so we pay for the bandwidth used and the disk space used), the more attachments the higher the costs get for us. So with 1000 users that upload 5mb will create 5Gb extra used space, if we raise the limit this can become a lot more and thus raise the costs exponentially. SWL is free for everyone but we have to make sure we get out of all costs and we can keep everything online. I don't say it isn't possible to raise the limit but we do have to look at our finances before making changes 😉 

Thanks for the explanation. I understand the reason for the limit, and I have always tried to minimise the size of files. I would not expect you to increase that limit, so in future I will have to link to Gyazo ( or similar service) for all images.

I guess it is a good reminder for all of us to only embed images when really necessary.

• Thanks 1

• Solution
Op 23/8/2022 om 17:53, 3gMike zei:

Thanks for the explanation. I understand the reason for the limit, and I have always tried to minimise the size of files. I would not expect you to increase that limit, so in future I will have to link to Gyazo ( or similar service) for all images.

Hi Mike,

We've discussed it internally and for our community regulars who often post and have a good reputation we'll promote them to a special member group and have the advantage of 100mb storage and 500kb per item.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cool 1

1 hour ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Hi Mike,

We've discussed it internally and for our community regulars who often post and have a good reputation we'll promote them to a special member group and have the advantage of 100mb storage and 500kb per item.

Thanks Sander. That is a very generous solution.

• Like 1