Region 3079

Vancanneyt Sander

1 hour ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Region 3079 (AR13079) is the most complex region on the disk currently, it has one tiny delta spot in the trailing part of the region and it’s popping with C-class solar flares (strongest C6,9). Hopefully it continues to grow and we might see some M-class solar flares.

Yes, it certainly shows some promise. AR3076 in the northern hemisphere is also growing quite well, and has an interesting magnetic configuration

prelim.pho_aug13_2022.jpg.8facf3619f130b68d1bf0f2bf6b97ed6.jpg

24 minuten geleden, 3gMike zei:

AR3076 in the northern hemisphere is also growing quite well, and has an interesting magnetic configuration

Magnetically 3076 is still beta based on latest imagery. Trailing part of the region has had its development a few days ago but seems not to grow but relatively stable and it shrunk in penumbral area compared to two days ago. So that I won’t call interesting 🤔

6 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Why interesting?

The negative field is located between two positive fields, and magnetic field strength looks quite strong, so I'm hoping that gives rise to some inter-mixing

6 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Magnetically 3076 is still beta based on latest imagery. Trailing part of the region has had its development a few days ago but seems not to grow but relatively stable and it shrunk in penumbral area compared to two days ago. So that I won’t call interesting 🤔

O.K. perhaps I was being a bit optimistic, but otherwise I do not see much hope for anymore action in the northern hemisphere for perhaps half a rotation.

18 minutes ago, HalfFeralHuman said:

A CME appears to be headed marginally down and ahead by the look of things on GOES SUVI 284A. Of course that's guesswork until SOHO confirms. I'm just posting since as far as I can tell GOES SUVI imagery doesn't hang around publicly for long.

Earth Directed?

@HalfFeralHuman @Orneno

https://iswa.ccmc.gsfc.nasa.gov/iswa_data_tree/model/heliosphere/wsa-enlil-cone/animation-cme-density/2022/08/20220814_163600_2.0_anim.tim-den.gif

impact predicted tuestday midnight UTC time. i dont agree with this though i thought it looked way more westward during the eruption tbh.. well, im not the expert. is it possible that it mixes with the CH HSS and/or they interact? @Vancanneyt Sander 

11 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

That’s very optimistic 😂

D2FCDBA8-F7DC-465C-8EBA-8BCD4E82D949.jpeg
looking at LASCO bulk is to the west and I don’t see an asymmetrical full halo CME so I don’t think it will be Earth directed or at max minor flank.

• Like 1

Just now, Vancanneyt Sander said:

That’s very optimistic 😂

looking at LASCO bulk is to the west and I don’t see an asymmetrical full halo CME so I don’t think it will be Earth directed or at max minor flank.

Thank you! I hope you guys keep us updated. It's nice to know that you and marcel always try to be really fast with reporting even outside of aurora season.

7 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Well I’m reporting from a festival currently 😂

Have fun! 

On the CME scoreboard it got reported with 5-8 in KP. do you think the 8 is too optimistic? 

"

CME Note: Visible as a partial halo situated to the west in SOHO LASCO C2/C3 and a partial halo in STEREO A COR2. Source is a filament eruption from AR 13076 lifting off at approximately 2022-08-14T11:42Z. Best seen in SDO AIA 193 as a EUV wave, brightening, and post eruptive arcades. Best seen in SDO AIA 304 as dark filament material lifting off the disk to the west. Also visible in STEREO A EUVI 195.

The CME is Earth directed. Half of the full halo is bright, and the other very dull. The leading span looks fairly small, so I'd have no arrival time prediction.

51 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

On the CME scoreboard it got reported with 5-8 in KP. do you think the 8 is too optimistic? 

I'd guess possibly Kp5 likely, Kp6 possible, Kp7 unlikely at this point.

53 minuten geleden, MinYoongi zei:

Yes, don’t forget that there is currently only 1 forecast made in the scoreboard and it was only a preliminary one. Let’s await other forecasters before drawing any conclusions! I really don’t expect much from it pure based on LASCO 

Looks like some Earth-directed component but not major, maybe G1/G2. We should see something though. 

I’m sure hopeful cause I’m going to be in the Upper Peninsula of MI for the next two weeks, I’ll be well-positioned if there is anything to see! Wish me luck!

• Cool 1

The Parker Spiral effect may help to curve its trajectory more towards Earth.  On the other hand, solar winds from coronal hole #14 might push it away from Earth.  On the other other hand, the effects of both CME and CH HSS may combine to yield storm conditions. 🤔

Edited by Drax Spacex
other other hand
  • Like 1