How does it work ? Solar winds and sunspots

It's a question, rather several questions that may seem strange currently by referring to your sites Space weather live and space weather.com we see that there are 7 sunspots, the earth is moving towards sunspots 3075 and 3076 (correct me if I'm wrong) But in this case if what I don't understand is how can sunspots 3068, 3072 and 3073 still send us solar winds? And also when will we be safe from them? I don't know how it works but I imagined the earth would be out of their line of sight

Sunspots don’t send solar winds, the whole sun does that. Sometimes sunspots have solar flares that launch Coronal Mass Ejections that do send out big puffs of solar wind, but that isn’t happening from any of these sunspots, they have simple magnetic configurations that makes flaring unlikely. 

The earth is located straight out of the from the sun, so the “line of sight” goes to the middle of the solar disc, not the extreme western edge like you mentioned.

The solar wind is not dangerous at all to Earth, even the much bigger puffs of wind known as CMEs do not pose a threat. So we’re perfectly “safe” from the sunspots, and always are. 

I suggest reading SWL’s help section to learn more about solar activity, sunspots, the solar wind, etc. Happy learning!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minuten geleden, Mogh, Lord of Blood zei:

In fact i meant to Say about the electronic stuff and internet, satellites 

Please read the help section before posting new topics! The help section contains the basic information that you need to know to understand how it works. If you still have questions then, we'll be happy to answer. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mogh, Lord of Blood said:

In fact i meant to Say about the electronic stuff and internet, satellites 

The help section is a great start for answering your own questions. 

In general, there are many layers (distance, atmosphere, clouds, magnetosphere etc.) before and flares or wind or anything reaches us. No need to worry, we are 150 kilometers (92 million miles), so the intensity of such things is greatly reduced. This is due to the idea called the Inverse Square Law, which is whenever the distance from a radiant source doubles, the intensity (flux) is reduces by a factor of 4. 

Electronic stuff has fuses, insulators, and redundancy. There have been flares this year, CMEs and all sorts of solar winds, without any issue. Sometimes there is a radio blackout when the D-layer of the atmosphere is ionized, but that is expected and typical.

There have been 6 X-Class flares this year for example: Top 50 solar flares of the year 2022 | Solar activity | SpaceWeatherLive.com

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Orneno said:

Sunspots don’t send solar winds, the whole sun does that. Sometimes sunspots have solar flares that launch Coronal Mass Ejections that do send out big puffs of solar wind, but that isn’t happening from any of these sunspots, they have simple magnetic configurations that makes flaring unlikely. 

The earth is located straight out of the from the sun, so the “line of sight” goes to the middle of the solar disc, not the extreme western edge like you mentioned.

The solar wind is not dangerous at all to Earth, even the much bigger puffs of wind known as CMEs do not pose a threat. So we’re perfectly “safe” from the sunspots, and always are. 

I suggest reading SWL’s help section to learn more about solar activity, sunspots, the solar wind, etc. Happy learning!

Hi,

This post finally caused me to create an account. 😉

I disagree with the statement solar wind and CME's don't pose a threat. They can indeed cause our magnetosphere to weaken, cause global power outages, invoke volcanoes & other severe weather like increased lightning speed and can cause heart attacks and other issues to some humans during high wind speeds and density and moderate to strong solar storms (G1, G2).

There is data that shows solar activity is the direct result of the magnetosphere breakdown, along with the magnetic pole shifting. I recommend, to all, watch the YouTuber Suspicious0bservers. 

I was also reading other commentary posts about how the Sun affects some humans and I'm one of them, well I'm really an alien but for the sake of this post we'll say human 🙂. Since December 2019 ("start of Solar Cycle 25") Solar wind and density as well as solar flares affect me tremendously, I feel almost every m-class and ALL x-class solar flares, and human emotion and vibration as an empath.

Regards,

Lance

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lance Borders said:

disagree with the statement solar wind and CME's don't pose a threat.

That's true, veeeery strong, rare CMEs can post threats to satellites or northerly power grids that aren't adequately prepared.

They can indeed cause our magnetosphere to weaken, cause global power outages, invoke volcanoes & other severe weather like increased lightning speed and can cause heart attacks and other issues to some humans during high wind speeds and density and moderate to strong solar storms (G1, G2).

All of these are circumstantial evidence or theories that haven't been proven, none of that is actual hard science.

There is data that shows solar activity is the direct result of the magnetosphere breakdown, along with the magnetic pole shifting.

That is definitely not true, Earth's magnetic poles have shifted and flipped many times over its history due to the fluctuations in the magnetic lava currents deep inside the earth's core that generate Earth's magnetic field.  The Earth's magnetic field has nothing to do with the solar wind, and is definitely not "breaking it down".  Like I said, it's created in the Earth's core.

I recommend, to all, watch the YouTuber Suspicious0bservers. 

Ben Davidson is a proven sensationalist and fearmonger who peddles conspiracy theories and doomsday prophecy.  Why does he do this? To understand anyone, let's look at the underlying motivation.  Ben wants traffic, in the form of likes and subs that translate to real money for him, so of course he wants them, the more the better.  Now, fear is one of the most effective ways to prey on people's emotions and generate attention, along with overblown sensationalism that makes him stand out from the crowd of real scientists.  He knows the effectiveness of these tactics very well, which is why he uses them so heavily. But in reality very little of his claims are actually correct, scientific, or grounded in science. He has been proven wrong many times, and an inspection of his theories using the scientific method will turn up many red flags.
Suspicious0bservers is not a credible source for information, please seek actual science such as material from NOAA or SWPC.

8 hours ago, Lance Borders said:

I was also reading other commentary posts about how the Sun affects some humans and I'm one of them, well I'm really an alien but for the sake of this post we'll say human 🙂. Since December 2019 ("start of Solar Cycle 25") Solar wind and density as well as solar flares affect me tremendously, I feel almost every m-class and ALL x-class solar flares, and human emotion and vibration as an empath.

Regards,

Lance

Enjoy your reading and discussion, keep in mind all discussion of heliobiology or Suspicious0bservers must be within the "unproven theories" subforum of the "other" section of these forums, thank you.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mogh, Lord of Blood said:

ow can sunspots 3068, 3072 and 3073 still send us solar winds

Hi
"solar wind" can be very obnoxious to predict. it comes in broadband 400-1000kmph and in very rare events higher takes a few days to hours to go down.
Sidenotes: Transformers and wifi are affected most by magnetic events also in my experience. This is especially rewarding awareness considering the propensity for electric systems of private and commercial use i.e. green systems and power infrastructure components which are very independantly shielded and might require a lot of maintenance. Unmentioned, trade and work in developed countries relies on mobile and stationary computer access, as well as soon to be electric lorry and commuter delivery. This globalised e industry will be maintained advanced until the expected magnetic shield shifts into "unproven status" etc.
with fusion reactors and other and more advanced monitoring for maschine learning in industrial and medical applications ie Nanomaschines, science looks like a salad when it comes to consistency and relevancy.

7 hours ago, Orneno said:

That's true, veeeery strong, rare CMEs can post threats to satellites or northerly power grids that aren't adequately prepared.

All of these are circumstantial evidence or theories that haven't been proven, none of that is actual hard science.

That is definitely not true, Earth's magnetic poles have shifted and flipped many times over its history due to the fluctuations in the magnetic lava currents deep inside the earth's core that generate Earth's magnetic field.  The Earth's magnetic field has nothing to do with the solar wind, and is definitely not "breaking it down".  Like I said, it's created in the Earth's core.

Ben Davidson is a proven sensationalist and fearmonger who peddles conspiracy theories and doomsday prophecy.  Why does he do this? To understand anyone, let's look at the underlying motivation.  Ben wants traffic, in the form of likes and subs that translate to real money for him, so of course he wants them, the more the better.  Now, fear is one of the most effective ways to prey on people's emotions and generate attention, along with overblown sensationalism that makes him stand out from the crowd of real scientists.  He knows the effectiveness of these tactics very well, which is why he uses them so heavily. But in reality very little of his claims are actually correct, scientific, or grounded in science. He has been proven wrong many times, and an inspection of his theories using the scientific method will turn up many red flags.
Suspicious0bservers is not a credible source for information, please seek actual science such as material from NOAA or SWPC.

Enjoy your reading and discussion, keep in mind all discussion of heliobiology or Suspicious0bservers must be within the "unproven theories" subforum of the "other" section of these forums, thank you.

Thank you for your reply...

Elon Musk and Quebec (1989) put you in check showing various altitudes, from the atmosphere to ground level, where this planet is indeed impacted due to geomagnetic storms.

Heliobiology, such a fancy word for energy absorption 🙂, what the scientific community has proven or not is irrelevant to me. I've validated the effects to my being via this site and the aforementioned you provided as benchmarks based on space weather events for the past 2 years. Should there be any further commentary by me on this matter I'll adhere to the site rules as you requested.

Speaking of said YouTuber, not that I'm in anyway affiliated, if you are so inclined, in the forum sections you mentioned as viable avenues for such things, I'd love to see where he was proven wrong once or more. I'm an advocate of seeing both sides.

Have a great day...

• Like 1

12 minuten geleden, Lance Borders zei:

Quebec (1989)

that incident has lead to scientific breakthrougs to handle the effects from a severe geomagnetic storm and the geomagnetically induced currents. Plus in 2006 the Earthscope project began sounding our planet's crust to determine the 3D electrical properties of deep rock. It turns out, there are huge variations in conductivity from place to place. The type of rock a city sits on determines how vulnerable it is to geomagnetic storms. Turns out Quebec is more vulnerable to it due to the rock type beneath. You can read the study here: https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1029/2021SW003030

The modern grid is designed to withstand an extreme 1-in-100 year geomagnetic event thanks to all the work that's being done since the Quebec incident as it was a huge wake-up call. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Marcardo said:

...science looks like a salad when it comes to consistency and relevancy.

This is because science is getting new information, updating tests, and not concerned with a narrative or "entertainment" method of communication. If you want a pleasant story, then myth and legend will explain everything for you. 

Heliobiology, such a fancy word for energy absorption 🙂, what the scientific community has proven or not is irrelevant to me.

Heilobiology is just what some people on the forum call it, it is just biology with a focus/interest on solar influence. There is no science called "Heilobiology"

I'm an advocate of seeing both sides.

To what end?

Edited by Archmonoth

16 hours ago, Lance Borders said:

Elon Musk

The recent loss of some StarLink satellites was more of a fluke, for a few reasons: one: the geomagnetic storm was entirely unexpected and un-predicted, this is rare, modern predictions are pretty accurate. Two, the satellites were just launched and in a temporary very low orbit, satellites in operation are at a higher orbit that is not affected by atmospheric drag increases due to CMEs. And so since an outage of satellites that weren’t in service anyway isn’t a huge disruption, there’s not much risk to our society as a whole from this type of incident. The only problem is for the satellite operators losing their expensive equipment. But I reckon they’ll be more careful in the future if there’s any chance of CMEs after launch. It’s also possible that Elon Musk’s operation was not fully aware of the risks from CMEs because they are fairly new to the game, and since they started launching satellites in Solar Minimum they haven’t had much experience dealing with solar activity, but I’m sure they are aware of it now.