CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

Is this a backside full halo CME?

Chris, HB9DFG
Go to solution Solved by Sam Warfel,

Hi everybody

In present LASCO movies a beautiful full halo CME is visible with a later sidesweep pigtail from
another part of the sun (my guess).

Here is my 2-image subtraction from 2022-07-23, 20:18UTC and 21:18UTC:

2022-07-23_CME_2018-2118_bw.thumb.jpg.bdd2e42980014631562998209f8e330c.jpg

Spacewather.com (the always optimistc site) sees a connection from a departing southern filament. Hmmm, really?
When I check the seimic backside monitor: farside
which is crowded with interesting regions right now, I personally don't believe in such a frontside event.

What is your opinion?

Regards, Chris

Hi Chris, this from SWPC 

:Product: Forecast Discussion
:Issued: 2022 Jul 24 0030 UTC
# Prepared by the U.S. Dept. of Commerce, NOAA, Space Weather Prediction Center
#
Solar Activity

.24 hr Summary...

Other activity included an approximate 10 degree filament eruption
centered near S13W33 that began at 23/1840 UTC. An associated CME was
observed off the SW limb at 23/1912 UTC in SOHO/LASCO C2 imagery. At the
same time there was a backsided full halo CME in coronagraph imagery.
Analysis is ongoing at this time

It appears two events occurred at the same time,

Regards,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On twitter i read :

"The Sun today! A filament erupted creating a bright CME with a lot of structure on late July 23.

Seen with combination SOHO/LASCO C2 coronagraph image & SDO 304-angstrom EUV image

CME may be Earth-directed. We await further analysis. 🌞🤩🤔"

I dont get how this could be earth directed in any way? If it was a frontside event it wasnt from center disc right? Maybe a glancing blow?

10 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

On twitter i read :

"The Sun today! A filament erupted creating a bright CME with a lot of structure on late July 23.

Seen with combination SOHO/LASCO C2 coronagraph image & SDO 304-angstrom EUV image

CME may be Earth-directed. We await further analysis. 🌞🤩🤔"

I dont get how this could be earth directed in any way? If it was a frontside event it wasnt from center disc right? Maybe a glancing blow?

People who post are ever hopeful something will be Earth directed aren't they? The filament was centered around S13W33, so not centre disc, a glancing blow perhaps, the associated CME was observed off SW limb. We wait for the data to come in.

N. 

Edited by Newbie

Hello Jen Seits,

Firstly welcome to SWL.

I notice you edited your original post because you believed the CME had been renamed! Is that correct? The first CME was #25.

Infact, another CME was produced close to the same time which was numbered #26. It was this CME that produced a Type IV halo CME. I have checked a number of sites and all agree that #26 was a far sided event and not the Earth facing filament eruption. In addition there have been no reports of Earth side radio bursts since.

It can be confusing when almost simultaneous events occur. Latest data suggest no Earth impact from the filament eruption. 

Regards,

Edited by Newbie

6 minutes ago, Yak said:

how powerful is the CME, and could this mean that we could have some interesting spots on the sun in a week or so?

It was a pretty strong one, I’m hoping the spots that launched it survive to reach the Earthside! They may, or they may just as likely decay before they get here 

6 hours ago, Orneno said:

It was a pretty strong one, I’m hoping the spots that launched it survive to reach the Earthside! They may, or they may just as likely decay before they get here 

Yep!

But the thing is, it couldve been a filament too. We cant know since its backsided.

I think it's slowly time for an activity improvement of the sun the next weeks and months to OUR direction. I was not on the forum the last weeks and enjoyed a little more amateur radio during the sporadic-E season where you can contact stations on VHF up to 3000km and more from your location randomly.

All those near misses of a lot of CMEs and weak M1 flares in the past have become very disappointing and boring meanwhile.

So let's all our fingers and toes crossed for an improvement the next weeks and months! ✌️🤞

Regards, Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

I dont know if you're all interested but the big farside CME likely was a big Filament that was spotted a few days ago that is now gone since the big CME

How can you tell?

23 minutes ago, Yak said:

Sorry im new, what is a filiment.

A long string of plasma like a rope going out of and back into the sun, they are unstable and prone collapsing, which can cause CMEs
https://www.spaceweatherlive.com/en/help/what-is-a-filament.html

Edited by Orneno
Added SWL help page link