Region 3060: Full-Halo CME

Flareguy18

Just after 21/0100 UTC, SWPC/NOAA issued a Type II and Type IV radio alert for an eruption centered around AR3060. It had a C-class flare and associated CME. I first saw it in GOES-16 SUVI, now it is visible in LASCO C3. 

It is a very faint CME, actually is hard to see it because it happens just after a much brighter, far-side CME which is still on the frame as the full-halo occurs. It looked fairly symmetrical in SUVI, but it's very hard to see in LASCO. It might be slightly more dense to the north. SWPC predicts a July 23rd arrival, which could be interesting since we should still be under the influence of the CH HSS.

I'd love to look at it through CACTus, but the links seem to not be working for me right now. If anyone has some nice difference images of it, I'd love to see them!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Wait. So since I haven’t been online as much as I wanted to be on, my question is did a C class solar flare cause a full hale CME?

Affirmative. You are going to basically strain your eyes looking at it though because it's so faint 😂 it was pretty near the sun's equator at center disk.

1 minute ago, SunspotRager93 said:

Aren’t the full hale CME’s extremely rare? 

No I don’t think so. 

3 hours ago, Orneno said:

I hope it gives a decent storm, even though it’s faint! Full-halo CMEs are far too rare these days 😅

If I’m going to be honest, I think this might be my second (or first) full hale CME

5 hours ago, SunspotRager93 said:

Aren’t the full hale CME’s extremely rare? 

Full-halo CMEs are not extremely rare. However, they are the least common because it essentially has to be a CME coming straight from the central disk region. If it's off center even just a bit, it will end up being a partial-halo or less. It all comes down to if the CME is headed squarely at Earth or not.

• Like 1