Storm possibility

Sam Warfel

There was a chance we’d get a CME impact from all those CMEs that launched a few days ago, especially that big one that could have been farside or Earthside. 

I don’t see anything yet, is it possible they’d still come, or is it too late and they all missed us? Personally I suspect the latter

4 hours ago, Marcel de Bont said:

I  am not aware of any CMEs that could arrive at our planet. There was a major one on the 26th but that is far side.

3 hours ago, Orneno said:

I thought it was not able to be fully determined that that one was farside, and additionally some other more minor ones launched around the same time, making it hard to sort out what’s what 

Hello, latest forecast from SWPC.

Screenshot_2022-06-30-11-40-56-2.png

If I was a betting man I would have a dollar each way! LOL 😄

N.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Weird : Noaa says nothing in forecast discussion?

Min, quite interesting :)That's the downside to SDO etc. being offline isn't it? There didn't seem to be any major flaring around that time according to the 7 day graph from GOES X-ray flux. Solarsoft was down like everything else. Wait and see?

Newbie.

Screenshot_2022-07-01-11-29-03-1.png

By the way 10^-6 Watts/m^2  is C class, up to 10^-5.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 1

Tamitha is a great ambassador promoting space weather and is incredibly knowledgeable. I wish I knew even 10% of what she can about space weather. But she does occasionally talks about solar storms in her forecasts which are not earth-directed (if you ask me) or hype very weak CMEs too much. Too much hype sometimes but that is  her style with the news I guess. Otherwise she's great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Marcel de Bont said:

Tamitha is a great ambassador promoting space weather and is incredibly knowledgeable. I wish I knew even 10% of what she can about space weather. But she does occasionally talks about solar storms in her forecasts which are not earth-directed (if you ask me) or hype very weak CMEs too much. Too much hype sometimes but that is  her style with the news I guess. Otherwise she's great.

That’s probably just what she is driven to do to get views and attention, which granted is not all bad, it gives her the platform to spread real science knowledge and combat pseudoscience and fearmongering. 

A solar storm in June or July isn't worth much for high latitude northern hemisphere observers. The Sun keeps the sky bright for long hours, or doesn't let it get dark or even set at all. You would have to be further south actually, meaning it necessitates stronger storms. 

Yup, it's not much good for me.  Also the whole auroral oval is biased towards the Southern Hemisphere in the summer.

Too bad the wind speed isn't higher, this Bz is crazy right now!  With a high speed wind we could have had a G2 or even a G3!  But the actual CME missed us, so no speed increase.  It was a very slow one too after all.

Edited by Orneno

On 6/30/2022 at 8:35 PM, Newbie said:

Min, quite interesting :)That's the downside to SDO etc. being offline isn't it? There didn't seem to be any major flaring around that time according to the 7 day graph from GOES X-ray flux. Solarsoft was down like everything else. Wait and see?

Newbie.

Screenshot_2022-07-01-11-29-03-1.png

By the way 10^-6 Watts/m^2  is C class, up to 10^-5.

Whom ever developed the “DISASTER RECOVERY PLAN” at Stanford for the SDO, etc., should not only be fired and shot, but drawn and quartered as well! 

There have to be multiple receivers around the globe. So the data is still coming in, but it’s not coming out of Stanford (I think that happens to a lot of students there as well..).

it would not be so difficult to have a backup server for image proceedings, handling and distribution- in case the f this type of situation. This is also a pretty minimal cost,solutions. You could go so far as to have a complete failure system, so that if “the system” goes down, it automatically fails over to the redundant system, in about 15 seed - most users won’t even notice the failover!  

Ypumvanmspend as much as you want on disaster recovery and business continuance systems and plans. It’s all about what does it cost the business to be “closed for repairers”?  It would seem they don’t view this system as being of much import!

Thats my $0.02 worth!

WW

Edited by WildWill
  • Like 1