geomagnetic storm g1

I see that too and wondered from what as well! I thought low solar wind speed and density and high imf magnitude and south (negative) field Bz was more of a cme from a flare or filament  of sorts than a coronal hole. 

I see a coronal hole on Swl, but thought that hit 3 days later and be associated with higher wind speeds and densities but lower imf magnitude and field direction.

Also a spontaneous fire popped up near my parents house just today during the cme (-10Bz) near a fault line that had a few earthquakes on it earlier... even they’re wondering what’s going on!

i thought there were a few nuclear tests planned recently.. afraid to ask but wondered how they might pepper our detectors and sensors from space or ground? I thought some were underground and some above. Could a test be perceived as a geomagnetic storm by our sensors? No politics, just curious about the science!

51 minutes ago, Isatsuki San said:

solar wind at more than 600 and proton density at 72 and hemispheric power at 109 is another stealthy cme?

Hola Isatsuki San,

Not sure about another CME, but more likely after effects of first CME or a CIR

It wasn't originally predicted. 

N.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bry said:

Could it be a missed filament on 6/24 from SDO being down for so long? Or flare from earlier?

m

Hi Bry, it seems that the G1 storm was caused by a CIR

They do a great job of rattling Earth's magnetic field.

Newbie :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Where do you find out about co-rotating interaction regions that are predicted to hit us? I never know when they are expected. Wsa-enlil? Surely not kp index forecast?

Also, why is the solar wind speed and density so high? Is that normal for a CIR?

1 hour ago, Bry said:

Where do you find out about co-rotating interaction regions that are predicted to hit us? I never know when they are expected. Wsa-enlil? Surely not kp index forecast?

Also, why is the solar wind speed and density so high? Is that normal for a CIR?

Hi Bry, from my understanding CIR's cannot be predicted but they are suspected when there is no obvious reason for an increase in solar wind metrics. CIR's occur through the interaction between fast and slow moving solar wind, fast catching up to slow, with the resultant bow shockwave  allowing solar particles to interact with Earth's magnetic field, causing a geomagnetic storm. Yesterday there was a negative polarity coronal hole high speed stream of solar wind (CH HSS). Yes, the current density and speed is indicative of the continuing effects of a  CH HSS wheras a filament eruption is less likely to produce such high values. 

CIR's are usually reported after the fact. TBH, I suspected a CIR was the cause of the latest storm rather than an embedded CME because to my knowledge there had been no CME's detected. However because SDO is down it's better to err on the side of caution until you have more complete information. 

SWPC Provide a daily update.

N.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 1