AR3034 - Equatorial sunspot

A new sunspot is turning into view over the East limb, nothing surprising about that.

... However it is smack bang in the middle of the Sun. This is unusual (though not unheard of) in the early stages of a new solar cycle. It has been numbered 3033 by Solarham but SWL has given this number to another area to the North. Maybe it will be 3034.

I don't understand the numbering of Sunspots lately. Very confusing.

Edit: Ok, now officially 3034

Screenshot_2022-06-13-11-39-22-2.png

Edited by Orneno
New Information
  • Like 3

• Newbie changed the title to New Sunspot 3033/3034? - Unusual Location.
19 minutes ago, Orneno said:

An equatorial spot already? Wow!

Now wouldn’t it be cool if it developed, flared right in the middle, and gave us a center-disk CME… 

Hahaha! Always the optimist Orneno. :)

We are all just waiting for the big one aren't we?

24 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Good Catch, Newbie !!

Thanks Min.

Hope it develops due to its location :)

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Orneno said:

An equatorial spot already? Wow!

Now wouldn’t it be cool if it developed, flared right in the middle, and gave us a center-disk CME… 

And we have a nice equatorial coronal hole on centre disk today !

9 hours ago, Newbie said:

A new sunspot is turning into view over the East limb, nothing surprising about that.

... However it is smack bang in the middle of the Sun. This is unusual (though not unheard of) in the early stages of a new solar cycle. It has been numbered 3033 by Solarham but SWL has given this number to another area to the North. Maybe it will be 3034.

I don't understand the numbering of Sunspots lately. Very confusing.

Screenshot_2022-06-13-11-39-22-2.png

Definitely looking like an interesting configuration.

HMI_jun13_12-00UTC.jpg.e08d2fa9e45114d22b361c0c27e203e1.jpg

40 minutes ago, 3gMike said:

And we have a nice equatorial coronal hole on centre disk today !

Definitely looking like an interesting configuration.

HMI_jun13_12-00UTC.jpg.e08d2fa9e45114d22b361c0c27e203e1.jpg

Absolutely!  I was going to post the same pic in the other thread when Min. and I first started talking about the M3 flare earlier today. Initially I wondered if it was this region above that was flaring because the configuration of 3032 didn't strike me as being anything special.

You just can't predict sometimes. 

N.

• Like 1

• Newbie changed the title to New Sunspot 3034 - Unusual Location.

The most of a minute time gap doesn't really negate anything to me. I think it's just chance the thing was imaged at all.

The first reason I'm not discounting it straight off as a sensor/particle glitch is the trail it's leaving behind. It's dispersed and shows a subtle helical pattern around the average trajectory, a pattern consistent with charged matter moving through a magnetic field.

The second is the timing - it appears pretty much just before other recent eventful stuff starts kicking off.

16 hours ago, HalfFeralHuman said:

A few days ago (2022-06-11) I noticed this on AIA 1600 and have been puzzling over whether we're seeing something impacting or something ejected. I'm thinking this seems likely to be connected to this new spot though. Does anyone have any thoughts? Source link under image.

image.thumb.jpeg.7dbd1c9ecbd8e55ac944c242082c3392.jpeg

link to source

Hello HFH,

I looked back through the archives of lmsal 'sun today' website for June 11. Eruptions occurred at 03:37:29 UT and 03:57:29 UT. This pic has timestamp: 03:51:51 UT. The co-ordinates of the eruptions were -874.8, 432.6 and -891.6, 414, respectively, well to the North of what was to be 3034. The co-ordinates of the active region that later became 3034 were -906.61, 8.41 and was first recorded on June 13 at 15:03:58 UT.

There is no record of anything else at that time and location of the image.

Without further information it is impossible to say.

N.

• Thanks 1

I think it looks like Photoshop. If you look closely at where the “thing’s” head is, impacting (?) the sun, you can see the edge of the sun is “notched”. I think that little notch is probably an artifact of Photoshop.

while things like this happen, for it to be right exactly on the limb, as seen from earth coupled with no “aftermath” nor images at any other wavelength, and that little notch in the sun all suggest it’s not real. It is possible that it is an artifact of an electromagnetic aberration within the equipment seems plausible; based on what we see, I would seem that very unlikely.

If the image were real, it would have created quite a buzz at NASA and ESA, etc. They would have made some announcement, regardless for what it is. NASA is like that. 

Photoshop. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it!

WildWill & Dr. Babba O’Riley 

• Dislike 1

On 6/15/2022 at 1:05 PM, WildWill said:

I think it looks like Photoshop. If you look closely at where the “thing’s” head is, impacting (?) the sun, you can see the edge of the sun is “notched”. I think that little notch is probably an artifact of Photoshop.

The source image is linked. It's on NASA.gov.... My upload was cropped with Krita for size reasons, and of course I moved the info bar up so it was still visible, but nothing more than that has been changed (other than anything caused by jpeg compression).

I do kind of object to the idea that I'd just photoshop-fake an image though. That's... actually quite insulting, and what the heck do you think I'd be trying to gain?

On 6/15/2022 at 1:40 AM, MinYoongi said:

What do you think it couldve been @HalfFeralHuman? A comet?

I'm with something possibly comet-like but smaller and very fast moving. I'm not claiming to know what it is, but if I were a betting person I'd put my money on something from the Oort cloud or some rogue object from further that happened to make it through the heliosphere without being totally torn apart. 

I'd be really surprised if it was just a glitch, due to it's shape and trail, but I'd accept the possibility that it's possibly a trick of perspective. 

On 6/15/2022 at 1:21 AM, Newbie said:

I looked back through the archives of lmsal 'sun today' website for June 11. Eruptions occurred at 03:37:29 UT and 03:57:29 UT. This pic has timestamp: 03:51:51 UT. The co-ordinates of the eruptions were -874.8, 432.6 and -891.6, 414, respectively, well to the North of what was to be 3034. The co-ordinates of the active region that later became 3034 were -906.61, 8.41 and was first recorded on June 13 at 15:03:58 UT.

Yeah, I was wondering if possibly it could have been related in quite an indirect way, butterfly wings style.

I also looked for anything else on anything else and couldn't find anything, but then very few instruments are looking at that bandwidth and judging by the look of it we'd need something with very high cadence anyway, so I wasn't going to make any conclusions either way about that.

I agree, all this can bring is speculation, and I'm still entertaining the possibility that it's actually the sun firing outwards rather than something impacting inwards. But... yeah, who knows. I just like to point out these kind of small observations in case trends start to show.

• Sam Warfel changed the title to AR3034 - Equatorial sunspot
2 hours ago, HalfFeralHuman said:

The source image is linked. It's on NASA.gov.... My upload was cropped with Krita for size reasons, and of course I moved the info bar up so it was still visible, but nothing more than that has been changed (other than anything caused by jpeg compression).

I do kind of object to the idea that I'd just photoshop-fake an image though. That's... actually quite insulting, and what the heck do you think I'd be trying to gain?

I'm with something possibly comet-like but smaller and very fast moving. I'm not claiming to know what it is, but if I were a betting person I'd put my money on something from the Oort cloud or some rogue object from further that happened to make it through the heliosphere without being totally torn apart. 

I'd be really surprised if it was just a glitch, due to it's shape and trail, but I'd accept the possibility that it's possibly a trick of perspective. 

First, I didn’t say you did photoshop it. It could have been anyone…

Would you provide me with the link to the image at NASA?

I just find it hard to believe it only shows up on a single emission line for Iron-and only a single frame. Additionally, we don’t see any disturbance on the sun after impact. For something traveling as fast as this appeared to be, I just find that hard to believe.  The impact would have punched a hole into the plasma and then the plasma would rush back in to fill the hole. And exploded into a fountains of plasma!

Then there is that little notch, on the sun, just above the head of the thing… it could have been a bored NASA engineer looking for a few laughs - I don’t know, but I stand by my belief that it’s not real, and probably photoshop… it’s that little notch that makes me think photoshop.

Honestly, I wasn’t really paying attention to who had posted it. I certainly did not mean to imply that you faked it. I really would like to see that link though. 

Min,

im really don’t think it’s an object hitting the sun. We would have heard about it and NASA would be jumping up and down with excitement. I’ll bet ya a dime to a dollar that it ain’t real… Perhaps a glitch. But every frame, from every camera gets reviewed by someone with a MK-1 eyeball. I think they would have picked up on it…

I could go along with a glitch as a possibility. Or a bored NASA engineer… lol.

Aint she purdy today?

WW

Howdy HalfFeralHuman!

why don’t you ask NASA about it? If it is a comet, asteroid or anything real - they will name it after you and it will certainly make for a couple of headlines…

Cheers.

L

Edited by Orneno
Duplicated text
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

9 hours ago, WildWill said:

First, I didn’t say you did photoshop it. It could have been anyone…

Would you provide me with the link to the image at NASA?

I just find it hard to believe it only shows up on a single emission line for Iron-and only a single frame. Additionally, we don’t see any disturbance on the sun after impact. For something traveling as fast as this appeared to be, I just find that hard to believe.  The impact would have punched a hole into the plasma and then the plasma would rush back in to fill the hole. And exploded into a fountains of plasma!

Then there is that little notch, on the sun, just above the head of the thing… it could have been a bored NASA engineer looking for a few laughs - I don’t know, but I stand by my belief that it’s not real, and probably photoshop… it’s that little notch that makes me think photoshop.

Honestly, I wasn’t really paying attention to who had posted it. I certainly did not mean to imply that you faked it. I really would like to see that link though. 

Min,

im really don’t think it’s an object hitting the sun. We would have heard about it and NASA would be jumping up and down with excitement. I’ll bet ya a dime to a dollar that it ain’t real… Perhaps a glitch. But every frame, from every camera gets reviewed by someone with a MK-1 eyeball. I think they would have picked up on it…

I could go along with a glitch as a possibility. Or a bored NASA engineer… lol.

Aint she purdy today?

WW

Howdy HalfFeralHuman!

why don’t you ask NASA about it? If it is a comet, asteroid or anything real - they will name it after you and it will certainly make for a couple of headlines…

Cheers.

L

The link to source was in the original post. Anyway, here it is: https://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/assets/img/browse/2022/06/11/20220611_035151_4096_1600.jpg

• Like 1

Howdy HalfFeralHuman,

Spain, huh? I used to live in Arturo Soria (Madrid) and for a few months Bilbao. I really miss the food, and the people.

I wasn’t suggesting that you were the culprit. I didn’t even know it was you who posted the original. That’s just what it looks like to me. I think if it was real, nasa or esa would have spotted it.  Worth investigating.

Thank you for the link. It’s peaked my interest. Sorry you feel like I offended you, My post was not meant that way. 

WW

• Like 1
  • Cool 1