Reversed Polarity Sunspot

3gMike

6 hours ago, 3gMike said:

I just noticed this reversed polarity Beta spot in the southern hemisphere. How unusual is an event like this at this stage of the cycle?

Very unusual I would think. I did a quick search of the forums/a here at SWL and found nothing about reverse polarity sunspots this early into a new cycle.  

As you would know these sunspots may appear just after solar max. relating to the next SC.

It is probably an outlier, a random event, rather than a relic from SC 24 or a harbinger to SC 26.

What do you think?

I get the feelig that SC 25 is not going to be a normal cycle though.

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 3gMike said:

I just noticed this reversed polarity Beta spot in the southern hemisphere. How unusual is an event like this at this stage of the cycle?

Is this 3027? The negative spot (blue) does look like its leading, but they (pos/neg) are close in size, so I'm not sure. 

3027.png.74a7202f4342b65bbc3ab2fd1007f82b.png

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Archmonoth said:

Is this 3027? The negative spot (blue) does look like its leading, but they (pos/neg) are close in size, so I'm not sure. 

3027.png.74a7202f4342b65bbc3ab2fd1007f82b.png

Im not too sure what youre trying to say?

My question still : would this make it a sc24 region? If yes, we had 2-3 really small ones from time to time. (1 last month)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

is that a sc24 spot?

I think that is unlikely since it is in the normal range of latitude for the current cycle. Old cycle spots would be expected nearer  the equator.

Looking at the synoptic map the region is associated with a small area of positive field totally surrounded by negative field. On that basis I suspect it is unlikely to grow very much.

synoptic-map_jun01_14-16_red.jpg.7593fdb39d870ae8d40e78de8584680d.jpg

• Like 1

Sam Warfel
This post was recognized by Sam Warfel!

"Thanks for linking that article!"

Calder was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 30 points.

On 6/1/2022 at 1:50 PM, 3gMike said:

latest_4096_HMIBC_220601.jpg.8ada51d2c72b2736025bbb0555721d0a.jpg

This is indeed an anti-Hale region. They can happen at any point in the solar cycle. According to Wikipedia, “The estimated relative number of anti-hale regions varies from 2 to 9%, due to how often anti-Hale regions are misidentified.”

Although, I’m not sure if the frequency changes as the cycle progresses. I couldn’t find anything regarding this.

Edit: According to a thesis paper I just read, the percentage of anti-Hale regions stays consistent over time except near the end of each cycle. This is due to increased activity near the equator which causes misidentification.

https://eprints.usq.edu.au/32827/1/McClintock_2016_whole.pdf

Edited by Calder
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Im not too sure what youre trying to say?

My question still : would this make it a sc24 region? If yes, we had 2-3 really small ones from time to time. (1 last month)

I was guessing at the image compared to current sunspots. The orientation looked familiar and turns out AR 3027 was the spot in question. So, I posted a screenshot/image of it. I was just trying to narrow down what spot/time 3gmike was talking about.  

4 hours ago, 3gMike said:

Looking at the synoptic map the region is associated with a small area of positive field totally surrounded by negative field. On that basis I suspect it is unlikely to grow very much.

Still a cool find 3gmike!

13 hours ago, Newbie said:

Were you wondering if it might be two separate regions?

To me, it looks like reverse polarity. 

I was uncertain that the negative was leading, but it appears that way to me, and I wasn't sure exactly what spot/time 3gmike was talking about. I was trying to clarify on what everyone was referring to. 

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 2

Well, I was wrong! No spots on that incoming region on the south east limb today… just trying to be optimistic! To a real greenhorn like me, it really looks to be a tryin’!

I ran across this from 5/31 AR3025 (CloudyNights) this morning:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/826308-animation-of-filaprom-and-activity-around-ar3025-5312022/#entry11932256

Blue Skies & Clear Nights!

8 hours ago, Calder said:

This is indeed an anti-Hale region. They can happen at any point in the solar cycle. According to Wikipedia, “The estimated relative number of anti-hale regions varies from 2 to 9%, due to how often anti-Hale regions are misidentified.”

Although, I’m not sure if the frequency changes as the cycle progresses. I couldn’t find anything regarding this.

Edit: According to a thesis paper I just read, the percentage of anti-Hale regions stays consistent over time except near the end of each cycle. This is due to increased activity near the equator which causes misidentification.

https://eprints.usq.edu.au/32827/1/McClintock_2016_whole.pdf

Hello Calder: That is an excellent paper, well worth a read.

Thanks for adding it to your post.