M Class Flare from Plage Area?

MinYoongi

13 minutes ago, mozy said:

We're getting M-class flares from plage areas but our big region with multiple deltas can't even produce one 😆

Looks eruptive aswell

Its in the strike zone so a bit could be earth directed, right? and also : Yeah, thats quite the irony :D !!!

We got a Type IV radio emission, but i dont see type 2. What does that mean?

1 minute ago, mozy said:

It could be somewhat earth directed indeed

Don't really know the difference between them either.

For me it's just radio emission = CME 😅

Is it in a good position for an Earth Directed CME

I'd say its a tad bit west but a glancing blow should be 100% possible at last.

I dont see anything in Stereo yet

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Is it in a good position for an Earth Directed CME

I'd say its a tad bit west but a glancing blow should be 100% possible at last.

I dont see anything in Stereo yet

Most likely a glancing blow at most

Very interesting this came from a spotless (and maybe even plage-less) region!

It does seem eruptive, can’t wait for LASCO

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

update : CME visible in Stereo, so there def. is one! 

20220525_185354_d7c2A.jpg

And now we wait for LASCO

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Very interesting this came from a spotless (and maybe even plage-less) region!

It does seem eruptive, can’t wait for LASCO

And now we wait for LASCO

The good Old Lasco waiting game.. its teaching me patience.. :D !

According to Noaa's Forecast Discussion from 14UTC it decayed from an Alpha spot to plage, so thats why i chose the title

5 minutes ago, mozy said:

Most likely a glancing blow at most

Keep me updated 🤗

20220525_190905_n7c2A.jpg

@Orneno 👀 !! But they always look brighter in stereo..

5 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Hard to say much at all with only STEREO

Jup! Only thing it can confirm is that a CME is produced.

994 KM/s. This is only the Shockwave in front of the CME so the CME itself will be a little bit slower, but that does sound good, right? @mozy :) 
Also new imagery
20220525_195354_d7c2A.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

I sadly cant access the link, can you explain what you mean?

Oh well, it was a screen shot (uploaded 189kb picture) of a filament (maybe not the right term, it looks like a ribbon) emerging and spreading out from the bottom right corner of the picture. I won't try and upload again, but I found it on this soho link: SOHO Solar images | Solar activity | SpaceWeatherLive.com says 19:12 as the time. 2022/05/25

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Archmonoth said:

Oh well, it was a screen shot (uploaded 189kb picture) of a filament (maybe not the right term, it looks like a ribbon) emerging and spreading out from the bottom right corner of the picture. I won't try and upload again, but I found it on this soho link: SOHO Solar images | Solar activity | SpaceWeatherLive.com says 19:12 as the time. 2022/05/25

You are right Archmonoth, it has been reported that the M1 flare was produced by a filament snaking through the remains of old active region 3016.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

The CME actually is Earth directed full halo, the bulk just goes southwest.

Nasa enlil suggests a full miss.

1 hour ago, Jesterface23 said:

The CME actually is Earth directed full halo, the bulk just goes southwest.

So you think a glancing blow? With 990km/s shock speed i dont think it will be that fast.. (the shock is always faster than the cme) 

6 hours ago, Archmonoth said:

Archmonoth, just something which you most likely already know: to reduce the file size of screen shots I often need to crop and save them a couple of times, until they are under the SWL limit.

Newbie :)

• Like 2

On 5/26/2022 at 4:51 AM, MinYoongi said:

We got a Type IV radio emission, but i dont see type 2. What does that mean?

Hello Min, we actually had a Type II emission from this flare. :)

Below are the main types of radio emissions from the Sun, although there are sub groups within these categories. They differ by their emission mechanisms, in other words how the emission is produced. (Can be be quite involved) 

Type I: short radio emissions that occur in large numbers associated with a continuous emission and can last hours to days.

Type II: strong radio emissions with frequency shift from high to low values which last minutes.They are usually associated with CME's and are produced at the leading edge of the CME where shock waves accelerate the electrons responsible for plasma emission. 

Type III: strong radio emissions with short duration and frequency shift from high to low values, which last seconds.

Type IV: continuous radio emission which can last from hours to days.These emissions arise from fast moving electrons trapped within magnetic fields of an erupting CME.

Type V: continuous radio emission which is  associated with type III, recorded in frequencies lower than 100 MHz and which last 1-2 minutes.  These are quite rare.

After the sun has produced a solar flare, and the x-ray flux has taken a long time to return to background flux levels (ie a long duration flare), it's a good chance, there is an associated CME. If Type II, or Type II and Type IV radio bursts (which often follow after Type II) are detected this is a good indication that a CME has been launched.

Type II and Type IV radio bursts are usually associated with CME's and that is why they are quickly reported once a solar flare has occurred. Type IV tend to be produced from bigger eruptions.

If you need more information wiki Solar radio emission. 

Newbie :)

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...