Anyone notice the object pulled into the sun from the south on the LASCO C2 and C3? Date/Time: 05/19/2022 Starts approximately 19:00

Chuck Reichel

I was going to attach screenshots and files but somehow wasn't able to. Hopefully the data is still there for everyone to see and hopefully some other cameras caught it too other than these two. I didn't really look much and just seen it. It sure seems quite large and to be moving fast there in what might be the end of its life. But I thought this could be something of interest with the "increase" of space rocks showing up over the past few years and everything else going on.

• Like 2

I figured that's what it was but didn't see much of anything online about it. It also looks as it may have even caused that small CME if you follow the path of it closely enough and just like when other comets and objects impact or pass near the sun.

1 hour ago, Onearmedpatriot said:

I was just wondering if anyone noticed an impact on the sun from the comet and is there a possibility that the comet was only passing by, behind the sun?

Hello Onearmedpatriot,

Considering that comets are made up of frozen gases, rocks and dust and that the temperature of the Sun's corona (atmosphere) is millions of degrees it is improbable this comet survived. Looking at the imagery it appears to be on a collision course with the sun. 

At some point the comet would have been vapourised.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 11:54 PM, Onearmedpatriot said:

I was just wondering if anyone noticed an impact on the sun from the comet and is there a possibility that the comet was only passing by, behind the sun?

The more I look into it, it kinda doesn't look like it got destroyed and may have actually survived. It looks like it made a sharp left turn after passing really close to the top right of the sun. And that is definitely understandable and possible too. But I still can't get files to upload for some reason or I'd post what I mean with the flyby.

2 hours ago, Chuck Reichel said:

The more I look into it, it kinda doesn't look like it got destroyed and may have actually survived. It looks like it made a sharp left turn after passing really close to the top right of the sun. And that is definitely understandable and possible too. But I still can't get files to upload for some reason or I'd post what I mean with the flyby.

Hello Chuck: I would be interested to see the files that you have. All I have seen is the pic posted earlier in this thread. Perhaps you are able to shed light on how close this comet actually came to the sun.

From the pic I saw there doesn't appear to be a tail emanating from comet. To my knowledge there have been no reports or information concerning this comet and this leads me to believe it perished.

I have copied and pasted this article about sungrazing planets which I found interesting. 

"Sungrazing comets are a special class of comets that come very close to the sun at their nearest approach, a point called perihelion. To be considered a sungrazer, a comet needs to get within about 850,000 miles from the sun at perihelion. Many come even closer, even to within a few thousand miles.

Being so close to the sun is very hard on comets for many reasons. They are subjected to a lot of solar radiation which boils off their water or other volatiles. The physical push of the radiation and the solar wind also helps form the tails. And as they get closer to the sun, the comets experience extremely strong tidal forces, or gravitational stress. In this hostile environment, many sungrazers do not survive their trip around the sun. Although they don't actually crash into the solar surface, the sun is able to destroy them anyway.

Many sungrazing comets follow a similar orbit, called the Kreutz Path, and collectively belong to a population called the Kreutz Group. In fact, close to 85% of the sungrazers seen by the SOHO satellite are on this orbital highway. Scientists think one extremely large sungrazing comet broke up hundreds, or even thousands, of years ago, and the current comets on the Kreutz Path are the leftover fragments of it. As clumps of remnants make their way back around the sun, we experience a sharp increase in sungrazing comets, which appears to be going on now. Comet Lovejoy, which reached perihelion on December 15, 2011 is the best known recent Kreutz-group sungrazer. And so far, it is the only one that NASA's solar-observing fleet has seen survive its trip around the sun.

Comet ISON, an upcoming sungrazer with a perihelion of 730,000 miles on November 28, 2013, is not on the Kreutz Path. In fact, ISON's orbit suggests that it may gain enough momentum to escape the solar system entirely, and never return. Before it does so, it will pass within about 40 million miles from Earth on December 26th. Assuming it survives its trip around the sun."

Source NASA/Goddard Space flight centre first published July 16 2013, updated Sept. 6 2018

Regards, Newbie

• Like 2

On 5/25/2022 at 8:00 PM, Newbie said:

Hello Chuck: I would be interested to see the files that you have. All I have seen is the pic posted earlier in this thread. Perhaps you are able to shed light on how close this comet actually came to the sun.

Hi, sorry for the delayed response. All I meant by "files" are the same ones anyone can download and edit. I'm probably trying to upload something too big or something that can't be converted or who knows. But all I did was take the two LASCO views, slowed them frame by frame, then enhanced this and that to bring out the "object" as much as possible, then to try and project a course of it and so forth. It looked like it may have ended its life at or close to the sun but if you see after some editing, you'll be second guessing. I did ask a few "NASA" people and even sent emails to that sungrazer project place but they seem to be not aware of much which I think is somewhat strange. One: because of its potential origin. And two: well I suppose an open mind can lead you anywhere...But these things that don't get attention and that get pushed aside make me more interested I guess. 

40 minutes ago, Chuck Reichel said:

Thanks for your reply Chuck, I enjoyed the conversation. 

It's good to have an open and questioning mind.

My feeling is that were it anything significant, it would have been widely reported. 

Newbie :)

• Like 1