CMEs and geomagnetic storming ×

Solar binoculars questions.

Caldaeon

I bought a pair of solar binoculars for the solar eclipse and have used them for checking out sunspots. I have been excited to observe this solar cycle.

If I were to witness a x class solar flare while using them.

1. would i possibly see a brightening of the sun spot? (assuming it flares over the darkened area)

2. any extra concern for eye health?

3. anything I missed that you want to add

Thanks in advance!

37 minuten geleden, Caldaeon zei:

1. would i possibly see a brightening of the sun spot? (assuming it flares over the darkened area)

No, you won't see it get brighter. You can only observe it in h-alpha (which is below the visible spectrum). But there is an exception, a so called white light flare can happen but is extremely rare and is only seen during extreme solar flares. An example of a white light flare is the Carrington event

40 minuten geleden, Caldaeon zei:

2. any extra concern for eye health?

If the binoculars are professional grade, than the solar filter is safe for the eye as 99,99% of the visible light is filtered out. Just look out that you only take the binoculars away from the eye when you're not looking at the Sun because that would harm your eyes badly.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

No, you won't see it get brighter. You can only observe it in h-alpha (which is below the visible spectrum). But there is an exception, a so called white light flare can happen but is extremely rare and is only seen during extreme solar flares. An example of a white light flare is the Carrington event

So if i see something giggle and say "hehe i'm in danger" check

57 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

If the binoculars are professional grade, than the solar filter is safe for the eye as 99,99% of the visible light is filtered out. Just look out that you only take the binoculars away from the eye when you're not looking at the Sun because that would harm your eyes badly.

They are professional grade, and i will use extra caution. :) thanks for the answers!