Fast and dense CME arrives early!

Cmags

I noticed the Schumann Resonance spiked in amplitude to 72 last night, at the same time that the first dance wave of solar plasma hit earth -- at 22:59
UTC on 5/5/2022, solar plasma density registered at 17.94 p/cm^3. in my next response, I'll I attached a screen shot from a the Geospace Magnetosphere movie that I saved from last night showing the wave. As I showed in the first post, even more dense and fast solar plasma reached us throughout the night. The Schumann Resonance continues to remain elevated; so far it has peaked in amplitude to 86. In my follow up post, I'll also include a VLF spectrograph from the Laurentian University Radio Observatory. Their equipment picked up the activity! My thoughts is that this shows a causation of the solar plasma producing large disruptions throughout the ionosphere -- not enough to spark a geomagnetic storm, but enough to cause some disturbances in the ELF and VLF ranges. Forgive me if I am misunderstanding any of this, but I wonder if this is more causation than correlation? Thank you for any and all feedback.

IMG_8061.JPG

IMG_8059.JPG

Just now, Cmags said:

in my next response, I'll I attached a screen shot from a the Geospace Magnetosphere movie that I saved from last night showing the wave ... I'll also include a VLF spectrograph from the Laurentian University Radio Observatory. Their equipment picked up the activity!

IMG_8060.jpg

IMG_8048.JPG

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, Orneno said:

It wasn’t raised, it’s a data glitch that is known to happen with ACE

thank you for responding. If you have a moment, will you look at the Geospace Magnetosphere movies and VLF spectrograph that I shared above? Is the first source driven by data from ACE, and as such, is that why it shows the activity in the magnetosphere? The second source is independently run from Laurentian University Radio Observatory (Canada) and also shows an increase in activity within the ionosphere. There was also a large Schumann resonance spike (amplitude 86). So if the ACE data shows a glitch, but both the Tomsk observatory (source of the SR data) and the radio Observatory from Canada picked up activity in the ionosphere, then something else may have occurred last night? I initially wondered if a dense solar plasma wave caused the registered activity in the ionosphere because if you look at the time stamps, all events occurs around 23 UTC. Thank you again for addressing my questions -- I am just trying to learn as much about this subject as I can as I find it all incredibly fascinating. 

Edited by Cmags
  • Like 1

Invalid data can make its way into model runs.

When ACE started having issues the solar wind data you saw switched to DSCOVR. At the same time DSCOVR was having issues with its solar wind data, and about 7 hours later the data switched back to ACE.

I don't know about the other non-modeled data though.