Sunspot this down/up/somewhere on the sun?

Go to solution Solved by Sam Warfel,

Just now, mozy said:

Isn't that just a flipped image lol

I don't think so: 

ANOTHER SUNSPOT IS APPROACHING: A new and potentially active sunspot group is hiding just behind the sun's southeastern limb. NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory photographed plumes of debris thrown up by a partially eclipsed solar flare on May 5th:

overtheedge_strip.jpg

The source of the explosion will reveal itself this weekend when it rotates over the sun's horizon, turning toward Earth. Stay tuned.

Spaceweather.com may be drunk. I have no idea. 

I am so confused, words can't describe that. 

1 minute ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

I don't think so: 

Spaceweather.com may be drunk. I have no idea. 

I am so confused, words can't describe that. 

“Southeastern”, that’s the bottom half. The image is flipped. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Ok, but still... Why so low???

And is that even possible?

Ehm, what?

I think you need sleep or smth lol, the image is just flipped/rotated, the region is at a normal position, nothing unusual..

Edited by mozy

• Solution
2 minutes ago, mozy said:

Ehm, what?

I think you need sleep or smth lol, the image is just flipped, the region is at a normal position, nothing unusual..

It’s actually rotated 90 degrees 

Actual full image:

C8507B19-3944-4EEB-AB75-E2BB6701EBD3.jpeg

How spaceweather.com showed it: (don’t ask me why they did that)

B1163840-0774-4896-84F8-B6590612B674.jpeg.9e81a64f7c37409145770eb9fb6c0cdc.jpeg

Edited by Orneno

Just now, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Alright well now I know not to trust spaceweather.com with anything. 

They're also mentioning that multiple overlapping CME's got sent out these past few days from the flares when almost all of them have been impulsive & not produced CME's.

Just now, mozy said:

They're also mentioning that multiple overlapping CME's got sent out these past few days from the flares when almost all of them have been impulsive & not produced CME's.

Yeah, it's hard to even believe anything they say. 

By the way, could this be the region we are talking about in the other thread? (whatever you call it)

9 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Yeah, it's hard to even believe anything they say. 

By the way, could this be the region we are talking about in the other thread? (whatever you call it)

It is that one yes.

4 hours ago, mozy said:

Actually, a few days ago there were quite a number of CMEs, I think that’s what they mean. All of them were very weak or not at all earth-directed, so we didn’t bother to discuss them here. Spaceweather.com exaggerates to get clicks, they said this one might hit when it won’t. However, they were correct in saying there was a lot of activity, it just wasn’t as Earth-directed as spaceweather.com says. 

2 hours ago, Orneno said:

Actually, a few days ago there were quite a number of CMEs, I think that’s what they mean. All of them were very weak or not at all earth-directed, so we didn’t bother to discuss them here. Spaceweather.com exaggerates to get clicks, they said this one might hit when it won’t. However, they were correct in saying there was a lot of activity, it just wasn’t as Earth-directed as spaceweather.com says. 

When? Were they likely caused by that sunspot (i know that we can only guess)

9 hours ago, Orneno said:

Well, I don't like their writing at all, you could barely even see the activity on SOHO LASCO, that's how small they were, they make it sound like the sunspots were producing big CME's left and right while it was mostly quiet all over the sun during the period, watching back a few days you definitely wouldn't call that a lot of activity, since the 3rd, there's like 3 noticeable CME's and they were all limb / farside eruptions lol.

They sure do exaggerate yes.

Edited by mozy