AR2999?

Jack

It’s good to see the start of this bright spot roll around the corner to reveal its first Sun Spot. It will be interesting to see how this region progresses as it rolls around.

This is the returning area of AR2978 and AR2981 which did hold a Beta-Gamma complexity during its last rotation. We can never be certain that these are exactly the same Sun Spots of course but, hopefully this “AREA” has seen some growth and complexity in its visit over the far side.

Something to keep an eye on for now 👁 It’s always a tough question as to whether or not it will be mostly facula or Sun Spots but, this isn’t a bad start so far. Let’s see how it develops.

7FF23DFE-1D29-4FE3-A27A-48A55996C26D.jpeg

Edited by Jack
  • Cool 1

31 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Isnt it a new region? 

I think you missed the next sentence

We can never be certain that these are exactly the same Sun Spots of course but, hopefully this “AREA” has seen some growth and complexity in its visit over the far side.

They always have to be presumed as new regions until we have Sun Spot imagery that confirms otherwise on the far side, regardless of whether it’s the same bright hot region.

If we’re being realistic, it doesn’t really matter what the area consisted of in its last rotation, the ‘now’ is what is relevant and so far there it is…

Edited by Jack

2 hours ago, noplasma said:

Wasn’t it numbered 2998 ?

No that’s already been catalogued for another Sun spot region irrespective of the older synoptic map which did not add the spot for which 2998 was given.

There is also another in the central disc (also not in the older synoptic map) that has appeared which might receive 2999 before this one, which could make this 3000.

But, really none of that is all that important being egg beating semantics 👍

32 minutes ago, Strom said:

Could the small spot be the start of a delta?  image.png.29620c8625938eddd137f6852caa8c3c.png

Good pick up mate 👍 but, hard to tell.

I couldn’t, with any level of certainty answer that question based upon its current positional view.

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

When would be a better time? Its too foreshortened right now, I agree with you. 

I don’t know about everyone else but, I find it really difficult to determine ‘small’ delta spots 2-3 days either side of the limb with certainty. I’ve been right and wrong in my thoughts on this many a time 😆 🤷‍♂️
I’m sure others might be able to do so but, I just wouldn’t put it out there until I saw suspecting spots combine with an increase in activity.

Edited by Jack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

You guys can use this to possibly answer your questions. It's pretty dang accurate: https://www.raben.com/maps/date/ 

The problem is that they do not identify the region we are talking about ! I also have my doubts about some of their data. If you go to this page https://www.raben.com/maps/ which shows both earthside and farside regions it appears to identify the magnetic configuration of all regions as Alpha

• Haha 1

Just now, 3gMike said:

The problem is that they do not identify the region we are talking about ! I also have my doubts about some of their data. If you go to this page https://www.raben.com/maps/ which shows both earthside and farside regions it appears to identify the magnetic configuration of all regions as Alpha

Yeah, I was noticing that- They also update inconsistently. Like every two days or something. I found this a week ago, thought this was great but now realizing it's not even close to good. Lol my bad

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Yeah, I was noticing that- They also update inconsistently. Like every two days or something. I found this a week ago, thought this was great but now realizing it's not even close to good. Lol my bad

I hate when things do that; you think you found something great, and then a few days later turns out to be crappy-crap-crap...

It happens to everybody, don't feel bad.

*pats shoulder*

15 minutes ago, Jennifer Closen said:

I hate when things do that; you think you found something great, and then a few days later turns out to be crappy-crap-crap...

Well the website isn’t crap at all. It’s pretty good to be honest. It’s just that they say every sunspot is a alpha or beta when they aren’t.

And the fact that their site is updated inconsistent