Are we entering a Grand Solar Minimum (GSM)?

Quilloz

I noticed an influx of people on the internet (not just YouTube) mention that we're about to enter a GSM similar to the Maunder Minimum from the 1600s. Does this have any kernel of truth, or is this a byproduct of the whole "The sun is the reason Earth's climate changes" hypothesis that is popular with the YouTube solar community? 

So this one's new to me, but looking into it briefly I picked up that the Maunder Minimum was apparently preceeded by unusually long solar cycles. This cycle appears to be developing faster (or stronger, hard to tell) than predicted, but certainly not slower than expected.

2 hours ago, Quilloz said:

I noticed an influx of people on the internet (not just YouTube) mention that we're about to enter a GSM similar to the Maunder Minimum from the 1600s. Does this have any kernel of truth, or is this a byproduct of the whole "The sun is the reason Earth's climate changes" hypothesis that is popular with the YouTube solar community? 

It’s unsure yet whether SC25 will be stronger than SC24 as it was previously predicted to be, but it is stronger than expected, it’s pretty safe to say we have avoided the Grand Solar Minimum some people were predicting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Orneno said:

Probably not even like a Dalton, it seems to be stronger than that. 

What do you mean? 

I watched Dr.Tamitha Skov's stream yesterday and she thinks it wont be an exaggerating strong cycle like 19 or something, but stronger than the official prediction.

2 hours ago, Catchmenova said:

This is a very interesting prediction on SC25 based on observed data that I believe has a sound foundation, see link below:

http://spaceref.com/space-weather-2/new-sunspot-cycle-could-be-one-of-the-strongest-on-record-new-research-predicts.html 

That article was written in December 2020 and predicted a maximum of 210 - 260 sunspots. A more recent article, published in February 2022 claims that the terminator occurred in Dec 2021, and on that basis predicts a maximum of 170 - 210 sunspots. https://spaceweatherarchive.com/2022/02/25/the-termination-event-has-arrived/

In the end it is nothing more than a prediction, and it remains to be seen what will actually happen.

Thanks for the update 3GMike...

he did mention:

“We have finalized our forecast of SC25’s amplitude,” says McIntosh. “It will be just above the historical average with a monthly smoothed sunspot number of 190 ± 20.”

so it seems like waiting and seeing is like predictions, smile