When does solar maximum truly occur?

Sammyy

I've been reading a little about solar acitvity for the past 12 months. On different sites here & there. I often read articles mentioning solar maximum is expected between 2024 and 2026 for this solar cycle. Which is about 5 years into a commonly 11 year long cycle.

But if one looks at the graphs on this website for the solarcycles. Many times the maximum is reached around 3 years into the cycle. Then the maximum almost continues for a few years and then dips. So I don't see why solar maximum wouldn't be around 2023?

Mathematically speaking, when looking at SC21 & 22, it occurred around 3 years. That is to say a global maximum in the cycle.

Anyone have any insight?

28 minutes ago, Sammyy said:

I've been reading a little about solar acitvity for the past 12 months. On different sites here & there. I often read articles mentioning solar maximum is expected between 2024 and 2026 for this solar cycle. Which is about 5 years into a commonly 11 year long cycle.

But if one looks at the graphs on this website for the solarcycles. Many times the maximum is reached around 3 years into the cycle. Then the maximum almost continues for a few years and then dips. So I don't see why solar maximum wouldn't be around 2023?

Mathematically speaking, when looking at SC21 & 22, it occurred around 3 years. That is to say a global maximum in the cycle.

Anyone have any insight?

Just now, Orneno said:

Sometimes Cycles double peak. Like in 2012 & 2014. Sometimes one of the hemispheres is faster. I dont think were far enough into the cycle to constantly talk about "the overachiever" for everything

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Sometimes Cycles double peak. Like in 2012 & 2014. Sometimes one of the hemispheres is faster. I dont think were far enough into the cycle to constantly talk about "the overachiever" for everything

Yeah I thought they were a bit early with the "overachiever" headlines

Im even more curious now to see how it actually turns out. But that will probably take at least a few years to find out

From what I can see many cycles have these "double peaks". Which is also quite interesting.