How Downward Bz Energizes The Earth's Magnetosphere

Drax Spacex
Go to solution Solved by Drax Spacex,

A mechanical analogy, a model, a visual tool.  The spiral plunger is analogous to Bz.  Pushing down on the plunger is like negative Bz which makes a connection at the pole and transfers energy (though mechanical not magnetic) to the globe.  Pulling up on the plunger like as a positive Bz makes no connection at the pole and no energy is transferred.  A toy model and memory aid that negative Bz is needed to create the connection and energy transfer to spark aurora and geomagnetic storms.

Edited by Drax Spacex

On 4/11/2022 at 11:13 AM, Drax Spacex said:

A mechanical analogy, a model, a visual tool.  The spiral plunger is analogous to Bz.  Pushing down on the plunger is like negative Bz which makes a connection at the pole and transfers energy (though mechanical not magnetic) to the globe.  Pulling up on the plunger like as a positive Bz makes no connection at the pole and no energy is transferred.  A toy model and memory aid that negative Bz is needed to create the connection and energy transfer to spark aurora and geomagnetic storms.

In the model the downward push is turning/transforming into kinetic energy, akin to the Earth increasing its spin. I think a lot of the energy from the Sun is delivered to the poles and is reflected from the artic/Antarctic ice, or deflected off the magnetic sphere.

Perhaps put metallic streamers on your top-model and the light reflected from the streamers would be analogous to the Bz.

This is just my impression of it, but I understand what you are saying. 

Edited by Archmonoth
  • Like 1