Solar Eclipse in April 2024

AMFinland
Go to solution Solved by Solarflaretracker200,

Would the prominences and solar flares on the sun's corona be visible during a solar eclipse for a camera to see? Additionally, if they aren't, would I use an H-Alpha filter on my camera to see them with that? Obviously not going to look through the camera viewfinder, gonna do this safely.

Edited by AMFinland
typo on year

• AMFinland changed the title to Solar Eclipse in April 2024
  • Solution
13 hours ago, AMFinland said:

Would the prominences and solar flares on the sun's corona be visible during a solar eclipse for a camera to see?

Well if in 2024 there were big solar flares and some epic prominences happening, then yes, you would be able to see that. But no one can say "Yes in 2024 you will see it because there is going to be 15 solar flares on the day of whatever day that happens" 

Sorry if that sounds snappy. I am not trying to be lol. 

3 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Well if in 2024 there were big solar flares and some epic prominences happening, then yes, you would be able to see that. But no one can say "Yes in 2024 you will see it because there is going to be 15 solar flares on the day of whatever day that happens" 

Sorry if that sounds snappy. I am not trying to be lol. 

Oh, no I didn't mean to assume it will happen; I hope it will, but I am aware it might not. Just making sure it is something I can prep for should it happen. 😁

1 minute ago, AMFinland said:

Oh, no I didn't mean to assume it will happen;

Oh, yeah, I know you didn't mean to assume. I think I sounded too snappy even though I didn't mean to 🤣

3 minutes ago, AMFinland said:

Just making sure it is something I can prep for should it happen. 😁

But yes, all the things you mentioned, you may want to do because there is a very good chance that in 2024 there will be some nice solar flares and prominences.

• Like 1

13 minuten geleden, Orneno zei:

So basically, yes, but only if they happen to be there to see at that specific day. Cross your fingers

When you have a h-alpha telescope you’ll always see filaments. In 2024 the solar activity will be also higher than we see now so enough to see prominences 😉

15 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

When you have a h-alpha telescope you’ll always see filaments. In 2024 the solar activity will be also higher than we see now so enough to see prominences 😉

If there happened to be a bright CME launched at the exact right time, would it be theoretically possible to see it with the naked eye during an eclipse? Like how LASCO sees it? (But with a smaller occluding disk ofc)

I love that this thread took off. :)

I'll have a 600mm Tamron telephoto lens for this occasion. Paired with a Nikon D5600. I am excited that the prominences and corona will be visible if this all works out. Especially considering 2024 will be in near fully flared up SC25 (pun intended. :D

Prominences are only visible during totality and during totality you can comfortably look with the naked eye. So you have maybe 3 minutes to get the job done. However, be ready for the end of totality, be ready for the sudden increase in brightness, and ready to capture the diamond ring effect if you can.

1 hour ago, Orneno said:

I did just that during the 2017 eclipse: 

ED1C113C-4328-4881-BFED-045332BEE528.png

Wow!  I've only seen one total eclipse but I was young and didn't know what to look for. I was more interested in what was happening on the ground, the sudden quiet, sudden coolness, birds heading to roost. I no more than glanced at the sun, having no idea it was interesting. Hahaha.

37 minutes ago, KW2P said:

was more interested in what was happening on the ground, the sudden quiet, sudden coolness, birds heading to roost.

I have never seen a total solar eclipse. As far as I remember, I have only seen one and that was the 2017 solar eclipse, and sadly I wasn't in the path of totality. 

The next eclipse though, I won't be able to see at all. But what I may do is travel to see it or something. Here is the map: The 2024 total eclipse path through North America

But dang in 2023, I will be able to see that one.

image.png.287ed598ce9442bb9310f80e22508782.png

almost total- wtf

Well its annular sooo nvm 

2 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

Did you get a full eclipse? 

Yup, was near Carbondale IL, the point of maximum duration of totality. 

2 hours ago, KW2P said:

Wow!  I've only seen one total eclipse but I was young and didn't know what to look for. I was more interested in what was happening on the ground, the sudden quiet, sudden coolness, birds heading to roost. I no more than glanced at the sun, having no idea it was interesting. Hahaha.

The sun is the best part 😂

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

2 hours ago, Orneno said:

Yup, was near Carbondale IL, the point of maximum duration of totality. 

The sun is the best part 😂

You had better luck than The Weather Channel crew.  They were also in Carbondale, but during totality the Sun was behind large gray clouds and contrails from eclipse-chasing aircraft.  Ohhhhhh, they were upset!

7 hours ago, Drax Spacex said:

You had better luck than The Weather Channel crew.  They were also in Carbondale, but during totality the Sun was behind large gray clouds and contrails from eclipse-chasing aircraft.  Ohhhhhh, they were upset!

We had a very close call, but did have a cloud-free totality 😅

21 hours ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

I have never seen a total solar eclipse. As far as I remember, I have only seen one and that was the 2017 solar eclipse, and sadly I wasn't in the path of totality. 

The next eclipse though, I won't be able to see at all. But what I may do is travel to see it or something. Here is the map: The 2024 total eclipse path through North America

But dang in 2023, I will be able to see that one.

image.png.287ed598ce9442bb9310f80e22508782.png

almost total- wtf

Well its annular sooo nvm 

The April 2024 will be an easy drive for me, so definitely.  My daughter had a good shot at the 2017 but things got in the way and she couldn't make it. She was planning to head to Casper, WY for it.

4 minutes ago, KW2P said:

The April 2024 will be an easy drive for me, so definitely.  My daughter had a good shot at the 2017 but things got in the way and she couldn't make it. She was planning to head to Casper, WY for it.

Actually I lied I will be able to see it from where I am. Only 40% though. I live in Utah. So I may travel with my family and my friends may come as well somewhere like Texas to see totality. I don't know, in 2023 I am supposed to see a full annular eclipse. So I don't know, maybe I will just stay where i am and see. 

Well honestly I am looking forward to 2023-24. Speaking of eclipses where I am, next month in may 15-16 the longest lunar eclipse is supposed to be seen and I will be able to see the total lunar eclipse. My 3rd or 6th one. I don't remember. 

• Like 1

I missed the 2017 one due to a sudden medical "thing" that I couldn't put off... I had only been waiting for 2017 since early public school, so no biggie! (Yes, I'm still bitter...)

I'd love to hear your thoughts on where the best place to go to see it would be. Both from a "clear skies" perspective, and from a "this would make an amazing landscape photo" perspective. :)

Thanks,

DM