Region 2982

MinYoongi

The Sun will not give us a break.

Tiny Sunspot 2982 just gave us a rather big C-class Flare with a big Pop.

I would'nt have thought that, its so tiny and Noaa only gave it 5% chance. 

The reason i thought its not even a sunspot is because NOAA didnt even mentioned it on their latest Synoptic map and said in their Forecast that it Decayed to plage. I cant really see sunspots on SDO so how can a Plage manage to produce a C2 Flare?

Latest SWPC synoptic map

Edited by MinYoongi

27 minutes ago, HalfFeralHuman said:

Mmm.. I'm on board here. I think that region is about to get very interesting.

May I ask why?

13 minutes ago, Solarflaretracker200 said:

What’s with these nearly invisible sunspots giving us these powerful C and low M classes. Weird 

Which gave us M? 

16 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

May I ask why?

There's a humungus dark filament protuding next to it (which right now looks like it might be erupting, not sure). There was a lot of charge exchage in a sort-of-circle around the spot in a ring prior to the euption that just happened, but I think this one connected to and fell back to 2978/2981, so might trigger something there. /shrug

The 304, 211, 171 composite is a spectical right now whatever it means!

1 minute ago, HalfFeralHuman said:

There's a humungus dark filament protuding next to it (which right now looks like it might be erupting, not sure). There was a lot of charge exchage in a sort-of-circle around the spot in a ring prior to the euption that just happened, but I think this one connected to and fell back to 2978/2981, so might trigger something there. /shrug

The 304, 211, 171 composite is a spectical right now whatever it means!

Where can i watch the composite 

56 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

Why do you think its lifting off? Are there signs?

I'm not sure I said I thought it was lifting off then, and TBH I'm not sure what it's doing now. I'd say it hasn't yet. I'm nervous to make any call right now, but if forced to make a guess I'd expect it to pop soon.

[Edit] By 'It' I mean the filament next to 2982. .... otherwise this is kind of a 'no shit sherlock' thing to say.

Edited by HalfFeralHuman
Needed at least a bit of clarification.
  • Like 1

Just now, HalfFeralHuman said:

I'm not sure I said I thought it was lifting off then, and TBH I'm not sure what it's doing now. I'd say it hasn't yet. I'm nervous to make any call right now, but if forced to make a guess I'd expect it to pop soon.

But why? Im just trying to learn what to look for since i never really looked at Filaments. Do you maybe have a screenshot?

4 minutes ago, MinYoongi said:

But why? Im just trying to learn what to look for since i never really looked at Filaments. Do you maybe have a screenshot?

hear you. I could suggest you spend some time just watching archive footage of SDO's AIA 171, but I'd say if you really want to understand what you're looking at, go and lookup how transformers work first. That might seem like an odd suggestion, but you'd be surprised what you can learn from them, and how deeply connected those working are to the sun's activity and all electromagnitc physics.

But you asked for a shot of the filament I was talking about, here:

image.thumb.jpeg.42c2b89e5d6a6caeda21f0cbcc13d3d3.jpeg

1 hour ago, MinYoongi said:

Those Noaa outages are a BIT annoying mid flare     ....

Sure it was an outage and not an eclipse? If it is, if you click “more data” and hit the “secondary” at the bottom, you can see the secondary data which fills the gap 

4 hours ago, Orneno said:

Sure it was an outage and not an eclipse? If it is, if you click “more data” and hit the “secondary” at the bottom, you can see the secondary data which fills the gap 

Many outages. No solar wind data and no Goes, nothing at all. Like 3 times for up to an hour. 

I remember you talking about scheduled maintenance somewhere in April so it could be that