A big thank you

I also appreciate this forum. So few people even remotely pay attention to the sun, which is a far more fascinating and meaningful focus than 99% of the topics we are inundated with. We have a STAR nearby that we can observe, with new tech studying it all the time, it’s incredible!

Edited by David Silver
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to both of you!

The sun is a fascinating thing to study! There is still so much we don’t know, but instead of letting that be exploited by fearmongers, let’s get excited about a field that has so much left for us to discover!

Sometimes I feel like in the other earth sciences, either it’s all been discovered already, or it’s so complicated that I’m probably not smart enough to understand. (Not that the sun isn’t also very complex. That’s part of why we don’t understand it yet. It’s also just really far away.)

Here’s to a bright future with our neighborhood star!

I am new to this forum even though I have been following it for some time. I have been trying to understand auroras for over six years now, ever since a trip to Scotland, after which an event took place and that made me learn that we can see Auroras in Germany as well. The reason I came to this forum is because in similar German places, it's way harder to learn, mostly because German scientists (I am one myself, so I am allowed to say it) are very proud of their knowledge and consider sharing it with non-scientist a no-no. I have seen people here behaving differently which made me sign up here. So thank you, too!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Laney said:

I am new to this forum even though I have been following it for some time. I have been trying to understand auroras for over six years now, ever since a trip to Scotland, after which an event took place and that made me learn that we can see Auroras in Germany as well. The reason I came to this forum is because in similar German places, it's way harder to learn, mostly because German scientists (I am one myself, so I am allowed to say it) are very proud of their knowledge and consider sharing it with non-scientist a no-no. I have seen people here behaving differently which made me sign up here. So thank you, too!

Im from Germany too and I fully understand you. Massmedia like RTL and Bild get all facts wrong and fearmonger and scientists dont talk about their field.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MinYoongi said:

Im from Germany too and I fully understand you. Massmedia like RTL and Bild get all facts wrong and fearmonger and scientists dont talk about their field.

Yes, I saw. Hey there. Where are you from? I'm from the Baltic Sea Coast. 
That is another aspect, yes, although I don't deal with fearmongers 😉 But for some reason German scientists can be pretty snobby... oh, well. 

Can anyone explain the unusual EPAM right now? 

2 minutes ago, Laney said:

It’s from the long-duration M4, the one that launched the large recent CME we were discussing. It also launched a energetic particle cloud, that has already reached Earth and is causing an S1 minor radiation storm. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Orneno said:

It’s from the long-duration M4, the one that launched the large recent CME we were discussing. It also launched a energetic particle cloud, that has already reached Earth and is causing an S1 minor radiation storm. 

Thank you. I am still learning to read EPAM. And LASCO, while we're at it 😅

38 minutes ago, Laney said:

That is another aspect, yes, although I don't deal with fearmongers 😉 But for some reason German scientists can be pretty snobby... oh, well. 

Ich komme aus dem Ruhrpott 🥰

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Laney said:

Speaking of the Baltic seacoast, I was born in the U.S. but my mother was born in Hamburg in 1913 and her father was born in Lübeck. I've spent time on the beach at Lübeck with both of them.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 10:20 PM, MinYoongi said:

Ich komme aus dem Ruhrpott 🥰

😃Ich komme ursprünglich aus dem Sauerland!

On 4/3/2022 at 9:15 AM, KW2P said:

Speaking of the Baltic seacoast, I was born in the U.S. but my mother was born in Hamburg in 1913 and her father was born in Lübeck. I've spent time on the beach at Lübeck with both of them.

Oh wow! Do you ever come back for a visit? Lübeck is my next go to if I ever need a bigger town 😆 Beautiful, though!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Laney said:

😃Ich komme ursprünglich aus dem Sauerland!

Oh wow! Do you ever come back for a visit? Lübeck is my next go to if I ever need a bigger town 😆 Beautiful, though!

No, I doubt it. I went to Europe with my parents every other summer in the 1960s and would usually travel all over Europe alone with a 90 day Eurailpass. The last time I was there was 1994. If I could afford it, I'd move to Vienna, or Salzburg, or Murcia (Spain). German was my first language but it has deteriorated to useless from lack of use. In exchange, I've become completely fluent in Spanish and plan to return to Guatemala, where I've lived for years and like it very much.

• Like 2

On 4/4/2022 at 7:30 PM, KW2P said:

No, I doubt it. I went to Europe with my parents every other summer in the 1960s and would usually travel all over Europe alone with a 90 day Eurailpass. The last time I was there was 1994. If I could afford it, I'd move to Vienna, or Salzburg, or Murcia (Spain). German was my first language but it has deteriorated to useless from lack of use. In exchange, I've become completely fluent in Spanish and plan to return to Guatemala, where I've lived for years and like it very much.

That is a pitty - well, sort of. You seem to have come around a lot! 1994... I was 14 then. The country has changed so much since then. When I think back to the 90s... wow. The image in your head is completely outdated! 😉 I am not a city person. Vienna is a nightmare to me, honestly. I know Salzburg which I like a lot more, but I like it more in the North. If I could I'd be living somewhere in the northern half of Scotland 😄 

16 hours ago, MinYoongi said:

Ohh so the Germans are not a minority here anymore! Hehe🥰

Widely optimistic 😉

• Like 1