Sunspot photo taken with a phone

Dżor

There is a dust from Sahara being blown over Portugal. That makes the sunset much dimmer and even allows to look in the sun with a naked eye. Unlike clouds it creates sharp, even view. 356527413_20220326_1837292.thumb.jpg.6169f4218de4fe538205f7c31e00a5ca.jpg

I pointed Galaxy Note 20 Ultra camera into the sun. (5x optical zoom and 10x digital and postprocessing) and I was surprised to see a black dot that is rather not a planet.

575580520_20220326_1838522.thumb.jpg.00ed60a675dc54a1e7683bcc6a6fb605.jpg

Let me know if this is something else, because it's not showing on the spacewhether sunspot daily image.

Later after it became even dimmer, I was even able to barely see this dot with a naked eye + glasses :)

Very intriguing. 

• Like 1

Right!!

Somehow I though this satellite photo would be oriented same as my horizon, lol.

Compensating for earth tilt ~23deg, seasonality and my ~38deg latitude, I rotated the image by 60.8° which brought the my spots and 2975 relatively close together with an error of 13.8°, which I guess could be the camera orientation. 🤷‍♂️

(The spot appeared in second image, taken 3 minutes later and it was in the same place. And I compared them because initially I though it could be an airplane or something relatively close by.)

sunspot_rotated.jpg.171c7f1ff69a73e858915142cdf67c75.jpg

Edited by Dżor
  • Like 1

You are very much correct @Dżor you need take into account the tilt of the Earth and your location of course. Seems like you solved the riddle!

8 uren geleden, Tamara Ruggeri zei:

Amazing, I'm still a newbie at all this but in my opinion, I think that if it was a sunspot... That big, visible from Earth... That thing would gobble us up. 😂😅

I think it was something else! 

Welcome! Sunspots can get truly gigantic, becoming many times larger than the Earth and indeed they can become visible with the naked eye during dust storms or with proper equipment like eclipse googles. Sunspots that will gobble up us... no not so much haha.

• Haha 1

That angle error seemed to much to leave there like that... :)

I thought that maybe it was sun axis tilt of 7.25deg would account for some of it. But even though it is at 7.25deg from ecliptic, the way the earth axis (23.4deg from eclipticplane and sun axis plane are oriented between each other, together they can add up to only 26.31deg, so two extra deg wouldn't help much. 

Anyway, the majority of the error came from oversimplified calculation of seasonality and not accounting for time.

image.thumb.png.a48a9b3175c169a4021f99b33fee5929.png

After plugging numbers to the software I got a total of 49.8+25.81=-75.61deg correction between top of my picture and Sun's north pole.  

So now the angle error would be just -1.4 deg, which is great. 2976 it is! 

Also, looking at atmospheric features on the photo that should presumably be parallel to the horizon, but are at about 1.5deg, that brings the error really close to zero. 

Whoah, I learnt quiet a bit from that little photo. 

Edited by Dżor
  • Like 1