Russell-McPherron Effect

Kianna
Go to solution Solved by Drax Spacex,

I've been trying to learn the science of the sun and the aurora as a hobby for a couple of months now and I've recently come across the term "Russell-McPherron effect" as for the reason why people say the aurora is better around the equinoxes. I can't seem the wrap my head around it too well and I've tried to research it but I am either not as good at researching as I think or there isn't much information on it. Is there anyone here that can understand it or have researched it before?

Welcome Kianna,

The term is new to me but as far as I know aurora is statistically slightly more common during the equinoxes. I did hear and read about this yes. Not sure if there is any solid research done on this as to why this is but I assume Earth's tilt (and thus the orientation of magnetic field in relation to the incoming solar wind) plays a role in this.

• Thanks 1

I don’t fully understand it either. Here is what spaceweather.com says:

Disclamimer: this may not be fully accurate. Do your own research. 
It's true. Auroras really do love spring. Researchers call it the "
Russell-McPherron effect." During the weeks around equinoxes, cracks form in Earth's magnetic field, allowing solar wind to enter. Even a weak stream of solar wind or an off-target CME can spark a good display at high latitudes.

Edited by Orneno
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Marcel de Bont said:

I get a rash every time they talk about ''cracks'' in earth's magnetic field... 🤣

Oh phew, I’m glad I’m not the only one who raises their eyebrow when they talk about some southward Bz in a CME being a crack in Earth’s magnetic field 

• Solution

We bandied about this topic last year for a bit - not the scientists' names attributed to the pheonomenon but the phenomenon itself:  why more geomagnetic storms (and aurora) occur around the equinoxes.

2057-are-impacts-stronger-in-summer

Newbie: "The affect of the sun on the earth has more to do with the orientation of the Earth's magnetic field at equinox. During autumn and spring equinox, this orientation enables a 'connection' to the sun thereby allowing solar wind to stream in, it is not the case at other times of the year."

Edited by Drax Spacex
URL
  • Thanks 2

Thank you everyone for replying! While I was trying to search around for it, I did get the idea that it wasn't studied very well yet, so I'm happy someone at least replied to this.

Edit: I just read the post that you linked, Drax, and that is exactly what I was looking for! It helped me understand the phenomenon a little easier.

Edited by Kianna
  • Like 1