whats with the solar protons

farm24
Go to solution Solved by Vancanneyt Sander,

38 minuten geleden, farm24 zei:

that had to have been a powerful CME to increase the solar protons by that much from over the limb

Yes, only strong long duration eruptive events are capable of that.
too bad it wasn’t on the frontside… it would have become the strongest proton event of SC25 😜

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Yes, only strong long duration eruptive events are capable of that.
too bad it wasn’t on the frontside… it would have become the strongest proton event of SC25 😜

possibly even the strongest flare of SC25 (so far)

1 uur terug, farm24 zei:

Maybe they can just use the thrusters on SoLo (if it has any) to kick it into L3 lol

Let’s keep SOHO where it is, old and outdated 😉 it also won’t have the fuel to do such manoeuvre (at launch SOHO had 251kg fuel). SOHO does have thrusters to keep it in position, it doesn’t use its three gyroscopes anymore due to a malfunction in 1998 where we nearly lost the satellite (after the incident and regaining control it had 205kg of fuel left, about 4kg was needed to regain control). Shortly after a second anomaly occurred (end of 1998) that was again corrected by its thrusters (52 kilo of fuel was burned to achieve the expected result) early 1999. Where +20 years later so I guess fuel is getting low😉

17 hours ago, Orneno said:

Hang in there SOHO! It’s been a superstar trooper. I hope we get a fitting replacement up there soon. 

Unfortunately not.  I think we need a whole lot more solar observation platforms up there.  After all, the sun is the most interesting and exciting thing going on in the solar system.  So about a month ago I did a deep dive to see what future spacecraft were coming that I can look forward to.  The answer?  Nil, nix, nada, zilch.  Not only are there no interesting spacecraft being built and scheduled for launch in the future, I couldn't even find proposals.  So it will be years before we have any better instruments than what we have now.   😡

If anyone knows otherwise, I'd like to hear about it.

• Like 1

Not totally true, every few years there’s a new GOES satellite with some solar instruments on board (SUVI, x-ray) and one of the next-gen GOES satellites will have a new coronagraph which will become the replacement for the LASCO instrument (planned for 2024 and currently Lockheed Martin is installing it onboard GOES-U).

22 hours ago, Orneno said:

L3 spacecraft when??? 😇

What do we want? L3!  

When do we want it? All year! :0 

2 hours ago, KW2P said:

Unfortunately not.  I think we need a whole lot more solar observation platforms up there.  After all, the sun is the most interesting and exciting thing going on in the solar system.  So about a month ago I did a deep dive to see what future spacecraft were coming that I can look forward to.  The answer?  Nil, nix, nada, zilch.  Not only are there no interesting spacecraft being built and scheduled for launch in the future, I couldn't even find proposals.  So it will be years before we have any better instruments than what we have now.   😡

If anyone knows otherwise, I'd like to hear about it.

James Webb telescope will be providing some interesting sights here soon. Hopefully it inspires some people to get something built. 

Edited by Archmonoth

3 hours ago, Vancanneyt Sander said:

Not totally true, every few years there’s a new GOES satellite with some solar instruments on board (SUVI, x-ray) and one of the next-gen GOES satellites will have a new coronagraph which will become the replacement for the LASCO instrument (planned for 2024 and currently Lockheed Martin is installing it onboard GOES-U).

But do we poor dirtsiders in Europe getting direct access to GOES data? No we don't! All we get is GOES data via internet from NASA/NOAA. I wish the Europeans would get onboard to publish downlink protocol and frequencies for their weather satellites and more importantly also add solar observation instruments to the next satellites going up.

On 3/22/2022 at 1:28 PM, Archmonoth said:

What do we want? L3!  

When do we want it? All year! :0 

James Webb telescope will be providing some interesting sights here soon. Hopefully it inspires some people to get something built. 

Yes, there are a lot of things going on in space exploration and probes, but I was talking about solar observation, as I stated at the start of my reply. What's going on with the Webb is fantastic, almost unbelievable, but the Webb will certainly never observe the sun.

It's good that GOES sats have solar observation instruments, but I was referring to specific solar probes. I find it astonishing that we still don't have continuous high-res observation of the far side of the sun yet.

11 hours ago, KW2P said:

...but the Webb will certainly never observe the sun.

Well perhaps we can see the high-res surfaces of other stars. 

11 hours ago, KW2P said:

I find it astonishing that we still don't have continuous high-res observation of the far side of the sun yet.

Astonished you say? :)